Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altitude as a trigger? (Read 1107 times)
kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Altitude as a trigger?
Dec 22nd, 2019 at 7:54am

Hi,

I am heading to Colorado in March for a conference and was hoping to stick around and do some skiing, but am getting increasingly nervous about the possibility of this triggering a cycle. I never get them from flying, but am not sure that's any indicator of how I will respond to being in a low O2 environment. I used to start a cycle in the spring, but now it seems to be random.

I have read about taking Ginko Biloba, NSAIDs, and iron to try and prevent general headaches there and believe some hotels offer O2 should I need it. I think I will ask my headache MD about Diamox as well.

Wondering if anyone has personal experience with this, or any info that might help.

Thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2019 at 8:36am by kika »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Altitude as a trigger?
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2019 at 2:01pm

yo kika,

..actively vacationed 2 weeks yearly for 20 yrs at 4-8+ thousand ft...nearly always in cycle. also never got hit while flying but while there  all the"typical" hits I would have experienced anyway (IOW, no more no less)...

...my (successful) strategy was Lincare travel O2 program...would pick up half dozen e-tanks at airport city o2 shop and schlep them to cabin...carried my own non-rebreather clustermask and Zomig NS as abortive of last resort...

....have never heard of hotel supplied O2 (remember, tis a prescription med)...would be great but don't count on it til you talk to them....likely to be the expensive, stupid and worthless  faddish 'canned' O2 for apres ski...not enough volume, flow,  nor proper mask...

best

jonathan
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2019 at 2:36pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2019 at 2:14am

Being at altitude was never a problem for me.  It was the going up and most certainly the coming down, be it driving down a mountain or landing in an aeroplane.

I hated flying in cycle but for some reason it never bothered me while skydiving.

Such a strange beast we live with.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 2:15am

I live in Denver. Going to the mountains I usually get a HA around 9000ft. I also get them when I head towards sea level.

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 12:15pm

Thanks everyone for the info. Have an appt with my MD at end of month. Good to know about getting O2 at the airport.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!