Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 Rebounds (Read 1685 times)
Floggered
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

O2 Rebounds
Jan 30th, 2020 at 8:48am

Long time lurker and first time poster.

I have had episodic CHs for two decades. I’ve managed cycles through sumatriptan sprays, redbull, ice water, and/or gritting my teeth. I began O2 with rebreather therapy a few years ago and it worked miraculously with no issues or rebounds.

But something changed this cycle:  On several occasions when I use O2 to knock out nocturnal CHs, my CH will be aborted within 10-20 mins. I’ll get back to sleep, but be woken up 45mins-hour after. This will occur 3-6 times during the night.

I’ve had rebounds with sumatriptan sprays, but never with O2. And I also haven’t seen anyone else have rebounds with O2.

Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have idea what’s going on?  It would be tragic to lose O2 as an abortive option.

Thanks to you all!
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2020 at 8:56am by Floggered »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: O2 Rebounds
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 10:45pm

G'day,  Floggered,  and welcome.

I'm no expert on O2 so I just lifted this from the Oxygen Info section just on the left of the screen  - 

When and how long to use the O2

Grab the O2 as SOON as you feel it coming on.  Speed is the name of the game.  The sooner you get on the O2, the better the success rate.  Stay on it for 15 to 20 minutes.  If it has not killed the hit, stop using it. Bear through 10 minutes without the O2, and then hit it again.  If the O2 does not work the first time, the second time is almost always the charm for me.  Something about that 10 minute break seems to do it, for me.

You don’t need to stay on it for the full 20 minutes, if it stops the hit well before that time.  BUT, stay on it for 5 minutes AFTER the last of the pain is gone.  The first and last place I have pain is just above my cheek bone, at my temple.  I press my finger into that spot, and if I still feel some pain, I stay on the O2.

Trial and error will let you know what works best for you.

……………………………..

I've also heard others comment that staying on it even longer after the hit is beaten lessens the chances of rebounds but it's lousy that it's worked so well for you and now it changes.

Proves only what a nasty monster this thing really can be.

Good luck,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 12:35pm

Hey Floggered,

You're likely experiencing what I call a CGRP cascade caused by an allergic reaction to something in your environment or diet.  A Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide (CGRP) cascade is characterized by 3 or more CH/night with less than an hour between them.  Preventatives are ineffective and abortives are short lived.

This CH condition starts with an allergic reaction that cause mast cells to release large quantities of histamine.  The histamine attaches to H1 receptors on DNA within neurons. This causes these neurons to express CGRP and that triggers a CH.  The CGRP also acts like an allergen to mast cells so they release even more histamine which triggers neurons to express even more CGRP. 

This results in a circular biochemical chain reaction with a flood of CGRP that continues until this biochemical chain reaction runs out of reactants and the CH stops.  Unfortunately, our bodies recharge mast cells and neurons with essential nutrients to start this process all over again in less than an hour.

The first step is halting the allergic reaction is to start a week to 10 day course of a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every four hours throughout the day.  It passes through the blood brain barrier (BBB) to block histamine H1 receptors at the DNA level in neurons throughout the brain and in particular the trigeminal ganglia where most of the CGRP is expressed.  Second- and third-generations (non-drowsy) antihistamines can't pass through the BBB so are not as effective.

The Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) will prevent the CGRP triggered CH attacks but it won't prevent CH.  To do that you'll need to start the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3, 400 mg/day magnesium, 11 mg/day zinc, 1 mg/day boron, 900 mcg/day vitamin A (retinol), a tablet a day of the vitamin B 100 complex and 1200 mg/day Omega-3 fish oil.

You can find this treatment protocol at the following vitaminDwiki.com link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I know you'll have questions so fire away as they come up.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2020 at 12:37pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Floggered
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 8:25pm

Batch,

I really appreciate the advice and link. I know many have had success with D3 and I’m going to try it.

I started Benadryl today.

My question:  can I do both the Benadryl regime and the D3 at the same time?

IP Logged

Deana Dmonte
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 6:23am

Hello, Reading about the D3 regime on a few post but have searched the forum and cant find the core info. Could someone post a link please? Many Thanks

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 2:14am

Deana Dmonte wrote on Feb 10th, 2020 at 6:23am:
Hello, Reading about the D3 regime on a few post but have searched the forum and cant find the core info. Could someone post a link please? Many Thanks

G'day,  Deana.  Try this one.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 3:38pm

Good evening,
I have had a 2 year remission and the beast is back with vengence.  I am getting rebounds mentioned above and have started the 25mg of Diphenhydramine( Nytol in the UK)  every 4 hours.  I have been using the new water soluble D3, but had got lazy taking it because of being pain free for so long. 
Had an awful night last night, went to work though with a Kip3 still going on (oxygen had stopped working for me at around 3:30 am).
Have a call with my Doc tomorrow to adjust my perscription from continuous flow to demand valve, should be about a week before I get my new tanks, clearly I cant wait to be able to demand higher flow.  The advice from Batch on the seeking of parathesia/alkalosis is spot on, just need to get the O2 inside me faster.  I have the Clusterhead mask, but 15 lpm takes too long to fill it.  I have got around this before by having two bottles alonside each other and alternately breathing from them to get a much quicker abort time, although a Kip 9 really makes the co-ordination of that and the correct breathing action so difficult.
Batch thank you again, you are a lifesaver.
Kind regards
Ian
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2020 at 3:39pm by Radar63 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!