Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil/Steroid Treatment Question (Read 828 times)
Bearscare5
CH.com Newbie

I have CH, CH do not have
me!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Verapamil/Steroid Treatment Question
Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:29pm

Hey folks!

Last Thursday I started Verapamil 240mg/day along with Prednisone as a bridge.  I also started taking Melatonin 10mg at night for my night hits. 

Aside from the first morning after I started the treatment, I don't believe I've had any full-blown hits, but have noticed shadows throughout many of the days (maybe in place of the hits?).

I have read that the verapamil is supposed to reduce the frequency and/or severity of attacks, and I was normally at 1-2/day (luckily) frequency. 

Has anyone else had similar experience?

Don't get me wrong, I would trade daily shadows for full-blown attacks any day!

Be well!

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Re: Verapamil/Steroid Treatment Question
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 10:43pm

Verapamil takes several days to work its way to full effect.  I would guess the improvement you are seeing is the result of the prednisone.  When I was on Verapamil, like you, I did have fairly regular shadows.  To me that was a sign that the beast will still in there, active, but thankfully restrained.

if you have suffered alot of nighttime hits in the past, you might look into a sleep study.  There is growing evidence of a possible link between sleep apnea and CH.  After getting diagnosed and put on a CPAP machine my CH have essentially disappeared for nearly 6 years.

IP Logged

Bearscare5
CH.com Newbie

I have CH, CH do not have
me!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Verapamil/Steroid Treatment Question
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 8:11am

Thanks, Traveller.

I appreciate your input.  I actually just started getting the nighttime hits this cycle, so they are new for me.

If they persist, I'll be sure to follow your advice  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!