Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back after a long absence (Read 1033 times)
Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Back after a long absence
May 5th, 2021 at 10:46pm

Hello the Group,

To quote Godfather III: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" Or maybe that's a paraphrase.

Anywho I've been dealing with two kinds of cancer the last dozen years or so, and the fact that my last actual cluster cycle was maybe 6-8 years back was a nice bonus.

However I'm fearing that the old Beast may be back. Back then I got relief from O2 and also a course of Topomax. I wrote to my current neuro today and he's ordered me some more, but says that in fact he prefers Verapamil. My previous neuro thought of Verap as an "old line" drug, with Topo being newer and improved, as it were. This was 14 or more years ago.

I do know about the vitamin regimen so thoughtfully put together by Batch, and remember trying it at some point with uncertain results. So I'm not above doing so again. But for now I've refilled my welder's tank and will try the meds.

So, the question: what is the current recommendation for those of you taking these little goodies? My neuro said I could take both at the same time but I'm reluctant.

I know Topo works (even if it makes me feel stupid). Should I do the Verap instead?

Many thanks, friends. I wish you all painfree everything.

David

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Back after a long absence
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2021 at 12:43am

I really hate saying Welcome Back,  but welcome back anyway.

Can't help with the chemical queries but it's worth noting the vitamin D regimen has been seriously fine-tuned over the years so it's well worth that second look as many CHeads are getting very good results.

The O2 has also has a rev up with far higher pressures resulting in quite spectacular improvements.  The new ClusterMask is remarkably popular along with new breathing techniques which seem to make things even more betterer again.

Rotten shame the monster never lost your address but here's cheers to a brighter future,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2021 at 5:48pm

Brian, thanks a lot for your wisdom and wit. Batch was kind enough to see my post and send me a pdf of his vitamin study, which sure is impressive!

On the O2 question - yeah, I know about the high flow rate/total lung clearing and deep refilling method and used it to good advantage during my last cycle 8 or so years ago. The other day I refilled my welder's tank and have dusted off the rest of the gear.

Today is Friday. The first glimmers of head trouble started Monday. Interestingly (thankfully!), although the shadows are still with me, I can't say the pain has gone above about a Kip 3. It's weird and a first for me lo these many years, but I ain't complaining.

Wondering if it's due to my age (nearly 68) or the elimination of what I'm pretty sure was always my main tripwire, viz. alcohol.

I thought I saw a thread about growing out of CHs so I'll muse further there.

Again, thanks a million for jumping in. I really appreciate it!

David in CA

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2021 at 1:04am

Stick with what works best for you, but I wouldn't mix the two together, and yes, oxygen is a great abortive, but you need a preventative, so try one of the two mentioned and see how you go. I'm on the vitamin D regiment, and been CH free for the past 9yrs.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2021 at 4:09pm

vitamin D regiment works for me.

Mark.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2021 at 7:31pm

Thanks again, all. I must say that this time around has been extremely different for me. I can not in good conscience call it a cycle even though it began ominously.

I had on and off Kip 3 or so for a maybe 10 days. At the outset I really thought the worst was coming and grabbed new O2 and a bottle of Topomax, since both had worked in the past.

But then - well, for the last I'd say a week at least - nothing. I have the very faintest of shadows here and there but days go by without my even noticing, and unless I'm fooling myself I think I dodged a cannonball here.

There is one major thing different today than the last time I had a genuine cycle: I take a few grams of kratom every day that I began initially for anxiety. I haven't seen anyone writing about it here, nor has anyone discussed CH on the main kratom forum I attend.

Who knows, maybe that's what's been keeping the Beast at bay. Whatever... I'll take it!

Thanks for reading.

IP Logged

Graemel
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Taupo NZ
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2021 at 5:24am

hey there and sorry your CH is back. I use verapamil and had an extremely bad experience when changing to epilim. I have heard topomax can be bad as well. In my case I stopped chronic CH by increasing verapamil until the CH stopped. This was at 1200mg per day. I have since dropped to 120mg per day and am managing CH very well. Just shadows and occasional moderate Ch which I abort with sumitriptan 100mg. Best of luck to you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!