Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dizziness with high flow oxygen (Read 1110 times)
Hello
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Dizziness with high flow oxygen
Aug 19th, 2021 at 8:33pm

Hi there,

I just started using high flow oxygen and I'm finding that the hyperventilating or taking fairly fast deep breaths is making me very dizzy. Does anyone have any advice for how to benefit from the oxygen without being sick from the hyperventilation.

Thank you!

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Re: Dizziness with high flow oxygen
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 12:14am

Hello,

When I had a chance to use oxygen I just took deep breaths slow and steady and I stayed on the oxygen 10 to 15 minutes longer after the cluster was over just to make sure it was gone.

Mark

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 2:20am

G'day,  Hello,  and welcome to the madhouse.

Best bet is probably just to experiment with different settings and breathing until you get something that works well without feeling lousy.

If you haven't already seen it,  there's a button on the left side of your screen marked  Oxygen Info  and it contains heaps of little tricks to get best results.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you're getting on because we care.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 12:03pm

Hello,

Here’s what works best for me. Slow, deep intake of Oxygen to full lung capacity. Hold for 5 seconds and release slowly to empty.

This method allows the time for the Oxygen to be absorbed into the bloodstream and works well with the O2 mask on sale here, (see CH.com store, on the left above), as it corresponds approximately with the time it takes for the bag to refill.

It takes a bit of practice.

Best,

Peter.

« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2021 at 6:32pm by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Hello
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 2:54pm

Thanks for the help and feedback!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 8:55am

Hey Hello,

Dizziness when hyperventilating with 100% oxygen is actually a good sign you're getting the most benefit from the oxygen therapy and the fastest CH abort possible.  Sit erect in a straight back chair if you get too dizzy.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 9:49am

So if you are in the ideal world of a demand regulator on your oxygen, should we just breath as fast and hard, inhale and exhale as you can and reach hyper ventilation (something perversely I really struggle to get to)?

IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2021 at 8:04pm

Dissolved oxygen (as opposed to oxygen attached to red blood cells) is what quells a cluster. Hyperventilating causes blood vessels to constrict and that can help quell the cluster by another means. I will start with the slow deep breaths: blowing out as much as possible (like blowing out 100 birthday candles), and inhaling as much as possible. Most of our blood flow in the lungs is at the apex (top) of the lungs so the big inhale is important. Sometimes if the cluster hangs on I'll do a little hyperventilation. You'll figure it out.

IP Logged

Radar63
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

UK
Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2021 at 5:06am

Maryo,  thank you, that is interesting. I think the interesting thing is, as you say, each of us it will work differently and trying different things will lead to the best fit solution.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!