Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Verapamil greatly prolongs my current cycle (Read 592 times)
RickJim
CH.com Junior

Giving up is not an option.

Vancouver, British Columbia
Using Verapamil greatly prolongs my current cycle
Feb 9th, 2023 at 9:25pm

Hi Cluster headache sufferers,

I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced that taking Verapamil makes their cycle longer. I've been using it for my cluster headaches for the second time now and I'm noticing that this cycle is much longer than my previous cycle.

The first time I used Verapamil, it helped to lessen the severity of my headaches, but my cycle lasted about 10 weeks as normal. This time around, I started taking Verapamil before my first headache hit, and while I haven't had severe headaches, my cycle has lasted a lot longer. I started having headaches in August and even though the pain subsided in January, I had to start taking Verapamil again when the headaches came back.

I'm starting to wonder if Verapamil is making my cluster headaches chronic. Has anyone else had this experience with Verapamil?
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2023 at 9:28pm by RickJim »  

Thanks

Rick
https://www.facebook.com/rjimenezt  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Using Verapamil greatly prolongs my current cycle
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2023 at 1:17am

I don't know much at all about verapamil,  RickJim,  but I have heard you shouldn't stop taking it suddenly.  Seems the best bet is to discuss it with your doctor regarding a change in dosage or a tapered withdrawal.

Hope this helps,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 1:34pm

From my post on ClusterBusters:

It helped me for a while. It kept the hits away, I'd come off it after a while and be PF without it. Then slowly I had to stay on it longer and with a higher dose to be effective. When I'd try to come off it, the hits would start creeping back in even when I should have been out of cycle. I thought for a good while I had high and low cycles, so I just kept taking the crap. When I finally became fed up with the side effects, I started tapering off just 25 mg at a time over the course of months. Combining that with some busting and D3 usage, I'm PF the majority of the time.

So, for me...it helped.....and it hurt. Personally, I'd only go back on the stuff if I was having no luck with ANYTHING else. Your experiences may be totally different.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Crystal M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 9:39am

I am having this same issue currently. Started Verapamil 2020 with my last cycle and it helped. Normally my cycles are 8 weeks and stayed that way in 2020. My Dr never tapered me off after my cycle was over so Ive been taking as "prevention' since. New cycle started in October 2022 and nothing would stop cycle. Tried steroid taper three times, as well as upping the verapamil dose. I have completed the Vitamin D3 regimen and don't have any headaches now but still shadows with my normal triggers so I know Im still in cycle over 5 months now. I've tried tapering off the Verapamil and can't even cut one out five that I take daily without it triggering full blown headaches again. I'm certain its the Verapamil thats prolonged but not sure why or how to "reset" and get off the Verapamil.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2023 at 3:48am

I can't begin to answer your question,  Crystal,  but thought I'd jump in anyway to welcome you aboard the good ship CH.com.

Happily we've a few people here who are quite good at the medication side of things and will be able to make a few suggestions.

It's a rotten disease we've chosen but there's always hope for the future,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2023 at 4:11pm

Crystal M wrote on Mar 19th, 2023 at 9:39am:
I've tried tapering off the Verapamil and can't even cut one out five that I take daily without it triggering full blown headaches again. I'm certain its the Verapamil thats prolonged but not sure why or how to "reset" and get off the Verapamil.

As posted above I tapered very slowly. If you can mix and match different dose strengths to come up with a slightly lower total daily dose it will go easier. It took me months to taper off.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!