New sufferer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Cluster Headaches Messages ]

Posted by Greg ( on September 05, 1999 at 22:36:10:

In Reply to: New sufferer posted by Barry Kaufman on September 04, 1999 at 22:47:12:

Hi Barry, sorry you had to join us cluster heads. As Linda said you didn't say what kind of doctor you went to see. My first and most important piece of advice is to find a Neurologist who is a headache specialist. Not any G P will do and not just any Neuro will do. Understand that clusters generally cresendo (sp?) over time starting out smaller in your younger years getting worse over time and then quieting down later (late 50's or early 60's). The key to drug therapy is to take only what you need for now leaving options for later. That is why you must find yourself a talented headache specialist. They have the experience to adjust your meds for any point in your cluster lifetime which hopefully is not your entire life time. After several years of medication I have graduated to a mix of Verapamil and Lithium to avoid the CH and I use Imitrix stat injection to stop breakthrough attacks which occure as the disorder worsens. As you know not all CH's are equal and I only take the Imitrex if the pain moves into my teeth as at this point I know the thing has gone over the top and beyond my ability to bear it reasonably. Best wishes to you for pain free days and nights. Greg P

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Cluster Headaches Messages ]