Posted by Mark V (18.104.22.168) on August 11, 2000 at 16:38:59:
I developed a unilateral headache about two weeks ago with severe pressure behind my left eye and excessive tears in my left eye. My doctor's first diagnosis was shingles, but when I didn't develop any blisters after a week, he suggested it might be trigeminal neuralgia. I went for a second opinion at an after hours clinic on Sunday and that doctor suggested that it might be cluster headaches. My doctor now agrees and has put me on Elavil (40mg), ibuprofen, and vicodin.
I still haven't had any relief. I've read a lot of the messages on this board and researched some other sites, but I still have some questions. I would appreciate your thoughts. Here are some of my symptoms:
1. My headaches don't really come and go. I always have a bad headache and the skin by my eye is very sensitive to the touch. The pain intensifies at times, but I have not had anything below a 3 on the Kip scale for the past two weeks.
2. My left eye tears all the time and forms a white pus in the corner. It is almost like the tears are caustic because if I let them roll down my face it burns. Visine doesn't help.
3. Just today, my vision has started to become very blurry. It makes me nauseated to read. Could this be from the headaches or the Elavil?
4. I don't wake up in the middle of the night at all. In fact, morning is the best time for me. I get up, go to work, but have to leave by lunchtime.
5. I definitely don't want to move around a lot during the periods of the most intense pain. What works best is lying on the sofa with the ceiling fan on and a handkerchief covering my left eye.
So, what do you all think? Is this in anyone's range of experience? And what can I do for my oozing eye? It's about to drive me insane.
Thanks for your help,
Post a Followup