Disability Laws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Cluster Headaches Messages ]

Posted by jackie ( on November 05, 2000 at 01:08:53:

In Reply to: Uncaring supervisor posted by nancy collins on November 04, 2000 at 11:33:52:

Your employer has to let you have the time off. But understand that most states have a clause in the contract that says they can fire you with cause of with out cause.

I would contact the interdepartmental heads above the supervisor and keep working throught the ladder.

You can also contact the Labor department and make a complaint. Their is also a law called the Family medical leave act and also Americans with Disabilitys act. These are meant to protect you on the job. Does your hospital have a labor union? if you you can contact them. Bottom line if md says this is a disability the employer has to make necessary provisions, especially in a larger company.

Keep documentation of letters, what you supervisor said, dates missed, etc. Document EVERYTHING!! This will cover you butt in case you are fired, Like I was several years ago, when the hospital I was working at decided they couldn't follow my restrictions, which needless to say were the same as when they fired me.

You can also fill out incident reports on days that working made it worse. This will also help if you get fired. But Document,document, document everything you can remember until now and keep a diary of dates, times, who was working with you etc.

If in the event you do get fired. Go to the Labor Department in your state or call them and they can send you forms to fill out, they will do an internal investigation and the hospital could end up fined, and you might get some monetary ... Also the labor department can give you the right to sue on top of all that (this can take months to get but you can write for a letter asking for the right to sue) Hope this doesn't happen, just keep getting the doctors excuses and bringing them to the supervisor/administration.

I was in your shoes many years ago and this helped my case against the hospital. You may also want to check you employee file in administration department..eg: for bad comments, bad job performances etc.

Also you can call labor department now and ask for information to be sent to you on the disability laws.

Keep your chin up Good luck Jackie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Cluster Headaches Messages ]



Click Here!