another name

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Cluster Headaches Messages ]
Help us fight Cluster Headaches! Visit the O.U.C.H. Website!

Posted by Trudy ( on February 22, 2001 at 14:35:43:

In Reply to: What are they called posted by Ted on February 22, 2001 at 09:47:32:

The only other name I've found from reading everything I can get my hands on about my ice pick headaches are "idiopathic stabbing headaches" - guess they are one and the same.

Interestingly enough, after battling these for about a year, I started my search with my family doctor who thought it was stress (not), referred me to a neurologist at MY suggestion, and after only 5 minutes..when she asked me how to describe them, the first thing out of my mouth was that it felt like someone was shoving a "red-hot ICE PICK into my head". I had never in my life heard of anything named an ice pick headache - I just knew what it felt like. Leave it to me to have something so rare that my neurologist at IU Med. Center had never actually seen a real person who suffered from these - she had only read about them. The "stabs" from the ice picks don't sound too bad until you realize that they ALWAYS occur in the same spot on my head, and that spot isn't just feels like upon the very first stab that it's a gaping wound and someone repeatedly shoves a glowing red hot piece of metal into it..That's one of my fears too, it seems that Indocin is the only known medicine that can prevent these..if I start having stomach problems one of these days - what then?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Cluster Headaches Messages ]



Click Here!