Posted by Bob P (22.214.171.124) on April 05, 2001 at 18:33:20:
In Reply to: Your help would be appreciated! posted by rebecca on April 05, 2001 at 16:40:37:
the headches make us snap at people for no real reason.
You have to understand Rebecca that cluster headaches are sometimes called the worst pain that humans experience. It's a pain that's been compared to accidental amputation or abnormal child birth. So your question is really like asking, what activities are you unable to do while you're delivering a breech baby. We're not able to do anything but try to stay alive till the headche is over. Well here goes anyway:
1. When I'm actually having a headache, I can't do anything.
2. When I'm in a cluster but not actually having a headache I never drank alcohol because it meant an instant headache. I didn't go to parties or visiting friends or relatives. I left the house as seldom as possible. I preferred to weather the headaches at home, in familiar surroundings. I became a shut-in unless I absolutely had to go somewhere.
3. I know my productivity at work goes down during a cluster. Mostly because of the drugs and the lack of sleep. I pretty much become a walking zombie. I get through the day but thats about it.
4. I have no relationships during a cluster. My wife and kids stay clear of me. I try to get through work acting as normal as possible.
5. I think you've experienced how they affect our mood. I get grumpy as hell.
6. I use any and all drugs that may get rid of the pain. I've used beta blockers, steroids, calcium channel blockers, pain killers, blood pressure meds, NSAID's, vasso-constrictors, streneous exercise, meds related to LSD. When I'm in a headache I will do anything to stop the pain. Like my buddy hub says, I'd eat dog turds if it would help.
Hope this helps you with your report. When you become a therapist and are dealing with clusterheads, I hope you'll recall what you learned here.
Cluster headaches suck big time.
Post a Followup