Posted by Simon (184.108.40.206) on July 19, 2001 at 11:44:33:
In Reply to: Side Effects..... posted by Cranpain on July 18, 2001 at 20:53:47:
The Board is indeed about sharing information, and side effects are an important aspect of that.
The point I made though was that we are seeing a lot of unchallenged, and UNSUPPORTED, statements that particular treatments are dangerous, from people who have not tried them. It seems to me that we have to balance this with information from those who have not had such reactions if we are to provide people with information.
Inevitably the negative always wins out, and my concern is that some may be being discouraged from trying things because of individual experiences.
If we follow it to the logical conclusion, since we know:
1. OTC meds are dangerous in the quantities that may be effective,
2. Most meds have side effects for some individuals,
3. Surgery is almost always ineffective, and typically destructive,
4. Shrooms etc are illegal in most places,
5. Alternative therapies do not work for most people,
we are left with suffering in silence with occasional resort to a hot/cold shower and a bag of frozen peas.
I think we actually owe visitors a little more than that.
Post a Followup