Posted by Margi (220.127.116.11) on September 06, 2001 at 09:43:17:
In Reply to: HUSBAND, real help posted by bradley on September 06, 2001 at 04:49:56:
I'm sorry to hear that you and your husband are going through this. I'm a supporter too and I intimately understand how it feels to watch him hurt like this and feel totally helpless to stop the pain for him. There ARE a few non-medical things you can try, until you can get him in to see a neurologist who knows about clusterheadaches.
My husband has not had any luck with any of the cluster meds out there either. But I would sure try to get your hubby off the valium if at all possible - it's not going to cure his clusters!
Here are a few things you can try:
1. Ice bag applied on the back of the neck or directly on the pain - frozen peas or corn in the bags work well too. Something that is pliable works best.
2. Oxygen - inhaling pure oxygen at the onset of the attack has helped quite a few people here. If you are desparate, call your local fire station and see if they will let your hubby come and use their oxygen. We have welders' oxygen at home and it is available without a prescription. OR, he can try to do some aerobic exercise to get the oxygen level of his blood up - that has also helped some people here.
3. Dramamine or Benadryl before bed will sometimes produce sleep as a side effect and get him through the night without an attack.
4. Lots and LOTS of water - check out the Water x 3 button to the left - if he is med free and if he does the treatment correctly - it may make a difference for him.
5. Check out the Headache Links button to the left as well, then scroll down and check out the Alternative Cluster Headache Treatments - that method has helped quite a few folks as well (my hubby included).
And, finally, for YOU as a supporter, please visit our Family Services Team - we are a group of supporters and sufferers who understand what you are going through and sometimes it helps even just to know you are not alone.
Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com directly if you need to yell, scream, swear or whatever. Been there, done that, ok?
Post a Followup