Posted by Flash (126.96.36.199) on September 21, 2001 at 18:12:47:
In Reply to: Flash shroom collecting in UK posted by Steve Y on September 21, 2001 at 12:45:39:
I can tell visually by looking at the field. I'll try and put this into words.
1) Field must not be sheltered. Should be windswept.
2) Field should contain some plants such as gorse and broom.
3) Field should have some dried up boggy patches, preferrably with reeds growing in them, but without actual standing water.
4) Field should not be full of cows - the cows will eat the shrooms (true). But there should be some presence of animal dung on the ground.
5) Field should have some rabbits living in it, and some rabbit shit.
6) Most important is the presence of other mushrooms. Puffballs etc.
Magic mushrooms will grow in slightly sheltered dips in the ground, especially on the perimeter of the dried up boggy areas. They will be in trooping formation, like toy soldiers. Where there's one there's more.
Best time to look is early morning when the ground is wet with dew. Pick a sunny day if possible since the shrooms are easier to identify when dry. Wet a couple of much less potent species look similar. The real thing in an off shite colour.
Take the guide book with you. Really get used to what the shrooms look like. I have posted detailed descriptions in the past, check the posts on the hallucinogenic treatment site.
Fungis is not particularily uniform, and the lines between species can often appear blurred. Only pick the text book examples.
Post a Followup