Posted by Lepomis (184.108.40.206) on September 26, 2001 at 22:11:39:
From 1996 - Sept 2000, I dealt with cluster headaches - 3 to 4 per week (always over my left eye. I took many drugs to control them. Imitrex was the only drug to stop a cluster once it took hold. I also took many prophylactic drugs over that time. Most of the drugs had side effects such as fatique, constipation, etc.
Since Sept 2000, I have had 5 cluster headache attacks, 4 were caused by excessive alcohol intake. Note: I refrained from alcohol when I had clusters.
How did I cure the clusters:
1. Implemented the information in Anthony Robbins' Personal Power II CDs. I DID NOT quit my stressful career. Learned how to control my thoughts (somewhat).
2. Stopped taking most drugs. I have taken Imitrex to stop the clusters I got. I have taken "Excedrin for Migranes" when I feel a headache coming on. It is not a perfect cure...
3. Read and implemented information in books by Depak Chopra. Learned about myself and more on how to control my thoughts.
4. Started daily medititation practice. Learned to relax, enjoy the little things, not sweat the small stuff. See Dr. Weil's audio tapes on meditation. see www.drweil.com
5. Reading other self help books. Try to implement things slowly. Reading Barbara DeAngelis to improve my relationship with my wife and be less stressed.
6. Improved my diet. I have always been big on exercise.
Can doctors help? Yes, to break the cycle they are useful, but long term, I feel drugs and American trained doctors do not help. It is up to us to unlock our body's natural healing processes. I does not happen over night, slow incremental progress is what I experienced.
Note: I am a male age 45 that used to make fun of people who meditate, drink green tea with honey and eat tofu. Now I do not make fun and enjoy all three.
Post a Followup