Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 14th, 2024, 4:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Beast is in the box ... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Beast is in the box ...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beast is in the box ...  (Read 392 times)
TonyG1

Email

Beast is in the box ...
« on: Mar 21st, 2005, 8:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dare I say it ... no I won't .... for me, at least for now (knock on wood), it seems the beast is put back in the box and the box is chained and locked tight .... thank you verapamil !!!! Grin  I guess I'll officially know when I start tapering off of the verap ( a week or so from now)  Fingers crossed but I've not had so much as a shadow lately --- hope I'm not jinxing myself  Roll Eyes

Here is what I got from this cycle ... an official diagnosis, a low cholestrol diet, went from smoking Marlboro Reds to Marlboro Ultra lights (working toward quitting), a general practioner, a neurologist,  a brain scan (MRI / MRA), a WHOLE bunch of knowledge gained from this website and the folks here who share so freely (thank you all !!!) --- Sounds kinda like a shopping list ...  

I'll be on the board from time to time with any new info I may come across and to hopefully provide some level of support to others.

Again, thank you all !!  I wish you all many PFDANs !

Tony
IP Logged
don

Email

Re: Beast is in the box ...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 8:12pm »

Sounds like you got a package deal there and a good one at that!

Enjoy your PF time!
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 8:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Congrats Tony - on another cycle completed and done.

Please stick around.  Share what has helped you with others who come here.  You might find you're repeating yourself alot, but it's worth it if you can help even one other clusterhead.

Enjoy that PF time!  Many hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 8:33pm »

on Mar 21st, 2005, 8:25pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
it's worth it if you can help even one other clusterhead.

Enjoy that PF time!  Many hugs,

Kris

Thanks Kris !  I'll do that, I couldn't agree with you more!

BTW Don -- Yep I got the full package and more I think -- this was the first cycle I ever sought medical treatment ( 8 or 9 cycles later - about every two years or so.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 8:42pm »

on Mar 21st, 2005, 8:33pm, TonyG1 wrote:

Thanks Kris !  I'll do that, I couldn't agree with you more!

BTW Don -- Yep I got the full package and more I think -- this was the first cycle I ever sought medical treatment ( 8 or 9 cycles later - about every two years or so.

Thatta boy Wink...Glad to hear it and ditto on the first cycle seeking treatment.....This place is very special!
Happy for ya!

E.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 11:50pm »

Tony,  

That's great news! Congrats, and enjoy, it truly is wonderful to be free. I am happy to hear of your remission.

Ditto what you said:
Knock on wood... me too... I think we found this place around the same time. Verapamil gave me my life back, a far cry from my last cycle. Almost 11 weeks into it, I am about to try weaning off the verapamil as well. Still shadowing here, but less and less frequently now. I realize how very fortunate we are that the meds worked for us. This time. I wish I could say I have made as many healthy changes as you have! A pat on the back for ya Tony.

And what you said --this website and the people here are amazing -always ready to help and repeat themselves over and over. A real special place (you're so right E-dub, -btw -heya!).  

I'll be hanging around too. I had a real wakeup call after an 18 year remission. I recently read that MS affects 0.1% of the population, about the same as CH... but who has heard of CH, while everyone has heard of MS?  

Anyway, my point, lots can be done. There is an annual bike race here, the MS 150, where people ride their bicycles from Houston to Austin to raise money for MS research. How about a CH150??? CH150s in many cities... Why not? After hanging around this place, and my own limited experience, I understand that CH can be as debilitating as MS, and just as deserving of big fundraisers and big research. For instance, why are some of us chronic, and others have long remsissions? A real puzzle in my mind for a disorder that current thinking says is related to our body clocks. Just one question of many that could lead to better treatments or even a cure.

Tony, you and I, being out of cycle (fingers crossed), we have more energy and time now to work towards outreach and fundraising, and to support others dealing with CH.  

Don't mean to hijack your thread, just some thoughts running around my head --this is about you! And again, best to ya.  

And thanks to DJ and everyone that posts here --I appreciate all your efforts.

be well, and pfdans.

Debbie
IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
Charlie_-_Florida
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:01am »

PF days....great.

Happy the Verapamil worked for you.....For me NO.

Sufferer for over 40 yrs........tried it all.

My Rx....with 80 % good results.....Prednisone (Ugh), and Imitrex (Restricted daily use).

Anyone have anything new they have tried ?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:06am »

Welcome Charlie and yes...we have. Look at all the related links here. Read through them and ask questions.
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1110584362
Pain free wishes, nani

BTW...great news Tony!!!
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:07am »

hey that's great! verapamil and melatoin did it for me, i think! at least that's what i was takin' when they stopped. April 11 will be 120 days. Smiley
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:15am »

FANTASTIC!! Congratulations! May it continue. PFDAN'S!
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 1:09pm »

It's awesome to read so much great news. Hoping your PFD&N's continue. Blessings, Joe
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 1:31pm »

Tony,
that's just wonderful! I'm so happy for you!!! Smiley
I hope the beast stays away!

Many PF days,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:33pm »

I just got off the Verap myself. Glad to hear your on your way to doing the same. Hope the pain stays away forever for ya guy.

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 7:29pm »

on Mar 21st, 2005, 11:50pm, debs wrote:
Tony,  
Tony, you and I, being out of cycle (fingers crossed), we have more energy and time now to work towards outreach and fundraising, and to support others dealing with CH.  

Don't mean to hijack your thread, just some thoughts running around my head --this is about you! And again, best to ya.  

And thanks to DJ and everyone that posts here --I appreciate all your efforts.

be well, and pfdans.

Debbie

First, thank you all for your good wishes !!!  This was the first cycle on verap but oddly enough I can differentiate between the verap holding the beast at bay and the end of the cycle ... weird.   I do know it will be back but for now let it RIP.

I only hope and pray ALL of you can find some respite (especially you folks who are chronic!) -- I think we all are made of some tough stuff but I'm amazed at the strength of the chronic folks here.

Debbie - I agree -- In terms of time  to further the cause for outreach, general education of ppl on the condition, etc.  I plan on checking around locally and to check with the Neuro's office (they specialize in treatment of HA ppl ) at my follow-up appt. next month about local support networks where I may be able to put my experiences to some good use and volunteer some time and funds.

Actually didn't take it as you hijacked the thread ... it wasn't intended to be about me and my cycle per se' (don't get me wrong -- glad it is over for now!!!   Grin)  -- my intent was to sort of share the thought that there is hope for cycles to come to closure and for respite and peace to be achieved to some extent!

I'll echo you in thanks to DJ and all who post here !!!  You all are GR8 !!!!!

Best of luck and I truely wish you all PFDANs !!!!

T.
IP Logged
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:52am »

Congratulations! YIPPY! I am happy for all that are PF now.  Hope you stick around I know I have benefited from all who come on this sight.   Roll EyesEven though I whine a lot... Grin
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #15 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 12:29pm »

Happy to hear another person's cycle coming to a close.  May the beast never darken your doors again.

IP Logged
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 9:29pm »

on Mar 24th, 2005, 12:29pm, Gator wrote:
Happy to hear another person's cycle coming to a close.  May the beast never darken your doors again.

Thanks Gator!  I wish the same for you all as well !!
IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 10:47pm »

TonyG and Debs, here is a good place to start if you are looking toward helping to fund clusterheadache research.

http://www.maps.org/support.html

Scroll down until you see the clusterheadache research.

Marsha  Grin
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 11:21pm »

Or you might be interested in the clusterhead necklace, your purchase of which will help fund the study at Harvard.

http://www.clusterbusters.com/necklace.htm

Marsha  Grin
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 11:44pm »

Maria,

Thanks for the link. MAPS is an amazing organization, for all they are doing for CH and other conditions. Breaking the taboos against medical uses for schedule 1 drugs (psychedelics and marijuana) is a tough job. The legal and social barriers against this worthwhile research are huge, and the scientists who go this route are to be commended. Very worthy of our support, whether by sending a donation or working towards the outreach cause on a grassroots level.

Tony, great idea to work with your HA clinic for CH outreach. And, we can always volunteer some of our talents to OUCH.  Smiley

Hoping for future PFDaNs for all.
Debbie
IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss