Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???  (Read 65654 times)
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« on: Mar 11th, 2005, 6:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

WTHeck is Kudzu... I feel like we missed something vital... I feel stupid... enlighten me and... How do you take it... how much etc...... ??????? love ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
floridian

Email

Re: Whats all the Kudzuuuuuuuu about???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 6:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Several long threads, but to make the story short, a good percent of the people trying kudzu have experienced improvement in the cluster activity.  

Kudzu is the root (or root extract) of the kudzu plant - scourge of the south. It has been used to treat migraines in traditional Chinese medicine for a while, but is not that well known in the west.  

The kudzu survey thread is a list of people that have tried it for a week or mor - check that one out.  And this article:

http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu

(and welcome back, Ree!)
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2005, 6:46pm by floridian » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 1:21pm »

Thanks for "sticking" this thread DJ! I'm going to add links to the threads here also.  Smiley

Original thread:
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=medsarchive2 005;action=display;num=1107368408

Some follow-ups:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2005Gposts;a ction=display;num=1110299841

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2005Gposts;a ction=display;num=1109050068

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=medsarchive2 005;action=display;num=1111940706

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=medsarchive2 005;action=display;num=1113697468

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=medsarchive2 005;action=display;num=1121124013

Added 03/06:
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1141363394

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=medsarchive2 005;action=display;num=1131409614

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1142950910

edited by DJ to correct URL's
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2006, 12:02pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 3:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Here's a chart showing the first week response of the 19 people that posted their results to the survey.  

The bottom scale is relief - 0 on the left is no relief, 10 on the right is complete remission.  Most people reporting some relief, although 2/19 saw no benefit and another 2/19 with little benefit.  

There were two people reporting 6.5 for relief - I put one in the 6 column and one in the 7 (not sure that is statistically valid, but I wanted to stick to whole numbers for the scale of the graph).
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2005, 3:31pm by floridian » IP Logged
jokrs2
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Eventually He will make us pain free!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:01pm »

Hi Floridian. I think I originally posted an overall 6-7 on the relief chart, but since upping my doseage to the full recommended on the bottle 5 days ago the last 4 days are now a 10 for relief, just slight shadow. I hope this continues Grin. Thanks for your hard work on this evaluation.
Blessings, Joe
IP Logged

Given strength, courage & a sound mind!
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 9:01am »

Doing the zu for a few days short of three weeks now,and I can honestly say I think it is helping.Still deal with some shadows and a kip 7 or 8 hit once in a while.But the CH have shortened in duration and frequency.Still take 02 when I feel the deamon doing his thing.But for me the ZU does seem to work. CheesyDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 11:33pm »

how do u take it? cook it, eat it raw etc.... Undecided
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 11:46pm »

We are taking supplements. I think you can use fresh root to make tea, but I suspect it would be hard to know dosages with that. You shouldn't use kudzu starch, which you can buy to cook with.
IP Logged

Apple
New Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 5:45pm »

For those taking supplements, how much do you take? What is a typical dosage? Is it purchased in the health food store? Thanks.
IP Logged

I don't have CH, I have horrible migraines. Doc says they have "cluster features." Can I still stay? Migraines suck. Can I say that?
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 6:06pm »

on Apr 20th, 2005, 5:45pm, Apple wrote:
For those taking supplements, how much do you take? What is a typical dosage? Is it purchased in the health food store? Thanks.

Keep reading...the answer to your question is everywhere here Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24th, 2005, 1:55pm »

Just an update on the ZU.Friday night went to a  birthday party with a lot of old friends.Plenty of beer and great food.Any booze has been off limits to me now for some time because it triggers my CH.But I got caught up in all the fun and decided to have a "few" beers.Well my wife let me know I had more than a few...anyway,NO CH!!!!I don't recommend this for anyone else but for the first time in years I had a pretty nice beer buzz with no CH.It HAS to be the Kudzu.I think God put everything on this earth for a reason we just haven't ever figured out how to use it all for our own  good.The ZU works for me! GrinDavid Oh,by the way My Kudzu is Solray Extract 150 mg.1 2X a day
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2005, 1:58pm by toolong » IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Zephrah
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Unto everything, there is a season"

redlyiness  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 6:30pm »

HuhHey i'm looking to order some Kudzu online, could anyone please send me a link to where they have found it cheapest (or at all?)?  THANKS! Smiley
IP Logged
Zephrah
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Unto everything, there is a season"

redlyiness  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 6:37pm »

Smiley Hey, nevermind everyone I found Lizzie2's link!  THANKS! Grin  oh yeah  heres one if anyone else is looking!  http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/ProductDescription.cfm?SKUNumber= 033674145500&searchby=PN&SearchText=kudzu
IP Logged
TKDFORCHRIST
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: May 30th, 2005, 7:43pm »

Got a question, maybe the wrong place I do not know.  I use O2 and Axert.  My Dr. wouldn't let me try Verapamil.  I am still kind of mad about that one.  Something to do with my being tall skinny and having a mitral valve reflux.    

Any way, I was originally given Axert because it had a longer ½ life than imitrex.  I also couldn’t afford the shots anymore.  I found that the Axert only has a ½ life about 1 hour longer than the trex did, according to the pharmacy.  

Now my question, I have been reading a lot about Kudzu and how much help it was.  Problem is the posts were back in February.  Frankly I am worn out from reading posts today.  I can’t seem to find any answer to mixing triptans and Kudzu.    

Any thoughts on this?  I want to try the Kudzu but I am afraid to give up what I know helps.  

Troy
IP Logged

"I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all; but
whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still posses."
Martin Luther

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #14 on: May 30th, 2005, 8:22pm »

Mixing kudzu and triptans is probably not a good idea. Does oxygen work for you? If it does, it's probably the best abortive to use with kudzu. Print out this page and bring it to your dr.  
http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu

Kudzu has calcium channel blocking properties like verapamil and affects the 5ht receptors in the brain like the triptans. It has been used to treat certain heart conditions in Chinese medicine. The page I want you to print has that info and the dr can determine whether it's a wise choice for you.  
Good luck and PF wishes, nani
IP Logged

TKDFORCHRIST
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: May 30th, 2005, 9:12pm »

Thanks Nani,

I do use oxygen.  It has been a gift from God.

I have been using the Axert on a 12-hour basis.  Dr. told me this would kind of work as a prevent.  Since they wouldn't go with the Verapamil.  Not bashing the Dr. Mine is awesome, she suffers from migraine so I know she cares but sometimes I do not think she has a clue.

Problem with using a triptan for a prevent is it does not really prevent.  Of course you probably already knew that.  I will print off the info and take it to her in the next couple of days.

This site has been so helpful.

God Bless You,
Troy
IP Logged

"I have held many things in my hands and I have lost them all; but
whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still posses."
Martin Luther

pokemom
New Board Newbie
USA 

miles of smiles!

« Reply #16 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 1:26am »

`laughU need to come to Alabama. That’s sh*% is everywhere. I always hoped it would someday be good for something other than taking over the world.  Hmmmmm I think it also come from China. We used it as a ground cover to help with erosion and dang if we ant got it all over the place. It’s like cancer. Once you get the stuff you cant get rid of it. SO come to Alabama where the Kudzzzzzuuuuu is. Wink
Lots of Love and happiness and PF days.  
Poke`
IP Logged

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose! (JJ) Robin
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 5:18pm »

So, you're saying no Imitrex injections with Kudzu?

I was all ready to get excited, but.... I made a vow long ago that I would never, ever take anything again that prohibited me from taking Imitrex.  

Well... keep us updated.  I pray this works!
Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 1:34pm »

Like the previous posting I was very excited, but I am a Verapamil and Imitrex user.  Currently on 1200mg of Verapamil (no more per doc) and it works good.  Have used a prednisone taper in the past.  Couldn;t give up my Imitrex needle or Zomig spray no matter what.  
Just another suggestion that I recently found: Sinusbuster - it is a Capsaicin pepper extract in nasla spray form.  Burns a bit and takes some getting used to but it has been amazing.  Check it out - sinusbuster.com
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 1:41pm »

on Jun 10th, 2005, 1:34pm, birdman wrote:
t.  
Just another suggestion that I recently found: Sinusbuster - it is a Capsaicin pepper extract in nasla spray form.  Burns a bit and takes some getting used to but it has been amazing.  Check it out - sinusbuster.com

In what way has it been amazing?
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 9:45am »

on Jun 10th, 2005, 1:34pm, birdman wrote:
Check it out - sinusbuster.com

don't bother checking it out.
my $.02
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
ArdRigh
New Board Newbie
USA 

doo! my head hurts

« Reply #21 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 10:25am »

I started using Kudzu a few days agao and didn't realize that you were not to use it in conjuction with Imitrex... Well, I did and I'm fine.  I popped a 100Mg Trex tab last night while experiencing a Kip 7 and I'm still here to tell you about it.  The one thing I did notice is that the CH duration was much shorter then usual - I'm guessing this is due to the Kudzu.  I have only been on the Kudzu for 3 days but with the exception of last night's (45 mins long) episode, I have not had a CH since starting!  This is big to me as I am in cycle and have been getting two to three per day for the past three weeks!

I'm not advocating taking Kudzu with Triptans (Trex, etc.), but if you  did accedentally, odds are you'd live as I did. I will not be continuing this however as I'm guessing prolonged use of boht in concert could be very dangerous.  My hope is after a while I will nolonger need the Trex with my daily does of kudzu. Smiley.

on Jun 6th, 2005, 5:18pm, MarkHW wrote:
So, you're saying no Imitrex injections with Kudzu?

I was all ready to get excited, but.... I made a vow long ago that I would never, ever take anything again that prohibited me from taking Imitrex.  

Well... keep us updated.  I pray this works!
Mark

IP Logged

Life is too short for long faces
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #22 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 10:30am »

I'm glad you're seeing a difference! We do think that kudzu taken to soon before a trex dose can make it ineffective, but doubt it's "harmful". The thing is, we just don't know a lot about it. We are the "clinical trials" per se...
If you have oxygen, try it first. Red Bull (drinking it fast, at the start of a hit) can be an effective abortive for some of us, too. Good luck and keep us posted.  
Pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #23 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 10:30am »

on Jul 25th, 2005, 10:25am, ArdRigh wrote:
I started using Kudzu a few days agao and didn't realize that you were not to use it in conjuction with Imitrex... Well, I did and I'm fine.  I popped a 100Mg Trex tab last night while experiencing a Kip 7 and I'm still here to tell you about it.  The one thing I did notice is that the CH duration was much shorter then usual - I'm guessing this is due to the Kudzu.  I have only been on the Kudzu for 3 days but with the exception of last night's (45 mins long) episode, I have not had a CH since starting!  This is big to me as I am in cycle and have been getting two to three per day for the past three weeks!

I'm not advocating taking Kudzu with Triptans (Trex, etc.), but if you  did accedentally, odds are you'd live as I did. I will not be continuing this however as I'm guessing prolonged use of boht in concert could be very dangerous.  My hope is after a while I will nolonger need the Trex with my daily does of kudzu. Smiley.

I don't believe the advice against Triptans and Kudzu was based on a health warning -- I believe it came about from feedback that seemed to indicate that the two in combination may result in lessened effectiveness as well as some science showing some chemical issues which are outside of my understanding. This was all theoretical and based on a very few (statistically speaking) reports. Hell, if I thought chanting and gobbling Kudzu would help, it would be worth reporting -- and that's the way info comes about sometimes. Weigh it all for what it is worth and whenever's there a question read more.

IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 8:46am »

ok I might get killed for asking this now....but does anyone thing that the kudzu will help MY MIGRAINES...?

don't shoot me..... !!! you know you love me!!!!  ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss