Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 7:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « sphenopalative ganglion block »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   sphenopalative ganglion block
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sphenopalative ganglion block  (Read 548 times)
ctygrl1965
New Board Newbie
USA 

Most fools think they are only ignorant.

sphenopalative ganglion block
« on: Dec 17th, 2007, 3:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband has suffered with clusters for 20 years. He's tried everything under the sun for treatment. Last year he tried Topomax and it was a big success. This year it doesn't seem to be working. He went to the pain clinic the other day and (after two unsuccessful medication tries) they want to try a sphenopalative ganglion block. Has anyone tried this before? Was it successful?
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: sphenopalative ganglion block
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 4:00pm »

on Dec 17th, 2007, 3:14pm, ctygrl1965 wrote:
My husband has suffered with clusters for 20 years. He's tried everything under the sun for treatment. Last year he tried Topomax and it was a big success. This year it doesn't seem to be working. He went to the pain clinic the other day and (after two unsuccessful medication tries) they want to try a sphenopalative ganglion block. Has anyone tried this before? Was it successful?

List everything under the sun please.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
ctygrl1965
New Board Newbie
USA 

Most fools think they are only ignorant.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 4:06pm »

He's tried prednasone, verapamil, neurontin, imitrex, topamax, vancenace and the only working,ever popular oxygen. The pain doctor put him on lyrica and trileptal but they only made things worse.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2007, 4:09pm by ctygrl1965 » IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 4:16pm »

Dear Ctygrl1965:

The sphenopalatine ganglion is a "nerve bundle" that has a branch where the back of the nose meets the soft palate.  I have not had a "blockade" there, but I have had topical anesthetics there.

This was somewhat successful for me, maybe 1 out of 4 headaches were aborted that way.  The topical anesthetic will temporarily put the nerves to "sleep".  This may cause the trigeminal ganglion to also go to "sleep" causing an end to the pain.

This is temporary, and if successful, it will not last long.

I hope that this information is helpful,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 4:19pm »

What you have mentioned is HARDLY everything.

Go here,  and scroll down to treatments.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/about.html

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 4:51pm »

I experimented with a caine for quite a while It didn't help nor did it hurt.Course nuthin hurt.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 5:02pm »

I haven't seen many postings of success for the surgical routes. The success stories were temporary....which at this point probably sounds like heaven to him. I'm lucky in that lithium has been a really effective prevent with oxygen and imitrex beating down the demon.

Your frustration comes through loud and clear, sounds like he's really getting creamed.  

Has he tried lithium? It's had a pretty good success rate on the board. For dosage comparisons, I'm male, 47, weigh about 190 and am episodic. When on cycle I take 1200 mg of lithium carbonate a day, 300 mg pills 4 X a day, evenly spread over the day. Takes about 2 weeks to kick in but then it's about 90% effective in blocking.  

Thanks for doing the research for him, I really can't advise you on the surgical route as I have no experience with it. Good luck what ever route he chooses and thanks again for being his supporter.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 8:34pm »

First, I don't think a ganglion block is a surgery, unless I'm totally misunderstanding.  That's just an injection, right?  I have had a nerve block injection to ganglion in the back of the neck.  It's a different ganglion, but it's where much of my pain centers, and is generally swollen and tender on palpation, so they tried a nerve block injection.  They first did a caine injection (anesthetic), and then the nerve block injection.

The caine anesthetic numbed the area for a couple of hours.  I wasn't in the middle of an attack, so I can't say that it would or would not have helped.  The nerve block, if successful, was supposed to lead to weeks or months of no pain, but in my case it led to 3 or 4 days of increased pain.  I described it as the Tourettes Syndrome injection, because I don't normally swear but for 3 days I couldn't say "F--ing Mayo" and "F--ing Dr. D----" enough times.

Anyway, that was my experience, but if my best friend had CH, I would tell them to give it a shot, because I don't think the downside (a few days of worse pain) can even be compared to the possible upside (weeks of no pain).

BTW - the only surgical treatments I've read about with any long term lasting effects are "deep brain stimulation" implants, but they're still experimental, only done for very select chronic sufferers by a few surgeons.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:34pm »

GrinIt this on the list...clusterbusters.com
thebb Grin
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss