Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is there a link between CH and Migraine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is there a link between CH and Migraine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is there a link between CH and Migraine  (Read 1398 times)
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

Is there a link between CH and Migraine
« on: Apr 30th, 2008, 12:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a link between the two.  Several people in my family have migraines... my mother did, sisters, nephews, nieces.   I have one sister that was also diagnosed with clusters.  She and I have very similar experiences.  She has been in remission for a couple of years.  We are not all that close so, though we try to support one another, we don't talk that much.  

I also get migraines.  I get kind of a funny vision thing and some pain.  NOTHING like a CH.  With the migraine I can still function.  With CH I am totally debilitated.  

Anyway, both of my children get migraines.  My son is 15, daughter is 9.  I know that CH is not supposed to run in families but I can't help but worry that my kids will someday develop them.    

Any thoughts?

Boo
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Is there a link between CH and Migraine
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 1:59pm »

Dear Boo:

Migraines have a fairly strong family link, meaning that if you have them, probably other members of your family do.

Cluster headaches have a fairly weak family link, meaning that it is pretty unlikely to have other members of your family to have them.

That being said, my sister has CH, but none of my children, thus far do.

Don't spend your time worrying about it.

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 2:07pm »

Recent discoveries out of England indicate that the two conditons arise from different parts of our brain. They share a common set of nerve pathways, however, and share some of the same abortive meds.  

In truth, CH folks owe much of the basic research in causation and treatment to the migraine people.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 3:14pm »

Migraines run in my family, but I'm the only one with CH (lucky me). A couple of years ago I developed arthritic migraines (not like the others in the family who have "typical" migraines - guess I'm just the lucky one all around).

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

swimchica623
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get hit.  Hit back harder.  That's life.

swimchica623

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2008, 11:01am »

I read somewhere that the percentage of CH sufferers with migraine mirrors the percentage of the regular population with migraine.  Although it seems to be a little bit more?  But maybe this is just because we are paying more attention to it and migraines are fairly common.  
Lisa
IP Logged
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #5 on: May 1st, 2008, 11:55am »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 2:07pm, Bob_Johnson wrote:
Recent discoveries out of England indicate that the two conditons arise from different parts of our brain.

Hi Bob

Recent discoveries out of France indicate that the hypothalamic link may be closer than those folk in England thought Wink

Quote:
Hypothalamic Activation in Spontaneous Migraine Attacks
Marie Denuelle, MD; Nelly Fabre, MD; Pierre Payoux, MD; Francois Chollet, MD; Gilles Geraud, MDFrom the Neurology Service, Rangueil Hospital, Toulouse, France (Drs. Denuelle, Fabre, and Geraud), INSERM U825, Toulouse, France (Drs. Payoux and Chollet).

Abstract

Background.— Migraine sufferers experience premonitory symptoms which suggest that primary hypothalamic dysfunction is a likely trigger of the attacks. Neuroendocrine and laboratory data also support this hypothesis. To date, positron emission tomography (PET) scans of migraine sufferers have demonstrated activation of brainstem nuclei, but not of the hypothalamus.

Objective.— To record cerebral activations with H215O PET during spontaneous migraine without aura attacks.

Methods.— We scanned 7 patients with migraine without aura (6 females and 1 male) in each of 3 situations: within 4 hours of headache onset, after headache relief by sumatriptan injection (between the fourth and the sixth hour after headache onset), and during an attack-free period.

Results.— During the headache we found not only significant activations in the midbrain and pons, but also in the hypothalamus, all persisting after headache relief by sumatriptan.

Conclusion.— Hypothalamic activity, long suspected by clinical and experimental arguments as a possible trigger for migraine, is demonstrated for the first time during spontaneous attacks.

All the best

-Lee
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2008, 4:10pm »

The hypothalumus is an amazingly complex structure.  It controls so many auntonomic functions that I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that clusters and migraines are related somewhat in hypothalmic activity.  

So which comes first...the headaches, or the dicey hypothalumus.  And how do our hypothalumii (?) get dicey to begin with?  

OUCH can offer an amazingly diverse population for studies of CH if there were alot more members.  (Subtle hint)  Roll Eyes

PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2008, 5:25pm »

Migrains are for girls,
clusters are for guys

WDGCH!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2008, 9:08pm »

Huh

For any newcomer reading the post above from our very own BoobP, I feel the need to warn you.  He is joking.  

One of these days though,  he's going to find himself surrounded by more than a few of us women at the same time and it taint gonna be pretty.   Grin

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #9 on: May 3rd, 2008, 12:19am »

My 24 year old daughter Katie in the last few years started having migraines and takes imitrex tablets and helps with-in 20-30 minutes. I wishing thats all she ever gets I refuse to share my h/a's with her. Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: May 4th, 2008, 9:54am »

I have migraines and chronic clusters.  My sisters get migraines.  My mom had migraines and I believe undiagnosed episodic clusters.  My grandpa had clusters back then called histamine headaches.  

Are they related, I don't know.  Even though they are two very different headaches I think maybe (just my thought).  

I also wonder if more of us have relatives that we dont know well or at all that have undiagnosed and / or hide their clusters in their family tree.

Most clusterheads as you all know hide when they are attacked.  So it is possible that there are a lot more out there.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008, 9:55am by Tara Ann » IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 4th, 2008, 4:57pm »

on May 2nd, 2008, 9:08pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Huh

For any newcomer reading the post above from our very own BoobP, I feel the need to warn you.  He is joking.  

One of these days though,  he's going to find himself surrounded by more than a few of us women at the same time and it taint gonna be pretty.   Grin

At least he didn't spell it MEEGRANES....  Smiley  And he WILL get his..... one of these days....
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #12 on: May 5th, 2008, 1:20pm »

Bob, you are in soooo much trouble  Roll Eyes
Although we are individually nice people, when you get a group of 2 or more female clusterheads together, well I can't quite explain what happens.  Could be called the "Witchy Poo syndrome". (no offense intended to those of us who are chronic witches)

Will you be at the convention in Dallas?  

PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
KatzPurr
New Board Newbie
USA 

10+ OUCH!

16090505 16090505     KatzPurr2

« Reply #13 on: May 5th, 2008, 4:46pm »

In my family the only known relative to suffer any type of headaches other than tension ha, was my grandfather. I have no idea if they were migraines or ch, but I get both. When I am in cycle, sometimes my ch starts as a migraine. Not to minimize migraines, but I will take one of those over a ch any time.
IP Logged

KatzPurr's Purrrrrrr Palace
http://www.myspace.com/jlabax
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #14 on: May 5th, 2008, 5:01pm »

I agree.   I don't mean to minimize a migraine either but compared to a CH it feels like a regular headache to me.  Sometimes a migraine will only affect my vision and not really hurt that much.    The vision problem is annoying and makes me feel nauseated though.  But I'm with you, I'll take that over a CH any day.

Jeannie Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss