Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine  (Read 6464 times)
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine
« on: May 22nd, 2008, 9:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This doesn't have to do with CH but does anyone know what this is--I guess it would fall under neurological something or other.  This doesn't happen to me very often but it happened again yesterday--for about 7 hours yesterday when I would use my right hand or bend my elbow so that my hand was pointing up it would start shaking really fast.  I was in a store yesterday and went to run my debit card and my hand was shaking so bad that the card almost flew out of my hand (I knew my hand was doing that and it has done it a couple other times in the past year but yesterday it was worse).  Today it is totally fine.  And my other hand never does that.  It is kind of weird.  Am I a neurological mess?  Anyone know what that is?
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Weird--Hand Tremor--Now Fine
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2008, 10:14am »

I wouldn't panic but I would schedule a visit with my Neuro to get it checked out.

Could be a lot of things but it would be best to let a professional give you his/her opinion.

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2008, 10:15am »

Might be lithium toxicity.

Are you taking lithium?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2008, 10:40am »

No, not on anything right now but melatonin.  
I was weirded out cause it was kind of embarrassing.  Maybe some kind of stress thing, dunno.
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:20am »

Not taking anything, huh?  Thats weird.  Verapimil can cause the shakes or tremors.
Shaking can also be a symptom of hyperactive thyroid, plus probably a multitude of other things.
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:28am »

BMonee,

Thanks--yeah, I thought about that with the thyroid.  The more I think about it I think it was stress or anxiety cause I have been really stressed out this past week.
Not taking any meds right now cause not in cycle--I take melatonin every night even while out of cycle cause when I stop taking it I start getting shadows after a few days off it so I just stay on it.   Star
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: May 22nd, 2008, 12:52pm »

I'd still talk to a Dr about it.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: May 22nd, 2008, 1:24pm »

on May 22nd, 2008, 12:52pm, DennisM1045 wrote:
I'd still talk to a Dr about it.

ESPECIALLY if you're not taking any meds right now.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 22nd, 2008, 10:23pm »

What the others have said, worth getting the Doc’s opinion.
I could be Restless limb syndrome usually referred to as restless leg; I get it occasionally in both arm & leg on my cluster side (left) along with Exploding head syndrome.
C.H., R.L.S. & E.H.S. are all symptoms of a wonky Hypothalamus.
Is the shaky arm the same side as your CH.?
Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 22nd, 2008, 11:45pm »

If the shake only happen to one hand and not the other, then its likely to be some forms of focal seizure such as temporal lobe epilepsy. You should see your neuro and ask for an EEG.

Other condition such as thyroid, chemical toxicity, medication side effects etc should produce shakes on both hands, not just one as they affect the whole brain/body globally.  

Stress and anxiety can cause isolated shakes on the dominant hand only, especially on purposeful activities, but it should not last 7 hours unless the stress is really profound.

You really should have this checked.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: May 23rd, 2008, 3:17pm »

You guys,  

Thank you for helping me with this.  I agree it is weird and should probably get checked out, so thanks for telling me to take my stubborn Irish self to the doctor.
Barry, the hand tremor is always on the right side (dominant hand)--my CH is on left.  So, you get that stuff on the same side as CH?  I have always wanted to know--what is exploding head syndrome?  It does not sound pleasant.  

Annette, thank you for the information.  With what you are saying about epilepsy, my only question, could it last that long and only be when moving the hand or holding it upright?  
Thank you you guys for the information.  People on here are smart and seem to know about stuff so I figured I'd ask.
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 23rd, 2008, 10:29pm »

Hi Star
Below are a couple of links to the EHS; When I went chronic with CH back in 2004 is the first time I experienced RLS & EHS I researched the condition’s while I was waiting to see my Nuro & couldn’t find any reference to the after shock pain I was experiencing so when I eventually got to the Nuro I quizzed him about why I should be getting the pain when most if not all articles on the subject referred to it as only a loud noise without pain, he told me that the condition is very rare & that only in the most severe cases a person would experience pain or bruising as I was, he went to great pains to assure me that this was not going to kill me & that it would settle in time along with the RLS & he was right it lasted for about 6 months and reduced in intensity over that time & now I only get one on the very odd occasion & not as severe as before.
My simple explanation of EHS is that its like being wakened by a round house punch from Mohammad Ali & when the really big ones hit I would experience a constant dull pain like bruising to the inside of my head for a few days after on the cluster side much like a severe shadow, some of the big whack’s would physically jolt me sideways scaring the hell out of my wife when I landed on top of her, her usual response was GET BACK ON YOUR OWN SIDE.
Such is life  Cheesy
Edited to add:
I should note that these only happen to me at night when laying down, it has never happend during the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

http://thepit.typepad.com/thepit/2006/01/exploding_head_.html

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2008, 7:51pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 24th, 2008, 12:12am »

on May 23rd, 2008, 3:17pm, starlight wrote:

Annette, thank you for the information.  With what you are saying about epilepsy, my only question, could it last that long and only be when moving the hand or holding it upright?  

Star, I am not a neurologist so when you ask me the nitty gritty of how long a particular type of epileptic fit can last , its going beyond my limit of expertise.

There are many different types of epileptic seizures, each with different symptoms. People who have epilepsy may have more than one type of seizure. With a simple partial seizure, the abnormal electrical discharges occur in just a small area of the brain, called the focal area. Symptoms depend upon what part of the brain is affected. For example, if the electrical discharge occurs in the part of the brain that controls left arm muscle movement, the left arm may shake and jerk. The patient does not usually lose consciousness, and can describe the seizure when it is over.

Partial or focal seizures can be triggered and maintained by stress and/or anxiety.

Then on the other hand, there is pseudoseizure which is often precipitated by stress where the electrical wave of the brain is normal.

Only a neurologist can fully answer your question. I can only tell you that what you experienced was unlikely to be due to something global like toxicity or medical side effects or thyroid problems.  

You should go see your neurologist.  

Good luck and best wishes.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: May 25th, 2008, 10:11pm »

Barry,

Thank you for the information and the links--it is so odd what the brain can do--and it sounds like you have a severe form of EHS-- it seems though like us CHers don't seem to get mild forms of anything though.  I am glad you are getting them less frequently now--that would be so startling and disturbing to have that happen while asleep or anytime for that matter.  
Annette, thanks for the information.  It has helped me a lot to get your take on it, and I appreciate you ruling some stuff out.  I appreciate you and everyone responding as I realize this is not CH specific.  
Hope you all had a good weekend,
Star
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss