Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 5:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hello fellow sufferers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   hello fellow sufferers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hello fellow sufferers  (Read 949 times)
murphysmom

Email

hello fellow sufferers
« on: Feb 16th, 2002, 9:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello:  I've just been diagnosed with these headaches and I have just experienced my first ER humiliation(2-14).  The Doctor acted as if I was wasting her precious time with my "headache" when she had really sick people she could be dealing with.  
     I looked at the KIP Scale and I was most definately at a 10+ ....So I guess my question is "what the heck did she think?... I drug myself out of bed at midnight  just  to irritate her?"  I thought about calling the administration of the Hospital to complain about how I was treated, but will they be any better?  
     I am new at this.  I don't know if I can live this way, the pain is making me crazy.  My husband loves me and is supportive, but for how long?  This pain is too much for me to deal with.  I can see why the suicide rate is so high among CH sufferers.  Thanks for listening murphysmom
IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: hello fellow sufferers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2002, 10:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since you're new and don't know what's going on here let me start by telling you the above post was written by someone who comes here just to hurt people and lay blame on others by using their name.
 You know? Calling the hospital administration might not be such a bad idea. That's something I never though of before. At worst there will be no change and they won't do anything about it. But, there is a chance it might have them do something positive, especially if you give them info that you can find on this site, that explains CHs. And shows them the pain is much worse than a regular headache or migraine and shouldn't be thought of as such (although I think migraineurs need immediate and adequate attention too in the ER). Stay proactive and you might change things for the better.
 Sorry to hear you were hurting. I hope your day remains painfree today (tomorrow, the day after...)
IP Logged
jonny

Email

Hi MurphysMom
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2002, 12:57pm »

As Ted said, the Puke posting as (jonnymule) is in fact a trouble maker trying to hurt people.

I dont know how long you have had CH's but seeing that I have been a chronic CH'er for 26 years I think im qualified to tell you that you can live  for the most part a normal life with CH. here at this website you will learn how to manage your pain, what meds work for most people (although nothing works for everybody) and day to day tricks that will help you deal with the pain. you are no longer alone you now have a new family, ask as many questions as you want someone will always answer.

WE STAND UNITED TODAY, ONE DAY WE WILL STAND TOGETHER PAIN FREE----JOIN OUCH
IP Logged
murphysmom

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2002, 1:55pm »

Thanks for the support.   murphysmom
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2002, 2:18pm »

I contacted the administrator over the way a dr. treated me over a "headache".  He refused to follow my drs written treatment plan.  I found out it is hospital policy to follow dr. plans when in writting.  Dr. was removed from ER practice, made to appologise to me. The administrator used my situation in next staff meeting to retrain the doctors again and make sure they are current.  Good luck with your contact.  Think positive!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2002, 8:16pm »

If you are having problems getting adequate pain relief at the ER there just say to them "JCAHO accreditation." An old friend reminded me of this today and sent me a link to the following article (this is just part one of four. The remaining pages can be gotten at the link):
http://www.cbshealthwatch.com/cx/viewarticle/219800_1

Article Level: Advanced
The Right To Be Pain-Free

from WebMD Health
Peter Downs, Medical Writer

Introduction
New standards from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) say patients have a right to not feel pain. That means healthcare providers must routinely ask patients if they are in pain.

The failure of nurses and physicians to assess pain has been the greatest barrier to appropriate pain relief, according to Patricia Starck, dean of the University of Texas-Houston School of Nursing. The new standards aim to make pain assessment as routine as taking a patient's temperature.

"The most common complaint that causes patients to go to a doctor is pain."  

These standards also will require that healthcare organizations tell patients "that they have a right to pain relief," says June Dahl, professor of pharmacology at the University of

Wisconsin. "Patients don't know that. They don't know pain can be managed."

Healthcare organizations that do not provide effective pain relief can lose their accreditation. Hospitals and surgery centers are barred from discharging a patient whose pain is intolerable. After discharge, they must check on patients at home to verify that patients are pain-free and able to rest.

The new JCAHO standards apply to all kinds of pain, says Dahl, not just to acute pain. They also cover chronic pain and pains from undetermined causes.
IP Logged
SeaBiscuit

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2002, 2:02am »

Hi Murphysmom! I am new here too, having posted on the old board just 1 time. I have been in pain for the last week, spending last Friday in the ER! Luckily I had a wonderful Dr. there. I have been suffering from daily CH's for 2 years now. The people here have been so wonderful and supportive and I now know that I am not alone with this pain. I like your username.....do you have a child named Murphy? I do and have never heard anyone else with that name.
Mona
IP Logged
Cin

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2002, 1:23pm »

Hi Murphys,

I'm also new to this awful pain,  I have been learning alot, I feel at least someone understands me.

When I went to get my ox, the guy said when he gets a headache he just take advil, I looked at him and said, sure for a little headache, BUT NOT FOR CH,  his remark made me mad, of course maybe if I ever got any sleep I would have handled it better.  Just wanted to let you know I hear what your saying.

Take care!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
Todd

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2002, 1:41pm »

Cin,

Next time try this:

"Of course you do - for a headache. But if your arm were ripped off at the shoulder, would you slap a bandaid on it?"
IP Logged
Cin

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2002, 4:05pm »

Todd**************

Thanks for the laugh!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 7:50pm »

SadWow
do I know exactly what you mean! I went to ER & was put through hell. First, they would not aknowledge CH, then it was 4 hours of experimentation of drugs. I told the nurse my DR. has to give me a stadol injection when things had got this bad. She said "we don't give narcotics to headache sufferers". *All following drugs were injected.* They began with benadril (ha ha), then an hour later imitrex (I told them I had been taking them as told for 6 hrs already), then another hour later ibuprofin (ha ha again), then even later finally
a dose of stadol & phenagran. Of course, relief in a matter of 20-25 mins. This relief only came after the 4 hours in the ER & after the previous hell I had already been through before I got there. Oh ya, they would not give me oxygen or let me use my own. ER stories from hell are not unusual unfortunatly.
(sorry for the spelling mistakes)
The thing that really hacked me off after all that was my medical insurance tried to get out of paying for the ER trip. They claimed "it wasn't an ER qualified medical problem". Jeez, can we ever catch a break?
I will end my ramble, just to let you know murphysmom & all others.... you are not alone. PFD's & N's to all. Wink
IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
murphysmom

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 8:27pm »

Yeah, "We don't give narcotics to people in pain"  ??? what a load of ______ (you fill in the blank).  I just wanted relief....that's all.  my Husband and I have longish hair and Pat (Hubby) has a beard; he's kinda "grizzled", but I'm a strict vegetarian, I eat organic produce, meditate, and practice Hatha Yoga when I can, so maybe I look like an aging "hippie"; Lady Doc's judgement was made and that was that....  So what that I told her "I am nigh on to suicide"  she shined me on and went about the business of giving me another imitrex shot 40 minutes after the first one still wasn't working...DUH  Shocked  
Sorry for ranting Thx for listening. mmom
IP Logged
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 12:50am »

Rant on
mmom,
we live it you rant all you want. Wink PFD's & N's To All Wink
Hang in there mmom
IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
flapper

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 4:28pm »

it can be rough, on the home front people allways were understanding, work, well if you work outside the home you might want to go ahead and address it, at home, if you have children that stay at home there needs to be some discussion on support, from sig other, faimly, they usally happpen only @ night, I have suffered 20+ years, mine now come all times, in remiss now, and thank god every day, docs and hosp. treat most of us bad, no bone sticking out etc.... you will do ok, lot of good people on site, find good doc, listen to what all of us say
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss