Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I have not posted because I have nothing to offer »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I have not posted because I have nothing to offer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have not posted because I have nothing to offer  (Read 905 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

I have not posted because I have nothing to offer
« on: Feb 18th, 2002, 3:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

rite now as far as support...plus I dont' want to be accused of whining....that is NOT what I am doing. I am posting because I need some advice...all me and my Doc can get...so please don't give me any sympathy posts as we are all suffering rite now and if you have any to give, give it to someone else..not trying to be ugly but despite what some folks say, I dont want sympathy. But this has always been my family so I need to talk to you guys about this.  I am chronic as most of you know..I have been getting hit really bad. I tried the shrooms 3 times and got a few pf days which was worth it to me..and would do them again...I am getting ready to go out on FMLA...disability for a few months to find a med that will work for me...I made a major drug error at work, which did not hurt anyone and I was covered by the Doc but it scared me...I dont wanna lose my nursing license...Please give me some ideas of meds to try...and if you live in SC, please refer me to another neurologist...I really appreciate your help...My GP is helping me now and she told me to ask you guys these things...she has faith in this mb and so do I...as she said, who better to ask...I love you guys and thank you in advance.....i am hanging by a thread here and need your advise....God bless...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Frank

Email

Re: I have not posted because I have nothing to of
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Oh Nancy... I am so sorry. Oops. I forgot some of the meds you have tried. Did you try verapamil with any luck... without dropping your BP too low? How about prednisone or lithium? Maybe a combination of verapamil and lithium?
IP Logged
Cranpain

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 4:34pm »

Nancy, please hang in there. My neuro told me at the beginning that we would need to find the right "combination" of medications. After many trials, I am taking verapimil and trileptal, with some success. Don't let your doc get hung up on one certain med. Try them all, if you must. Different things work for different people. Good Luck........Mike
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 4:39pm »

forgot to mention my previous and present meds...i am on 720 mg. verapamil with about 2 injections of imitrex plus 2- 50 mg. imitrex tabs daily...i was on topamax which gave me relief at 200mg  until it made me suicidal. ihave been on depakote, lithium (for a short short time)..O2, inderal (even though for migraine sufferers), DHE, prednisone, elavil...none of these worked...remember i am gonna be out of work so i can deal with any side  effects since i will be at home now...thanks...smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Frank

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 4:49pm »

What was the reason for trying lithium for a "short, short time"? Unless you had bad side effects, maybe you didn't stay on it long enough. Where's our lithium expert jonny?
IP Logged
Elizabeth

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 5:26pm »

Well, nancyc....
I have some stuff I found....
Sansert?
Indocin/indomethacin (few side effects - worst one was water retention)
Depakote?
Magnesium IV? (someone mentioned that recently)
There are two other calcium channel blockers that I know of:
Diltiazem and nifalpine.
Now that i've mentioned these, I'm sure you'll get lots of information about them from the people with the real brains... like Ueli, jonny, Todd.....
Hope I helped!
Liz
IP Logged
Paco
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 5:38pm »

Hey Nance---
A recent study reported success with 9 mg. melatonin taken at bedtime. Might be a good thing to try. I don't think it would react with your other meds. Also, try slapping someone.  
IP Logged
Jack

Email

Having nothing to offer never stopped me
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 5:44pm »

In fact I think the best posts come from those with nothing to offer - it takes some creativity to do so.  Wink
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 6:22pm »

Lithium works for you or it dont, plain and simple
IP Logged
don

Email

This may help
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 7:40pm »

Helped me after a brutal 6 month cycle.

Neuro was going to kill me or himself if we didn't find a solution.

2 days inpatient on IV DHE and Benedryl.

Cycle broke and hasn't returned.

yet
IP Logged
Jim R
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always question authority....

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18th, 2002, 8:30pm »

Hey sis,

I do agree with Jonny about lithium - works or doesn't BUT it does take a while to build up.  It took me over 1 month to stop the CH (I was on verap. concurrently too, as you know).  Maybe give it another shot?  Thinking of you sis.  Jim R
IP Logged

"Hammer of the Gods..." (pounding on my head...) and isn't Bowie great?!
Proud member of OUCH
Episodic Clusterhead since 1978
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 5:26am »

Thanks so much, guys for the help...dont' care how long you are around Clusterville, sometimes you forget the meds and little tricks that seem to work for folks. I really appreciate all the emails and phone calls I have received with words of wisdom.  Please email me or post with any other ideas...I need help rite now to try to put this beast in hibernation. Also, if you can spare one little prayer today, I need that too...I tell my main supervisor that I am going out on disability...FMLA...for a few months and he is not gonna be happy...He thinks I just have headaches...God bless you all and again, if you have any more ideas, get in touch with me..I am blessed to have this family.
IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 8:58am »

Good luck w/ your boss Nancy.  Hope the needed rest and less stress helps.  I don't have much advice for meds other then I use verap, imitrex inj. and oxygen.  These are my godsends Smiley
Have you ever gone the Pred route?  Might give you a few nites of sleep.  Of course the beast will be back, but if your looking for a break...
Take care sweets
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Cheryl

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 12:27pm »

Hey Sis,

Well you know Donald was on all sorts including the Lithium.. He actually was on Lithium twice. They gave it a break and few years later back on it again. Donald is currently on  Verapamil (I think) 240mgs 3 times a day, Celexia 20mg am/pm, Imitrex injections as needed, Methadone (for ha's not addiction) 10mg am/pm

Of course do you have the right mask for the O2 (I have one I can send you)
They have done the DHE injections (hospital stay) on Donald -- he was painfree for 14 days on that one.  
Dr Walker seemed to think if you put 1/4tsp of Capsaisain creme up your nose you would eventually get relief after about 10 days of this. ( Donald couldn't stand it only used it once)

There is a procedure called Octipital Nerve Block (Donald doesn't like it) but again, Dr Walker gave him one in his office before he went into the hospital and the ha's was gone within 5 mins the first time.

There are a couple of other blocks that can be done.. one they put like novicane or something to that effect on two Q-tips and stick them alllllll the way up and in your nostrils to hit the nerves to see if this helps.

The other they give you a shot in the neck to hit a nerve an numb it.

Damn, the awful stuff that has had to be done(I hate to say it, but I say it lovingly I am glad it was not me.... crap I just had to watch and grit my teeth.)

I'll probably think of more

Love Ya
Cheryl
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 2:01pm »

Sis

A long time ago, before I was diagnosed, my GP, in another province, also injected me in the neck with something that stopped the attack in about 1 min.  It does not keep future attacks at bay but the relief is great.
Maybe Cheryl can get the name of this stuff from her hubbies doc.  It sounds just like the stuff my GP used, and besides you need a break while you wait for other more permanent solutions.

By the way, I will never think that a great Gal like yourself sends anything to get sympathy, but as we all know what it feels like, I Will give you the sympathy you deserve!

Hang in there my friend because HELL will froze over!

Lots of Huggs
Jas Wink

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 2:13pm »

Hi Nancy,
I do know it takes some time to find the combination/drugs /dosage that work for you. I do know that Sansert is a nasty drug and would advise anyone to stay away from it. I wish I could help you more. If you ever need me just to rant and rave at...let me have your # and I will call you.
Hang in there doll face
Jayne
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
David_M

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 2:53pm »

Hey Nancy,
I don't have any more advice to offer than the fine info. above.  But you have my prayers, and like Jayne, if you need an ear to rant in....
And I've heard or used every curse in the book, so feel free!
David
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2002, 2:53pm by David_M » IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 4:16pm »

SadHey Nancyc:  I have nothing to offer except my support.  Sorry you're going thru such a hard time.  You'll be in my prayers.  Hang in there!  Write me if you feel up to it.  I, too, have heard it all and nothing you can rant and/or rave about will surprise me.  Best of luck.  Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 6:11pm »

Post away Nancy. Your posts are always worth reading. I can't help with drugs but I hope the nonsense from the others is helping.   Cheesy ;D Smiley

Mean old Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Melissa

Email

sis....
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 6:27pm »

although i can't help you with the med things  Roll Eyes, i can tell you, that i'm here for you whenever you need me!  You are such an excellent supporter ;D of everyone else, it would be a shame not to return the wonderful thoughts and helpful words back to you!!!  You have many friends that love you here, so please don't ever worry about "whining" to us!!!!  I love you sis....

melissa Kiss
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss