Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « what did you think after your very first attack? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   what did you think after your very first attack?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what did you think after your very first attack?  (Read 1106 times)
iukid
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

what did you think after your very first attack?
« on: Aug 14th, 2002, 10:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

WOndering what did you guys think was happening your first attack.  What did you think it was.  describe it.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: what did you think after your very first attac
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:22pm »

My first though was "Dang, I wonder what brought that on?"

After it was over I thought "I think I'll have another beer."
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:27pm »

Too long ago to specifically remember but there is no doubt that when I had my first 10, I thought I was going to die from my head exploding. It was scary. Then when it ended abruptly, I did not know what was going on and proceeded to see my Doc. Had all the tests to rule out anything organic, and then it was trial and error to identify it was clusters and what meds would work. Not a pleasant memory or experience. The Beast aint gone but I am much wiser.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:32pm »

I am chronic and it took awhile for the drs to figure out what was wrong with me.  I wasn't refered to a neuro right away.  My dr.  thought they were a problem with either sinuses or ears and then when they wouldn't go away thought it might be a brain tumor and finally sent me to a neuro scared to death.  I litterally thought for sure that it was a brain tumor because of the intensity of the pain level and the fact they wouldn't go away.  I thought I was going to die and now I wish I would die.  I can't stand these ha anymore and they drive me insane.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:42pm »

OUCH!

Sitting in my chair watching Johnny Carson and the left side of my head tried to kill me.  Seriously, I got up and ran around convinced I was having a stroke, cancer, other tumor, or a hemorrhage.  

Way back in 1962, I was flying on an old Martin 202 over Newark and as we descended, the same area of my head exploded. It felt the almost as intense but lasted only a minute. It was the only thing that came close to a cluster.   Still, from where I sat, I was definitely having a tumor. I was terrified for a long time.  

Really reminiscent old Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Melissa

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I actually thought I had a migraine, because my mom suffered terribly with them.  I just thought they were a different variation... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:45pm »

My first cluster came the day after my ex broke my nose...the first thing i thought was...Somebody needs to shoot that SOB...cause i thought i was dying..smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:51pm »

All I thought about was the pain.  I was 11 years old, so I didn't think it was gonna kill me... I had no idea what a brain tumor, or anything else that could cause it.  All I did was sit there, waiting for the school to do something, anything about it.  A couple of hours later, as the pain subsided, still sitting thete, wondering if they remembered I was there, I just assumed it was just a pain you got sometimes... Like growing pains or something.  Finally, when the day was over, the principal looked at my eyes for a few seconds, and proclaimed I was fine, and sent me home.

PFDAN......................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Stampertje
New Board Junior
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 4:10am »

I remember waking up (still living with my parents then) and thinking that something had fallen through the window and pierced my head. After I realized that there wasn't a hole in my head, I started brushing my teeth. This didn't work, then I got desperate. For the first time, but not the last time, in my life I started to bang my head against the wall.
The worst thing of the whole experience was that my father woke up and came to see what was going on. He was totally stunned when saw me. When my little brother came out of his room, my father immediately told him to go back. And after an hour the pain faded away and could go back to sleep.

After this night my life changed...
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 4:25am »

I actually thought I had a migraine, because my mom suffered terribly with them.  

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Mistory

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 6:48am »

I thought stroke (my father had several before he died) or aneurism(I had a dear friend die from one while sitting in church.) I thought of tumors (I keep smelling phantom smells and seeing shadows that aren't there...)
Problem is, I'm still thinking those things; I haven't gotten any test results yet.
To sum it up: I'm scared half to death!
IP Logged
Cin

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 7:04am »

I had my first cycle back this last Dec.  I woke up with pain on the right side of my face lasted about 10 min this went on for about 5 days same time everynight.  Than  the pain got harder and longer and I really thought I had a tumor, after 3 weeks of this nasty pain, I finally went to the doc, I was shaking and so scared it wasn't funny.  Thank God he knew about cluster headaches, he gave me a shot (steroid) which kept the pain away for 4 days, but when it wore off, I had 4 attacks in one night. He also gave me info on clusters I took it home and read it, also called my brother up and talked to him, he has clusters. He was a big help.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 7:13am »

WOW! I better not snort that stuff again. Pass me another cold one will ya?
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 7:25am »

Too long ago - can't remember specifically first attack...Remember being in school going to nurse.  Remember learning to dread the onsets.  And then - POOF - they were gone and I forgot all about it.  Out of sight - out of mind.  That's the beauty of YOUTH ;D
IP Logged
Charlie_C

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 7:26am »

I was teaching in rural China at the time, and thought I was allergic to something, so I cut out, amongst other things, the rare chocolate treats I could lay my hands on.  Then I started thinking it was alcohol, or other sins of youth(and other ages) and cut them out.

It was only when I got home and pestered the doctor for several months that I got a diagnosis.

Just wish I could keep my head together during a bout and after so I can keep my job going...
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 7:49am »

My very first experience with the beast I thought it was just another one of those migraines.  Except that it lasted 2 weeks so I went to the Doc.  Migraines he said, then said he could get me an MRI in 6 months.  I said forget it.  

I never realized there was a pattern to my headaches back then, I always thought I had sinus ha's and migraines. They went away for 7 years and I never gave another thought.

Then when "General Cluster" brought his entire friggin army to visit, it was Thanksgiving day 2000 (US t'giving) and hubby was deployed along with several of my neighbours so we all had t'giving dinner together.  I got a headache and kept saying this just won't let up.  The rest of that day/night on and off I was miserable.  After a week of it hubby came home (Mark Leigh Monica - neighbours) saved my skin that week, they would check on me often and find me holding my 4month old crying my eyes out and they would take him over to their house and give me a break, you can't get better friends than that outside of clusterville.  Hubby made me go to ER - then the nightmare started.  CT Scans with abnormal results, MRI's fights with insurance, more MRI's, Neuro after Neuro, after Neuro, and the entire 9 months I was taking oxycodone 4/day (needless to say - REBOUND) then my family doc (bless her soul) put me on pred and they went away.  OF course no one had a diagnosis at that point, my doc was scratching her head, all the neuros would just look at me (no exam, test, symptom list nada) and say Migraines.  FINALLY just this past month we found someone who knew...that was after I found this board.  And now I have O2 and life is looking pretty damn fine Smiley

Okay that was my short novel LOL

Cat

IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 8:39am »

Fuck!!!  That hurt!!!!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 8:46am »

What the hell is that?  Fuck - I'm going to die.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

oringkid

Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 9:36am »

I thought I was being punished by God for something.  I couldn't think of anything offhand but I was 11 or 12 at the time.  And starting to question the idea of God.  (I was brought up as a catholic)  then when it went away I forgot about it.

My mom figured it was sinus or allergies or something.

I wasn't diagnosed with ch until I was in my mid 20's.

Sherry
IP Logged
SFChris

Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 10:17am »

I was convinced that a blood vessel burst in my brain behind my eye, and that I was about to die...as my eye began to weep, I ran around hoping my friends weren't lying (I was at a party this past New Years') that my eye wasn't actually leaking blood...  I think my friends thought I was having a bad acid trip or something.

Chris
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 10:25am »

First; thought, aneurism.  

Second; thought,  tumor, for some idiot neurosurgeon had just had an article in a popular paper, saying that too few people with sudden unexplained headaches wnet to see neurosurgeons (him, duh!) while they had tumors!

Third: felt very  scared.

IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:46am »

I thought I was dying , going nuts, had an aneurysm, and to add insult to injury my wife thought I was being a girl thingy...until I tried to jump out of the car while she was driving on I-95.  I noticed that the keg beer @ Camden Yards (Baltimore, MD) gives me a HA EVERY time and almost instantly. Keg beer is out of my life but not beer, thank God. Can I say God. Hmm...another can of worms. --TomM--
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:51am »

Wonder what girl thingy DJ has for the 'C' word?
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
DougL
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:55am »

I had had a very bad cold.
Was in the bathroom blowing the heck out of my nose and Bam!
I thought I had blown my nose so hard that i exploded somthing in my sinuses.
8 months later I found out I had clusters.
DougL
IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 12:06pm »

First thing I thought of:
 "I think I'll call these things 'cluster headaches.' It kind of feels like there's some sort of relationship with this and my hypothalamus, and as a matter of fact my hypo always felt larger than normal. I'll betcha whatever that was I just felt is a neurovascular condition and breathing O2 at 8-10 l p/m using a non-rebreather mask will sometimes abort them. Why, someday someone should build a website, whatever a "website" is, that people can access on a computer, whatever a "computer" is, with lots of info on this disease."
 Then I started gurgling.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 12:10pm by Ted » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss