Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A welcome relief! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   A welcome relief!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A welcome relief!  (Read 212 times)
BosMan31

Email

A welcome relief!
« on: Dec 13th, 2002, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, all.

I'm Ron from Edmonton, Canada - a clusterhead, too. You just don't know how good I feel to know I'm not alone. Well, I guess you all would, wouldn't you...

I'm almost through week one of this cycle. My last cycle was some 14 years ago. 14 years ago - I thought I'd beat this 'beast' as you call it (and what an apt name!).

Back then, I didn't have access to the internet and was misdiagnosed with classic migraines. That troubled me as my discussions with migraine sufferers didn't bring up the same symptoms. So, I thought I was a bit of a wimp in how I dealt with the attacks...doing 'the dance' as you call it. Also, I feared that I might be a little crazy - it's "just a headache", y'know.

I read some of the testimonials on this site. Eerie. Like I wrote them myself.

Anyway, it's very, very good to know there are other clusterheads out there. And that I'm not crazy.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

Re: A welcome relief!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Welcome aboard BM,
Come on in a pull up a chair. The links on the left of this site and the links on the OUCH site are the clearinghouse for Clusterhead info, check it ALL out. What kind of Meds have you taken and is anything working for you? Glad you are here,
Mark

IP Logged

Click The Flag
BosMan31

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 11:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Don't recall the meds way back when but I remember that nothing worked. Went through a bit of a hitlist of meds though...felt like the proverbial guinea pig at the time. They were all abortive types, I think.

Saw the doc yesterday. He suggested amitripyline and nadolol. Claims a 70% success rate in CH prevention. Are these anything new to the group, 'cause I haven't seen them pop up in any of the research I've done?We'll see...

They didn't work last night but then again he didn't promise overnight miracles.

Ron

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 11:09am »

Hi, Ron - welcome.  We'll forgive you that you're from Edmonton.  (I'm from Calgary Wink)

A wealth of info here and lotsa battle scarred veterans here that can share war stories and weapons we've accumulated.

14 years remission!  Wow.  And here I thought we were lucky that my husband had 2.5 years painfree. EDIT:  I see we were posting at the same time and you answered my question.  I've heard of amitryptaline but not the other one.  Mike (my hubby) found a little success with Imitrex as an abortive, but Oxygen was better.  He did the prednisone burst and that gave him a few pain free days at the peak.  Ended the 6 month cycle with the combo of lithium and high dose verapamil.  He's tried everything over the years with limited success.  Psilocybin mushrooms (we think) kept him in remission for his longest time ever, but they failed him in his last cycle.  Get yourself some oxygen - it's by far the most effective and popular abortive here.  

Non-prescription relief has come from Gravol (over the counter) to help him sleep, icepack on the back of his neck at onset, copious amounts of cold water (the water water water treatment) with multivitamins as a chaser.  The water only worked for him when he was med-free though.

Pull up a chair, newbie.  We're here to help pull you up over the wall.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2002, 11:15am by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 12:00pm »

Sorry to read that the SOB found you after 14 years.  I truly hope his visit is a short one.
Welcome to the MB
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 1:23pm »

Welcome to the board!  Sorry that the beast is testing thermo-nuclear ICBMs in the middle of your cranium.  Good luck!

PFDAN....................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 6:16pm »

Hey Ron - welcome, but sorry you felt compelled to seek us out. Amitripyline is also called Elavil - used as a muscle relaxant and mood elevator (for depression) My doc gave it to me to help me sleep (he claimed it was a pediatric dose) but it left me feeling loopy in the morning and it didn't do squat for my CH. Others have had success with it. Never heard of the other one. I use Oxygen and Imitrex as abortives and Verapamil as a preventative.
Tons of great people, info, and advise here. Hope you find the right set of stuff that works for you. You might try Charlie's exercise technique also.  
Good luck
domm
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 6:19pm »

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, RON
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss