Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi, I'm new here.  ? about meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi, I'm new here.  ? about meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi, I'm new here.  ? about meds  (Read 208 times)
KayJay

Email

Hi, I'm new here.  ? about meds
« on: Dec 13th, 2002, 3:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi everyone.  This is my first post.  I have been getting clusters since I was 19 (I'm 42 now).  I think the longest I have gone without a cluster is about two years.  I'm in a cluster now.  Started about four weeks ago and is peaking right now.  The last bout I had was the longest I have had - about three months.  I think this is going to be another long bout.  I also have chronic lyme disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and arthritis.

This is the first time with clusters with new insurance.  I take Maxalt which does help at times.  The problem is, the insurance company looks at Maxalt for migraines and will not supply me with more than 12 pills a month.  As you all know, you can use that up in a matter of days (which I have).  Has anyone else had this problem?  Has anyone been successful in having the ins. co. raise their monthly quota?

I just find it terribly discriminating!!   Angry  Any advice or help with this situation is appreciated. and thanks in advance!!!
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Hi, I'm new here.  ? about meds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are some ppl on the MB who have had success in getting limits on some med increased.  Seems to be a case by case, by insurance, by doctor basis.  Search the left informational tabs - I trust you will find possible solutions to your problem.
Welcome aboard -- Sorry that you too have the need to search us out.  Curious -- how long ago were you diagnosed with CH?
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 3:08pm »

See if your doctor will write a letter describing your headaches and why you need to take them more fequently.  That worked for me.  Good Luck!   Smiley

Slammy  Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 4:06pm »

Welcome to the board!  Sorry that the beast is thrusting the jagged end of a broken, rusty pipe into your cranium through you eye.  Good luck!

PFDAN......................................... Drk^Angel

PS... Have your doctor fax a request to you insurance company claiming medical necessity.  Good luck!

DA
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 6:03pm »

Kayjay - sorry you're getting hit. You didn't mention oxygen or any preventatives. I hope you are making use of the vast resources available here and on the OUCH website.
Welcome and good luck
domm
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

[center][/centeRe: Hi, I'm new here.  ? about meds
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 6:08pm »

With a letter from my Doctor to my HMO stating the medical need for increased meds I was able to receive a substantional increase in the dosage provided. Also, as mentioned, there is much to learn here on this site and the OUCH site about CH so start reading. Most Doctors are not that well versed in treating CH so they need a little help from us sometimes. I attached a good link on meds.......good luck.
Mark

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/medications.htm
IP Logged

Click The Flag
KayJay

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 6:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for all the replies and advice.  

In answering your questions, I started getting these monsters when I was 19, before they even had a name for them.  Believe it or not, I first read about cluster headaches in an Ann Landers column.  I couldn't believe what I was reading.  It described my headaches to a T.  
Prior to this, the doc just labeled them "tension headaches".  

first saw a neurologist for these headaches in 1991.  She gave me the imatrex (sp?) shots which didn't work for me.  I see a different nuerologist now who prescribed the Maxalt.  They work sometimes, but not for the really bad ones (20 on a scale from 1 -10 describes the pain level the best like most of you understand). My regular doctor gave me the script this time so I didn't have to wait to see the nuerologist.  

I think I will make an appt with the neuro again (he seemed pretty knowledgable on clusters) and maybe see if I can try some preventatives.  

know we're all different as to what works and what doesn't but can anyone tell me what seems to work the best for them?  I will also check out the other options listed in this web site.

Thanks again for the good advice.  I'll be back!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss