Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 4:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just Had My First! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just Had My First!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just Had My First!  (Read 379 times)
Clair

Email

Just Had My First!
« on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had my first cluster headaches 2 days ago (Sat 12/14/02).  The next day I had twinges that didn't explode, but I was terrified it would.  I've only had 3 migraines in my life. The first about ten years ago.  The other 2 within this past year.  Only the first included a headache, the other 2 only blurry vision. But this, this headache was like no other!  Three times it happened.  It went away and came back, went away and came back! I thought I had an aneurysm or something.  Today at work (Monday 12/16) I'm describing to the people I work with and they don't understand. They think they do. So I get on the web and use key words "migraine headache stabbing pain", saw a description of cluster headaches which described it to a T.  On the one hand I was relieved, it was real, it exists as something special. On the other hand, what I'm reading is all bad news. There is no trigger, no way to prevent them.  I can't accept this.  I cannot live with this. What about alternative treatments?  Ginkgo, that help oxygenate the brain, usually I take this but slacked off recently. What about liquid oxygen? Drops that you add to water? Relaxation? Acupuncture? It's some kind of vascular thing right? There must be some way to keep the blood vessel from doing whatever it's doing? I just can't accept this could happen again and again.  Sure am glad this site is here.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:29pm by Clair » IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Just Had My First!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 5:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Searching through the archives and medications portion of this MB you will be able to identify several preventative medications available.  CH is a mutant of a headache, what works for some will not work for others.  Popular treatments are non-rebreathed O2, verapamil, lithium, imitrex and a host of others.  
Sorry to read that CH is what you have.  Visit a neuro for additional information.
Welcome to the board.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:10pm »

Nope.  Current research says it's a hypothalmic thing.  The blood vessel dilation is a result, not a cause.

O2 may help abort an advancing attack but it will not prevent them from starting.

Glad you're not accepting the bad news you read.  You can help us change it.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:10pm »

Sorry Clair. I hate to learn of someone new having this horror.  I can tell you that if you look around this place, read a lot of our good ideas, bad ideas, and even some of our nonsense, you will find help to manage this thing in some way.  There are also some drug combinations and ideas that help many here. You will read a lot of them.

This is a link for Simon's letter which is a terrific thing to show your fellow workers, employers, and family. It's a great thing to copy and it's the best we have. It's worth a look:

http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm

Here is my late neurologist's technique:

Dr. Wright's Circulatory Technique

This is not transcendental meditation, imagery, relaxation, or anything psychic. It's entirely physical and takes a lot of work and concentration. Give this method a good workout. It’s not a miracle, but it’s been helpful to many.

When I was diagnosed, my neurologist said to treat this as a vascular problem. I was told to concentrate on “redirecting” blood circulation in order to retard flow to the head.  This is done by trying to “send” blood into the arms and hands or other extremities. When properly done, your hands will become warm and redder with increased circulation. I also found it easier to concentrate on one hand.  

This relieves just slightly, the pressure on the affected vessel, which indirectly causes our pain. We all have this ability but it can be exhausting. I was often able shorten my attacks from about half an hour to no more than a few minutes. Sometimes, when awake, I could entirely abort the attack IF I KEPT AT IT. Often, I would suffer only minor discomfort instead of excruciating pain. Do not stop just because your hands are warm or redder. Keep this up until you are sure it's subsided.  If you let up or lose concentration, it’s very hard to restart this process.  It may take some time but when this works, the relief is almost immediate.  

I learned this from the doctor in a few minutes. He simply told me to try to keep blood away from the head. He thought it easiest to concentrate on the arms and hands but any place that works for you is fine. He said to think of it as "filling your hands" with redirected blood.  It’s important to keep at it THROUGH the pain. This will be difficult, but it’s the only way this technique will work. Don’t let up until you are sure the attack has ended.  

This will not always work, but I think it will always have at least some effect on the severity and duration of the attacks. It can be useful between medications or while waiting for some other drug to take effect. All it takes is a little practice. It was fairly easy to learn and what I'm writing here is more than I got from the doctor, as I've drawn from my own experience.

When awakened in horrible pain, it’s very hard to focus, but I think it’s always worth a try. This costs nothing but hard work, is harmless, non-invasive, and it gives us a fighting chance.  

I wish you the best of luck - Charlie Strand

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:18pm »

Hey Clair, so sorry you're here.  Hope you can find a good Dr., I'm still looking.  The web site recommends doctors in your area, so check them out, and go see one of them.  Hope we can help you.

R
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:32pm »

Welcome to the board!  Sorry that the beast is running over your cranium with Mack truck with rusty, boiling hot snow chains on the tires going about 80 mph.  Good luck!

PFDAN...................................... Drk^angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 6:54pm »

Welcome Clair,
Search this site and the OUCH site for all of the information you need to start your battle. Here is a good HA diary. Good luck,
Mark

http://www.headaches.org/professional/educationresources/PDF/headache_di ary.pdf

IP Logged

Click The Flag
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 9:30pm »

Greetin's Clair.......... Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley Cheesy Smiley ;D
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

dodger
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 10:02pm »

CryHello Clair. Sorry to hear your coming aboard. Are you positive these are clusters ? If they are, don't get excited, just commit yourself to dig your heels in and fight the beast as hard as he fights you. There are people on this site that have been doing it for years. Iv'e been doing it for 20. Finding this site was the best thing you could have done. Hang in there, and don't give in. GOOD LUCK.
IP Logged
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

Migraines are bad. Clusters are Hell, I have both

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 10:28pm »

Claire:

Sorry to see that you now have clusters also. I know you have heard this but OUCH and this board can help at least give you suggestions.

I am in Fifth year with these __MN things but have found that abortives help like Imitrex Injections, insurance can and will cover (BCBC and Great West at least) and a resonable prevent program from a good Neuro will help reduce the god awfull pain when one occurs.

Find a Neuro who has treated clusters. Don't go to some general Neuro who has just heard of them. I made tha tmistake and I was a walking pharmacy (and zombie) through my second cluster season. ( The first one was grin and bear it season stupid me).

I am also seeking relief from the constant hits in my head but instead of level 10 pain every day I am down to bearable levels thru a good Neuro.

Good Luck
Jim

IP Logged

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Life is too short so push thru the _amn pain.

Jim
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 10:59pm »

Claire,

As always a double edge welcome. Sorry you had to find us, but glad you are here. Put on a hard hat, mouth guard and thigh high boots and wade right in.

What works for me is a triptan, Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg. (fast acting, under the tongue dissolving tablets) combined with oxygen therapy. You can’t get many Maxalt tabs from insurance (6 per month max. for me) so you have to save those for the Big One and you can’t take more than 2 in any 24 hour period, so the oxygen is absolutely necessary for all the other times you feel the shadows creeping in. Go to the search button in the top right corner and type in “oxygen” and read up. This site is your one stop information resource, so start reading all the categories on the left hand side of the page, read it all, the more knowledge you have the better you can communicate with the medical community. Be sure to read about and do a search for “triggers”, these are catalysts that can really set us off. My triggers are alcohol (even the smallest amount, like a non-alcoholic beer) and bright light in my right (cluster side) eye. When I feel the shadows creeping in I hit the Oxygen and that pushes them back. However, when I’m asleep I can’t feel the shadows increasing and I wake up with the Big One. Jonny clued me in that if you take abortive triptans (I use Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg., both are quick dissolving tabs) before going to bed, they can prevent that night time attack, especially if you get hit, like I do, within 2 hours of going to sleep. The half-life of both of these tabs is in the 2-3 hour range. This has enabled me to get quality sleep these last 2 weeks.Avoiding triggers during your cycle can dramatically affect the intensity, duration and number of attacks.

If you keep a headache Diary, apparently it helps some Doctors and Neurologists to diagnose your condition. Here are links that give info and ready made forms for your journal. This should give you some much needed ammunition prior to your office visit and, it should help speed up the process.  
Form for Headache Diary:
http://www.headaches.org/professional/educationresources/PDF/headache_di ary.pdf
http://www.headaches.org/professional/educationresources/PDF/howto_diary .pdf
The cumulative amount of knowledge residing within these people on the board, is amazing. Give them as much info about your problem (see “Hints for your first post”) and they will be able to help that much more.

Get to a Doc, then get a referral to a Neuro. Print out some of the info from this site and take it with you.

PFDAN,

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 4:44am »

Ginkgo, oxygenate the brain, liquid oxygen Drops that you add to water? Acupuncture? All very questionable.

Click this and look through the site.
 http://www.quackwatch.com/  

Relaxation? See my tag line.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 6:09am »

Welcome to the board Clair !!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 6:14am »

Welcome to our cluster family Clair!!!!

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 8:22am »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Welcome to Clusterville, sorry you've had to become a member....they're a great bunch really...as long as you watch what you post.... Roll Eyes

Cathy  
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

RC_Cola
New Board Newbie

« Reply #15 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 9:46am »

Welcome Clair!!

Annette
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss