Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Thanks for being here »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Thanks for being here
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thanks for being here  (Read 419 times)
andyg
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Thanks for being here
« on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new to the site.  I've suffered from this beast for about 7 years.  Episodic nightime every year or two.  Going through an episode right now and decided to hit the web to learn more.  This is, by far, the best information source around.  It enabled me to clearly define and understand what I'm dealing and realize that I'm not alone in this.  Took the survey.  Thanks for being here!! Smiley
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Thanks for being here
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:31pm »

andy - welcome to the board. Are you having any success with particular meds or treatment methods? Let us know what works or doesn't work for you.
PFDANs
domm
IP Logged
Silver_Dolphins
New Board Veteran

Do you nervously await the blows of cruel fate?

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:34pm »

Welcome Andy. As you can see, I recently found this wonderful place myself. I am on my second cycle in three years, so I consider myself fortubate that I was so quick in discovering this site.

I hope you current episode and cycle pass quickly.

PHDAN

Silver Dolphins
IP Logged

Through the corridors of sleep, past the shadows dark and deep, my mind dances and leaps in confusion. I don't know what is real, I can't touch what I feel, and I hide behind the shield of my illusion
andyg
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:42pm »

Thanks for the support folks.  I generally take generic ibuprophin (Costco).  The attacks tend to go away in 20 - 30 minutes and I go back to sleep.  I don't know if the ibuphophin is helping or not but it could be.  Guess I should try going without it to find out if it's just the passing of the headache.  It may just be the beginning of the cycle.  While my attacks are bad, it sounds like some folks have it even more intense.  Anyway, the advil type medicines might be worth a shot for some.

rgds,
Andy
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:55pm »

Hi Andy and welcome. I took advil for many years, bottles and bottles of it, sometimes 5 at a time and after 45 minutes or so I would feel relief and believed it was from them but now I know it was just the attack ending and advil does nothing for CH. Not just my opinion, the others here will tell you the same. For quick relief, check out imitrex, works wonders on many.
Good luck,

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:56pm »

andyg,

As always a double edge welcome. Sorry you had to find us, but glad you are here. Put on a hard hat, mouth guard and thigh high boots and wade right in.

What works for me is a triptan, Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg. (fast acting, under the tongue dissolving tablets) combined with oxygen therapy. You can’t get many Maxalt tabs from insurance (6 per month max. for me) so you have to save those for the Big One and you can’t take more than 2 in any 24 hour period, so the oxygen is absolutely necessary for all the other times you feel the shadows creeping in. Go to the search button in the top right corner and type in “oxygen” and read up. This site is your one stop information resource, so start reading all the categories on the left hand side of the page, read it all, the more knowledge you have the better you can communicate with the medical community. Be sure to read about and do a search for “triggers”, these are catalysts that can really set us off. My triggers are alcohol (even the smallest amount, like a non-alcoholic beer) and bright light in my right (cluster side) eye. When I feel the shadows creeping in I hit the Oxygen and that pushes them back. However, when I’m asleep I can’t feel the shadows increasing and I wake up with the Big One. Jonny clued me in that if you take abortive triptans (I use Maxalt MLT 10mg. or Zomig ZMT 5mg., both are quick dissolving tabs) before going to bed, they can prevent that night time attack, especially if you get hit, like I do, within 2 hours of going to sleep. The half-life of both of these tabs is in the 2-3 hour range. This has enabled me to get quality sleep these last 2 weeks.Avoiding triggers during your cycle can dramatically affect the intensity, duration and number of attacks.

If you keep a headache Diary, apparently it helps some Doctors and Neurologists to diagnose your condition. Here are links that give info and ready made forms for your journal. This should give you some much needed ammunition prior to your office visit and, it should help speed up the process.  

Form for Headache Diary:

http://www.headaches.org/professional/educationresources/PDF/headache_di ary.pdf

http://www.headaches.org/professional/educationresources/PDF/howto_diary .pdf

The cumulative amount of knowledge residing within these people on the board, is amazing. Give them as much info about your problem (see “Hints for your first post”) and they will be able to help that much more.

Get to a Doc, then get a referral to a Neuro. Print out some of the info from this site and take it with you.

PFDAN,

David J.

IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 7:59pm »

Hi handy dandy andy....welcome......Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

andyg
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 8:11pm »

thanks for the advice.  Experienced the alcohol trigger the other day.  Now I know better.  Heading to the doctor Thursday.  Now, I'll be prepared.

thx,
Andy
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 8:22pm »

Andy - Oxygen, Imitrex as abortives and Verapamil as a preventative. Read, read, and read some more to prepare yourself. Fire up the printer and take it with you. Ibuprofen doesn't normally touch a CH.
good luck
IP Logged
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 9:31pm »

Welcome to the board Andy.  I use the same meds as Domm - Imitrex, O2 and verapamil.  They are lifesavers !!!!!  You are probably having attacks that last 30 minutes (which may be why you think ibuprophin help), which is pretty short ... if they get longer you are gonna want something that really works !!!
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 8:57am »

Welcome aboard Andy,  I hope the beast goes back into hiding soon.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 9:24am »

Hi Andy, sorry to welcome you aboard.... my husband used iboprufen thinking it helped but he was only having attacks that lasted 30mins in the beginning, the medication was actually not doing anything....he's now on Imitrex and just recently prescribed O2, this has worked for him, get them to give you 100mg tablets if they work cos then you can break them in half and save money....

Hope this cycle ends soon for you...

Cathy Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 5:29pm »

Welcome Andy,
Some of my favorite links are attached...good luck,
Mark

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/diagnose.htm

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/general/index.htm

IP Logged

Click The Flag
andyg
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 18th, 2002, 11:37pm »

Smiley Smiley  Thanks
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 8:22am »

Andy,

You've had a while to settle in and look around. Cool.
Quote:
Thanks for being here!!

The best thanks you could give anyone here is your going to the Doc with tons of info from this place, and coming back reporting success with treatment!  

O2 for you, too.........
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2002, 1:43pm »

Welcome to the board!  Sorry that the beast is ripping your cranium apart, piece by painful piece, with his dirty, jagged claws.  Good luck!

PFDAN....................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss