Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Classic Doc lines »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Classic Doc lines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Classic Doc lines  (Read 2281 times)
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

Re: Classic Doc lines
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 9:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Back around 1980 a nerdy little neuro gave me a list of items 7 pages long and 2 columns per page and said we are going to test these items for allergic reactions to see if these are causing your migraines. said he could test a few each week.... hmmm.lets see after 20+ years we would be up to about page 4 and he would be a little richer.......and still wouldnt have known it was clusters. ....................Lucky for Him and I, I didnt go back......... was the next week after, a dr J. stier in scottsdale AZ.  got right on top of the CH. However his response at first was I'm not sure because nobody gets hit 10 times in a day. He met me after a while and said that someone in sweden or somewhere was getting the same so now we knew.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:04pm by Jarvis » IP Logged
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:02pm »

I have a couple -  

Paramedic after calling 911 at 2 a.m. after a 2 hour 10- the guy knows my dad - has been his partner before - "What kind of drugs are you using tonight?"

My Dad, well meaning paramedic for 25 years - "Headaches don't just happen like that, son"

Fortunately all of the doctors except one that I have dealt with have been excellent.  The head of neurology at SHANDS at the University of Florida where I worked directly for the CEO said after doing and MRI, CT, and EEG, - "You have cluster headaches.  We don't know why you have them.  That is why we are spending more than 100 million on that nice new neurology center behind us.  You have them, you will always have them, so might as well plan on living with them."

I'll never forget the neurologist who heard that I had had a cluster headache for more than 2 Hours at a 10.  I called the ambilance and was transported tot he ER. I worked for the CEO at the time of this hospital so I was very recognizeable.  After the attending had tried o2 and oxygen as I told her I usually took, she called him in for  a consult.  He said "Holy S***, you have had a cluster attack for more than 2 hours!  I'll be right back."  Then he went and got the biggest freakin needle I have ever seen - something that must be used to inject the heart or something, and said "I have never done this, but I have heard of it.  I can't guarantee it.  I am going to inject this needle into your nostril and fill it with lidocaine."  I said "Do it".  He did,and after I got relief, his response was "Holy S***, it worked.  Mark that one down for the AMA guys!" and he left.    Grin
IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #27 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:09am »

HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I HAVE JUST READ.
IP Logged
Tachometer
New Board Newbie

Chef to be!

mgracer  
Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:16am »

"Take one of these 3 times daily for pain" on a bottle of 800 mg tablets of ibuprofen (Advil...however you spell it).

Yeah right...I could smacked my fingers with a roofing hammer and wouldn't have felt that...but the CH burned straight through that Advil haze.

Advil....whatever!

Neil
IP Logged
Digitalfilm43
New Board Newbie
USA 

Never trust the man in the backwards monkey suit.

Akadriver
Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 1:52am »

When I got my O2 set-up at home the guy said they have people who use them for a year and then call to have them picked up. "Wow" I thought. "Don't need O2 after a year." That was 5 years ago.  

My nuero is so old, he has to be 70+, the last time I saw him, I told him how much Zomig I had been taking. He asked me who had been authorizing the refills!! Why don't doctors have a mandatory retirement age? He's also the same nuero who won't give me a referal to the Pain Managment Center. Because they don't treat Clusters there.  Of course I had already checked that out(and they do).....that's why I want the referal!

Todd
IP Logged

Never underestimate the power of the mushroom.
Clusterbusters.com
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 8:13am »

I'm surprised that no one has come up with this one.

"I think your headaches are psychosematic.  Here's a referral to a really good psychologist.  Go and see her, she will be able to help you"

Yeah right...it was very helpful at 70.00 an hour!  NOT!

hugs
Ann
IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #31 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:40am »

I love this topic!!  Tongue
Let's see...where do I begin?

"I don't think you have clusters because you're a woman..."

"Why do you think you have clusters?  I don't think you do because clusters don't come daily for this long..."

"Why don't you try getting off the pill and we can see how that affects your headaches?  Why do you need to be on the pill anyway, you're married..."  Huh??

After giving my new Dr a list of meds that I had already tried...."well, what would you like to try next?"....Gee, I don't know not a very nice person!!  How 'bout you tell me since you're the one with the MD behind your name!!!

Nurse in the ER "yeah, I get really bad migraines too.  What triggers yours?"..I just looked over at my mom with this look of desperation and mom said "she doesn't have migraines.  these are much worse, the pain is unbearable.  and she doesn't feel like talking".

Another nurse in the ER as she was walking out the door "lay down and relax".  In fact, she told me 3 times to lay down.  Now look idiot...if you knew anything about clusters you'd know that I feel worse when I lay down!!  This is not a migraine!!!

"How long have you had these headaches?  And how long have you known your husband? ha ha hee hee!"  Yeah, doc that was a good one!

I'm sure I'll think of more.... ;D
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #32 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:53am »

1 - "No pain is THAT bad!"
     - Response "#**&^&@@&!!!"
2 - "Cluster Headaches - Why didn't you say so?"
     - Response "#**&^&@@&!!!"
3 - "Are you sure you don't want another shot of demerol before you go?"
     - Response "Bffrst bluk frst foy bffrst!"
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2002, 10:59am by brain_cramps » IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #33 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:21am »

OH MY GOSH!  I just realized that I became a New Board Veteran!   ;D ;D  I feel very priviledged!  Of course, don't let that title fool you...it just means I type a lot!  Grin
I don't know 1/2 as much as the other vets on this board!  Cheesy

Virginia
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 1:14pm »

My experience:
First neurologist:“you are an imaginary ill Angry” (I was 14 yrs. old and no one thought I could have CH)

Second one (and more intelligent): “Zaira, poor child, you are CH  Shocked affected!”

Ciao, Zaira  Kiss

IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 2:27pm »

The first time a doc mentioned clusters to me about 5 years ago...

"It sounds sorta like cluster headaches, but the only treatment for them is oxygen, and you can't go around carrying an oxygen tank with you everywhere you go, so I think we should rule out everything else first."  In which he preceeded to prescribe me various NSAIDs that didn't work for the next six months, until I lost insurance coverage, and decided the doc wasn't worth paying out of pocket for.

Or in the ER...

"This might hurt a little."  Before the doc started the lumbar puncture, in which he messed up the first time, and caused a bolt of pain shoot down my leg.

PFDAN.......................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 3:03pm »

Years ago, I would take 3 asprin every 3 hours for my entire cluster.  Just an insurance policy.

About 4 weeks into one cluster I woke with a very bloated feeling.  Stayed home from work and around noontime I started hurling blood.  Called my wife to come home from work and take me to the Dr.  I walked into the Dr.s office after weeks of 3 CH a day, no sleep and now bleeding inside.  The doc came into the room, took one look at me and straight faced asked,  

"Feelin' kinda puny today?"  

I remember thinking that was an understatement.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #37 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 4:47pm »

Just today......after Blake told the doctor that he sometimes banged his head the doctor said, "Well, maybe if you get tired enough of beating your head on the doorjamb you'll stop the cigarettes and coffee"... Angry

That's when I wanted to hit the 'good' doctor him right between the eyes... Angry  I should have!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacks Cool
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #38 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 6:38pm »

So, there I am in the midst of a nasty cycle and the doc has been trying different things to no avail.  And so I'm sitting there looking rather glum.  And the doc asks:
"Are you depressed?"
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
At the time I didn't know that conversation was the first step toward my Paxil nightmare  Angry
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Elaine

Email

« Reply #39 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have two.

One was before they found out they were clusters they gave me demorol(sp) I not only had cluster attacts but was throwing up along with it. My Husban put me in the cr took me to the doctor and he told her. She not only in pain now but is throwing up. The Doctor looks at me and says in a harsh voice "If you keep throwing the medication up how do you expect it to stop the Pain?" I won't repeat what my husband said to her as we left !!!

Two was I was having attacks back to back hard for days. My mother called my doctor. " He told her to tell me to walk it off, he was at his rental property and did not have time to go to the office".  I had been walking and rocking for days and he wanted me to walk more ! Cry

IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #40 on: Dec 23rd, 2002, 8:19pm »

Doctor is reluctant to prescribe meds.....then dies of overdose later......what da.......???? Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Dec 25th, 2002, 3:50pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:09am, paul_b wrote:
HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I HAVE JUST READ.

You can't?  Try this one on for size...
Dr Haas, the head of the neurology dept. for the university of syracuse, .... first refuses to allow my husband to accompany me in the room.
Was on prednisone at the time, 8 weeks into it, 40 mg a day.  Dr sat on his side of the desk, I sat on the other, he read the referral letter requesting a full neurological workup.  Asked what I took for the headaches, told him.
He said you have analgesic overuse headaches and migraines.  Stop all your medications and take Aleve.  I said stop the pred???  He said yes.

End of appt.  This guy is the head fucking neuro?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

To any of you who thinks he walks a golden road, you must be male, he's an arrogant, out of date, a s s hole.

Cat

(okay done ranting now)
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2002, 3:51pm by catlind » IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #42 on: Dec 25th, 2002, 7:01pm »

you're having Cluster Headaches...BUT we don't know much about them.
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #43 on: Dec 25th, 2002, 7:22pm »

Cat, Thats pretty scary, head of the neuro dept. perscribing aleve to you.  ??? I'm sure you waited a long time to see this moron and he tells you that? I dont blame you for ranting!

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
j.halber
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 26th, 2002, 5:27am »

heard so many don't know where to start,got the classic doesn't usually happen to women guess you just have BAD luck.got the; it's because of the Shape of your face and the well not much to do it is the highest rated suicide sickness in the country bye and good luck.And the time i was taken to the dr in the middle of the night, your just on drugs we'll just watch you till they ware off.Not too mention after the burning the nerve ending procedure that i resisted for a couple of years and only made them worse;Well this procedure rarely works on cronics.... afterwards cute.And the its in your teeth we'll have to do the paradontitis procedure,Ouch, And the woman I know who they removed ALL her teeth on the left side of her mouth and many many more.Now it's the Imitrex is not healthy for you so we want to stop them and let you try to survive with NOTHING. BLA BLA BLA!If it wears a white coat it should be SHOT!
IP Logged
jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #45 on: Dec 26th, 2002, 10:21am »

My wife is reading this post over my shoulder. She's kind of chuckling (Not at the pain ) but wants me to ask the women on this post how many times they've heard "When was your last period?"  She absolutely hates that one! " She said it's usually the first question they ask.  Angry

Seeya,

Jimbo
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
jonny

Email

« Reply #46 on: Dec 26th, 2002, 10:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Oh Damn!!!

I hear that one every visit, Jimbo ;D

..........................jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
pimmony
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #47 on: Dec 26th, 2002, 10:44am »

Same same

doctor:  You cannot have CH because it is rare and mostly happens to men.

me:  I am aware of that but it does not preclude my having them.  Please take this seriously because they are really really painful and I badly need help with this )yes, I really did say that)

doctor:  Okay I am putting you on Inderal for two months and if that does not work there are plenty more nasty drugs we can try out.

I found this site and never looked back - especially at that doctor.

IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: Dec 26th, 2002, 12:13pm »

Jimbo,  

Tell your wife that yes I've heard that one, and can top it.....They did a full and complete hysterectomy on me saying that my endometriosis was autoimmune in nature as was the CSF around the pituitary gland and if they could stop the pit gland producing the hormones, then the headaches would stop....

Okay, take out all the parts in my abdomen to get rid of a headacha??  YEEF

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: Dec 26th, 2002, 1:10pm »

Wanna know when my last period was?  Don't ask any more stupid questions.  Period.  Ooops, I guess I just had my last period for now.
IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss