Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 11:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Guy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Guy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Guy  (Read 1579 times)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

Re: New Guy
« Reply #25 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 7:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No need to worry. Clusters just make you want to die, they do not necessarily hurry the process.  Stick around. You'll find lots of good ideas here and you are right; we know exactly what it's like and what it does to you.  You might give this a whirl:

Dr. Wright's Circulatory Technique

This is not transcendental meditation, imagery, relaxation, or anything psychic. It's entirely physical and takes a lot of work and concentration. Give this method a good workout. It’s not a miracle, but it’s been helpful to many.

When I was diagnosed, my neurologist said to treat this as a vascular problem. I was told to concentrate on “redirecting” blood circulation in order to retard flow to the head.  This is done by trying to “send” blood into the arms and hands or other extremities. When properly done, your hands will become warm and redder with increased circulation. I also found it easier to concentrate on one hand.  

This relieves just slightly, the pressure on the affected vessel, which indirectly causes our pain. We all have this ability but it can be exhausting. I was often able shorten my attacks from about half an hour to no more than a few minutes. Sometimes, when awake, I could entirely abort the attack IF I KEPT AT IT. Often, I would suffer only minor discomfort instead of excruciating pain. Do not stop just because your hands are warm or redder. Keep this up until you are sure it's subsided.  If you let up or lose concentration, it’s very hard to restart this process.  It may take some time but when this works, the relief is almost immediate.  

I learned this from the doctor in a few minutes. He simply told me to try to keep blood away from the head. He thought it easiest to concentrate on the arms and hands but any place that works for you is fine. He said to think of it as "filling your hands" with redirected blood.  It’s important to keep at it THROUGH the pain. This will be difficult, but it’s the only way this technique will work. Don’t let up until you are sure the attack has ended.  

This will not always work, but I think it will always have at least some effect on the severity and duration of the attacks. It can be useful between medications or while waiting for some other drug to take effect. All it takes is a little practice. It was fairly easy to learn and what I'm writing here is more than I got from the doctor, as I've drawn from my own experience.

When awakened in horrible pain, it’s very hard to focus, but I think it’s always worth a try. This costs nothing but hard work, is harmless, non-invasive, and it gives us a fighting chance.  

I wish you the best of luck - Charlie Strand

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
ave

Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello HMH,

I too discovered, entirely on my own, that I could abort an attack till level Kip 4 with "snorting". It never works on the more intense pain, though.

Like you, after an attack suddenly leaves, I feel a sort of bliss, and not the bruised feeling many others have.

If you want to look up tricks for natural treatment, go to the OUCH site (button left) and check out cluster help and cluster resources.They won't chase intense attacks, but may help you survive the lesser ones.

IP Logged
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:23am »

Welcome HMH,

The three things proven to give us Clusterheads some relief, can all be, and have been, prescribed by primary care physicians. There is no need to wait two months, for a Neuro appointment, before you can find some help.

These three things are divided into two categories:

PREVENTIVE:
Verapamil (calcium channel blocker) Sustained Release (please correct me if I’m wrong, people), takes about a week to kick in when at the start of a cycle. In the middle of a cycle…..?… Documentation shows up to 900 mgs. a day (until the pain is gone). IT’S CHEAP.

ABORTIVE:
Triptans: You know about Imatrix, there are also, fast dissolving triptan tabs including: Maxalt MLT 10mg and Zomig ZMT 5mg. IT’S EXPENSIVE.

100% pure Oxygen: The most important part for a Clusterhead. 10 liters/min. through a non-rebreathing mask. IT’S CHEAP AND SAFE.

I have also found that taking any “pain” meds causes a delayed rebound attack.  

You know your body better than anyone else, read all you can on this site, using the search. Also, check out the OUCH site (join up while you are there, it’s free) you just can’t get enough information about the Beast.

Good Luck,

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:45am »

NMH,
    My cycles always start with a sinus problems. It may be the trigger or just be part of the problem. My last cycle I had my first kip10 (see "the Kip scale on the left buttons) and everything drained out of my sinuses in 10 minutes. Here is a link to some home remedies.
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm
Hope this helps.
       Opus Tongue
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2003, 10:46am by Opus » IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss