Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 10:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How fast are those triggers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How fast are those triggers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How fast are those triggers?  (Read 1224 times)
barbee

Email

How fast are those triggers?
« on: Jan 8th, 2003, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Do they bring on the beast  
soon after consuming the good stuff, or sometimes much later?

For me, I can't find the trigger.  I get the 2 AM head banger whether I stick to fruits and  vegies, or get daring and have wine, chocolate and cheese.
IP Logged
jonny

Email

Re: How fast are those triggers?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 2:59pm »

For most they are triggered in less than an hour.

I myself like you cannot find a trigger.

.......................jonny
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 3:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Alcohol can certainly be a trigger for some.  For me - Chardonay wine brings an 8 within 10 minutes.

Some chocolate and I've heard others mention dairy products from time to time.

In the past I kept a journal of what I'd injested prior to any kick a** CH.  Anything that proved positive I avoid.  Not fool proof by any means but somewhat effective.

IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 3:29pm »

barbee,
The only for sure trigger that I have is alcohol.  
I've found that if I'm in a cycle and try to drink, I can usually bring on the beast in less time than it takes to finish the drink...and he's usually pissed too!
I'm currently in a cycle since Sept. so needless to say, I'm very sober right now...anybody need a designated driver?
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 3:52pm »

During a cycle, drinking a beer means a full blown 10 before I can finish 1 beer.  Nitroglycerine is probably faster.  I'm not sure about the elevated temperatur or exercise.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 4:26pm »

its a matter of minutes for me after consuming alcohol .And as Bob P says.Nitroglycerine is the trigger numero uno here.It is common to give you a nitroglycerine-pill to provoce the attacs forward when the neuroes are trying to diagnose a clusterhead.Its almost 90%certain that 1 nitro will give you a clusterattack.

But we are different kind of people as there are different triggers and the way we react on those
just hang around and pop the questions.

Take it easy

The best from Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:12pm »

I am with jonny,
I havent found a trigger yet, breathing I guess. In cycle alcohol is as close a trigger I have ever found. I wish I could identify something to stop doing then I would have a sense of SOME control over this damn beast. Good luck,
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:27pm »

Beer is a definite no no when I'm in cycle. Although I can drink vodka and it doesnt bother me. I dont think food has ever been a trigger for me. Biggest trigger would have to be SLEEP!  

suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
2late
New Board Hall of Famer

Ride Free..Pain Free

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:33pm »

in cycle beer will trigger ch within 30 mins. wich sucks cause i love beer & have a tap system Angry  other than that i'm not sure, thanx for the tip suzy i'll drown the bastard in vodka next cycle ;D                                      .........2late
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:40pm »

Interesting to note here, however, is that nitroglycerine is the ONLY thing that will trigger a cluster attack for an episodic sufferer who is OUT of cycle.  None of the other things will - not alcohol, not MSG...  

My take on 'triggers' is that (and this only applies to episodics) a sensitivity develops while you are in cycle and almost anything can provoke an attack.  I think these attacks are going to happen whether you drink booze, eat cheese or Chinese food with MSG...we do tend to look for somewhere to place the blame though in our desparate search to feel at least a little in control. Yes, there are common stimulants for attacks, but they rarely - should I say 'never'? - will spawn an attack if the sufferer isn't in cycle.  But, nitro will.  

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

suzy617
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:47pm »

Interesting Margi.  I didnt realize anything could trigger a CH while out of cycle. I thought when your over it, your over it. I was given nitro years ago while out of cycle and I never got a HA from it.
2late, In my earlier posts while I was in cycle I wrote about the vodka thing and found that if I drank alot of it I would even avoid the middle of the night attack and get a whole nights sleep. Not that I am saying you should all go out and get sloshed every night but I did it on the weekends and most every time it worked. So put that tap system on hold and break out the Absolute!  Wink

suzy
IP Logged

kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:17pm »

For  this episodic - after 25 years this is what I now KNOW:

Booze (of any sort -  I'm a beer drinker) and I'm flippin within 30 minutes.........relaxation of any sort and i'm fucked.  After all this time those two factors are the only definite I can associate.  When in cycle most everything  bugs me.  It's like being allergic to living.  But, what really brings on the mudda is the booze and being laid back.  That's all I STILL KNOW as ABSOLUTE....
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:27pm »

In the short time I've been a clusterhead I've identified two triggers. 1. is red wine. Just the smell of it gave me a headache of 5 Kip in less than a minute. I found out the hard way in an Italian cafe'. The second for me is cheese. I've been trying to keep track of what I eat in my "headache logbook". I got hit pretty hard about 45 minutes after eating pizza. I had been avoiding cheese. The other ingredients on the pizza I had been eating without problems.

Michael
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 10:42pm »

That's so strange, Suzy - in all our years here and learning from Doctors Goadsby, Kudrow, DocGreg, etc., we've been taught that nitroglycerine IS the clusterhead's kryptonite...as Svenn says, it's a real sure way for an accurate diagnosis because it is the only thing known to definately trigger an attack in OR out of cycle.  If it triggers, the diagnosis is clusters.  If it doesn't, the diagnosis is not. I know, to be politically correct here, we should never say never, but this one has always been our failsafe identifier.   Kim, I bet you'll agree with me that nothing (i mean other than nitro) triggers you out of cycle, right?  Same with you, Brassbear?  
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2003, 10:47pm by Margi » IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

Tim_Z
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 11:34pm »

I went to our company's  x-mas party and after 5 screwdrivers in about 7 hoursI felt no ill  effects. I think it affected me worse for the next 2 to 3 days, it was very bad attacks kip 8's and9's. One beer and I'm dancin big time.
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 12:33am »

I never found a trigger either. I'm not sure what I might not have done after the attack began.  I no doubt stopped doing a lot of things.......No trigger though

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 1:51am »

I don't drink very often...so I don't "test" that one.  The only triggers for me are...REM sleep.  Hence the 2 am headbanger.
Hot baths are also a trigger.  Immediate.
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #17 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 4:26am »

beer and wine does it for me every time when I'm in cycle. Many years ago I tried scotch whisky as an alternative, and found I could get through a social event on it without getting the big headache within 30 mins, but still got a shadow which I could live through. I now try and avoid all alcohol during the ch season. It doesnt help the ch at all, but it stops me getting them at social events and then I get them in the night or during the morning at work.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

suzy617
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 8:05am »

Margi, I've had CH for 21 yrs now. Around 10 years ago I went to th ER for chest pains and they gave me the nitro. I was out of cycle but was afraid I would get a HA cause I've heard it causes "normal" people (LOL) to get them but nothing. They did give me morphine so just maybe they had something to do with it. Anyhow, havent had nitro since and dont want to.  Wink

suzy
IP Logged

Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:02am »

I've heard from another clusterhead who also didn't get attacked when he was given nitro, out of cycle.  Dang, just when we think we've found something universal about this affliction, we find cases that can prove it wrong.  Sad

It's all a big learning curve, isn't it?
IP Logged

source unknown

cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 9:20am »

Wes can't drink beer or orange juice when in a cycle...this triggers a ch within 10 minutes..... Sad
However, he can also drink vodka with no effects.... ???

can't comment on nitro....don't know what it is.

Since finding this site though have discovered chinese food is another trigger...someone mentioned Triptophane found in turkeys....think I spelt it right...is this in other foods too..??  making sure I read labels when out shopping now...avoid the msg cos that does seem to trigger....luckily he's out of cycle now.. Smiley

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

TimeTraveller
New Board Newbie

« Reply #21 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 11:21am »

With me it has always been pretty immediate on beer , less so on wine or spirits. Any sort of food has never been a problem.
Strangely if I got a CH when drinking beer, if I could force a second glass down it frequently stopped the CH dead, could enjoy a few more then !!  Smiley

TT
IP Logged

"I came from the future to study the past and got lost in the present"
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 11:29am »

on Jan 9th, 2003, 11:21am, TimeTraveller wrote:
Strangely if I got a CH when drinking beer, if I could force a second glass down it frequently stopped the CH dead, could enjoy a few more then !!

Shit, dude!    

You must have balls the size of watermelons!!!    

I can't say I would ever give that a try.  Even though I drink quite a bit while out of cycle, it is not that important that I would risk a CH while in cycle.
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 12:07pm »

When I am in cycle, alcohol, including vodka ( my favourite) is a definite trigger.  So, during a cycle, I don't drink.  However, sometimes, while being hit, I would rationalize that I'm getting them anyways, so..have a drink!  Roll Eyes  

2 things will happen.  One, I will trigger a mambo king kip 10 bastard that O2 or cafergot won't abort due to the alcohol in my system, or two, nothing..no cluster at all.  Unfortunately, I would say the former would occur 75% of the time, so it isn't worth it.

The one constant during a cycle is... I WILL wake up in the middle of the night with a full blown cluster, regardless what I eat or drink during the day.

Slammy  
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 2:27pm »

I agree Mastiff, the REM sleep is ALWAYS a sure fire trigger for me. It usually happens within an hour after I go to sleep.

IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss