Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 11:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re: working and coping with ch »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re: working and coping with ch
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: working and coping with ch  (Read 1187 times)
jonny

Email

« on: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 12th, 2003, 4:04pm, bazman1 wrote:
my docter has told me that i have to be signed of work whilst i am in my season so how can i win.any views(eg.personal experiences)would be grateful.

You cant work cause you have ha's?

27 years chronic and never missed a day!!!!!

..............................jonny

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:42pm by jonny » IP Logged
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

surely there must be some one out there who has any past experience? ??? ???
IP Logged

bazman1
jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:46pm »

My Doc told me that while I was having these HA's I cant work.

Guess what?.....im giving up my company to become a low life and live wherever I can

TY

........................jonny
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:55pm by jonny » IP Logged
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:50pm »

how do you go back to work when employer sacks you and other employers refuse to take you on
IP Logged

bazman1
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 4:57pm »

Find another.....aint like theres only one job in the world
IP Logged
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:06pm »

johnny dont know where you come from dont really care but where i come from there is very little work and the people with the vacancies(of any sort)arent willing to take me on also if you would go back to the top of the page and read it again you will find that i am looking for anyone with past experience not critisism thanks.
IP Logged

bazman1
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:10pm »

Hi Bazman..

CH will teach you to get tough and dealing with employers is an area where you will have to beat them to the punch. Here in the U.S, we have something called FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) that gives you the right to take off as much as 6 months out of a years (I think it is 6 months) without the employer having a right to fire or discipline you in any way. Find out if you have something similar in Scotland - you may be able to use it.  

Another thing about not being able to find a job..  Don't tell 'em about the CH. Once you are hired - like Jonny said.. keep working - pull over if you have to or find another line of work where you won't be a hazard if that s the case.

Good luck to ya and hang in there

Marty
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:18pm »

No dis-respect intended here Bazman......really and truly.

Jonny has been chronic for 27 yrs.   If he says he's never missed a day, then you can believe that.

What do you do for a living where you have no other choices?    Where you can't do the family leave act?   Where you have no one to help you out?    

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:19pm »

Most of the people here are not from/at your part of the world. The folks at the OUCH-UK web site may be more familiar with the way things work over there such as finding a job and disability regulations on how to keep it. Click on the blue below and check on the message board there.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/

Simon from the OUCH/UK has a great letter for employers and colleges. It may be helpful in your case.

Simon’s (OUCH/UK) letter to employers and colleages
http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm

Let us know what you can find out.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:36pm »

Bazman...Hi and welcome... Smiley

Okay as far as CH goes it's not in the UK classed as a disability.... Angry however if you lost your job over it im sure you could go to an industrial tribunial and in the UK probably win....I live in Cambridgeshire...I know in Scotland work is scarce so I see your predicament.

Wes had the same probs after a month off work he was warned but he took in the letter as mentioned and they are now a whole lot more understanding...they will allow him O2 at work and let him go somewhere quite if he needs to.... Smiley

Good luck and let me know how you get on...have you been in touch with Citizens Advice Bureau they too can be pretty helpful with legal issues as far as employment goes.....discrimination is frowned upon...

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:39pm »

hi all i know where i come from everything is different but the thing is all i really want to know is how you deal with work while having a season and also if anyone has any trouble gettin any sort of job .also ive never in the past told any employers about me getting ch thats why i was sacked the last time but now i have to fill it in all my job vacancies by order of the employment service here in scotland. were not as lucky to have your family leave act here we have basically no safeguards for employees.also before my doctor diagnosed me i used to work all the time and just pull in when i had them.hope this helps you understand the situation better (no disrepect was intended to jonny)
IP Logged

bazman1
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:54pm »

Good.

Nor to you either.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 5:57pm »

Hey Bazman..

I know that you are asking very specific questions and it seem that you are not really satisfied with the answers that you are getting.

I went back and I looked at your posts and (maybe I've missed something) I can't find any introductory post form you. The reason that I am bringing this up, is that it is a lot easier to give advice if we "know" who you are and how the CH is "hitting" you etc. Also good for us to know is what medication that you are on - what have you tried that worked / did not work etc. How long have you had your CH, chronic or episodic?

The people here have so much experience and given half a chance, they will turn over backwards in their attempts to give you advice and support - but you have to start by telling us about yourself.

Once again Bazman, if I have missed a post where you tell us about yourself, I am sorry for having missed it.

Marty
IP Logged
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 6:12pm »

marty how do i go about putting my information into the post? ???
IP Logged

bazman1
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 6:19pm »

Bazman..

Go to the message board and on the top, you will find where you can start a new topic.

Read the info on the left hand side of the board under "New Visitors" and look up the "First Post" suggestions.

We will be here for ya.  

Marty
IP Logged
2late
New Board Hall of Famer

Ride Free..Pain Free

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 6:24pm »

welcome aboard bazman, i was chronic 4yrs. to episodic last year to relatively pf for 7 months, i've missed a day of werk here & there but i can honestly say it wasn't clusters that kept me home (i'm on call once a month & suck up alot of o.t.) i guess i found the right med program, good luck to ya!                                                    .........2late
IP Logged
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 6:33pm »

marty i went to the first post suggestions but cant seem to find a way into the postings
IP Logged

bazman1
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 7:00pm »

Bazman..

Open up the General posts and on top of the board, there is a blue little dot with and it says something like "new post".  Click on it and it will open up the typing area. Just the same was that you started this thread.

Marty
IP Logged
bazman1
New Board Newbie

what a life

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 7:37pm »

marty...
go onto the (new to the site)site just below this one i have upgraded it with a short story . hope its of any use to you also i am from scotland
IP Logged

bazman1
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 8:24pm »

Bazman,
    Work is never a problem if you get hit only a few times a day and you have first made your self invaluable to the company. Unless its a law in the UK you shouldn't have to list CH as a disability. I have found that work provides enough stress to keep the beast away during work hours. If not then I add a little stress. I have only had to use Imitrex a few times at work and it's still allot easier for me to stand a CH at work than home. The drive home in the summer usually brought on a attack. I got hit on the drive in to. I defiantly would never take a job that required driving.
     Opus  

IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 9:59pm »

Even out of cycle I carry a Imitrex STATdose pen with me everywhere. Even so, I missed more work this last year than any other year......pretty bad cycle. When I was hired they didnt ask and I didnt tell. I have been hit at work many times too. I used to drive OTR trucks and have had to pull over and ride it out many times before triptans came along. I do what I gotta do. Good luck bazman.
PFDAN's,
Mark

IP Logged

Click The Flag
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 11:18pm »

Hi Bazman:

Sorry you are having such trouble with potential employers. That's what you get for being truthful.  I have the same problem with epilepsy. My Ch is in such a long remission that it's no longer a disability. With epilepsy, so many simple things are gone. I can do nothing that requires driving and almost no one needs a 56 year-old epileptic.  

I hope you've looked at Simon's letter from UK CH. It's a terrific thing to show family, friends and fellow workers.  Take a look at it: http://www.ouch-uk.org/ch/note_colleagues.cfm

Are you required to use the term "headache?" as the fact that they call this horror a "headache," is one of the biggest problems.  If you can, try using “syndrome” or some other description.  I know it isn't an answer but perhaps you can get more understanding if this has another name.  

For me, I've not had trouble with CH and employment, but nothing but trouble because of seizures.  

Good luck and let us know how you are getting along.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 12:02am »

Bazman- being a 27 year sufferer as well, I'm with jonny on this one. Of course its more difficult to work when being attacked. However as you know the attacks allways go away and you can get back to the task at hand..... If a CH sufferer lets them stop living and performing then you let the beast win. Thats no way to go... I suggest a new doctor asap that understands CH..... In the U.S. no matter how slim the jobs one can generally find something and if that doesnt work create your own path.... Personally I've never lost a job on account of CH, its been tough at times no doubt... When attacked hard in the working hours I have allways been able to sneak away for the necessary time, as you did before doc said you cant work..... My work involves many hazardous situations and you just know when to back away.... Admittedly knowing nothing of the situations in scotland.... Also I dont inform those I work with of CH as they seldom understand. have seen many here be up front with there pains but generally have been employed a while...It would be like saying in an interview, "you dont have a job for me do you". Maybe its just the good old USA if we cant win em over with brilliance we baffle em with bullshit.....
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #23 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 2:32pm »

Before Imigran I used to lose half days and whole days from work. My CH last on average 2-4 hours without the injection and there is no way I can work through them!

Now I carry my injection and go the the toilet an shoot up when they hit me at work. I just close my eys and try and dose off while it takes effect and 15 mins later I am back on the job.

When I am in cycle my ch strikes arround 11am, or 3pm or 11pm or 3pm so I get plenty of hits at work. My boss is fairly considerate and I have tried ot educate him about my problem and that it is only for a few months every year or so. The rest of the time I try to more than make up for the time lost so they know I am worth keeping on.
J
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 5:10pm »

Bazman,

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time brother. I'm new to CH, just started last month. When they first started I lost a week of work. Since then, like jdmorgan, I carry my Imitrex to work. I have to take a "break" away from work until it starts kicking in. Then I just go back to work and "grin and bear it" as best I can. I can't really afford to lose my job either. Who can?

Don't let anyone kid you. Things are not all that great in the states right now either. I live in the midwest and there are almost daily annoucements of factories or business' either laying off or closing entirely.

Hang in there. Something wil break for you sooner or latter. You want to talk, email me.

Michael
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss