Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 11th, 2024, 2:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « neuro appointment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   neuro appointment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: neuro appointment  (Read 512 times)
Brassbear

Email

neuro appointment
« on: Jan 17th, 2003, 9:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My doctor made it back to the good ol' US of A. He called me yesterday. He refused to write scripts for O2 or Imitrex nasal spray. He did write me an "emergency consult" with the neuro clinic headache team. They are supposed to see me within a week. Fat chance, but I'm hopefully.

The doc said his malpractice insurance would not cover him for writing a script for O2 ???

Michael
IP Logged
jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

Re: neuro appointment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 10:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Maybe you should tell him that your homeowners insurance isn't gonna cover you when he sues you after you beat the shit outta him ;D

Seeya,

Jimbo
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 10:14am »

jimbo,

You noticed I said he CALLED me at home. Ever had a doctor do that? Then he had the balls to ask me if my head still hurt! Angry

If my head wasn't hurtin' why in the hell would I call in and ask for the scripts in the first place!

He made it sound like he was doing me a favor by referring me to neuro, but I think he just wanted me out of his hair.

I use to go to neuro when I had the severe migraines and they dumped me on him... here we go again!

Michael
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 11:19am »

Your Dr is an idiot!  
I think finding a Dr who knows ANYTHING about CH's is one of the hardest parts of dealing with these things.
I hope this Neuro understands what you're going through and prescribes you the o2, Imitrex or whatever works for you.  
After years of dealing with numerous Dr's I think that I've FINALLY found one that knows and understands a little about CH's. He has prescribed me o2, Imitrex Inj. and Verapamil (240mg daily) and although I'm still getting my nightly visits, I don't fear the beast like I have in the past.  
It has made a big difference in my life just knowing that  I don't have to fight this thing unarmed anymore.
I hope you get results and relief soon.
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 2:01pm »

Brassbear you should have told the dr. to go fuck him self. see if he write a scrip if his wife or kids have ch.
some doctors are real mother fuckers
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 8:13pm »

Stick around. Once you get the O2 and whatever else is needed, I think Jonny or others can tell you how to get your own O2. Prescriptions not needed.  

Dr. is putz and good luck.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Silver_Dolphins
New Board Veteran

Do you nervously await the blows of cruel fate?

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 7:42am »

I am headed back to the nero on Monday. He will at that time write me a script for O2. He has an option. He can write me a script for O2 or I can use welders O2. This is how I will present it to him. He is a compassionate man, and I feel that given this purogative he will choose the medical O2 for me.

I really have not a had a hard time lately, but I want to be armed for when I need it. The one mile drive to the firehouse is the longest mile ever when the Beast is knocking the door of his cage.

PFDAN

Silver Dolphins a/k/a Barry
IP Logged

Through the corridors of sleep, past the shadows dark and deep, my mind dances and leaps in confusion. I don't know what is real, I can't touch what I feel, and I hide behind the shield of my illusion
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 8:08am »

O.K. buddy, arm yourself for conflict,

That, “malpractice won’t cover it” line is bull, unless he’s been caught peddling O2 on the huge, underground O2 black market. An urgent care Dr. gave me a script for O2, it’s about as safe a prescription drug that there is.  

If you go knocking on this Dr.’s door (heh, heh) take printouts about “medically recognized” treatment. When you get to the neuro., just give them the symptoms, they seem to like figuring out… “AHA…Cluster Headaches”…on their own.

Dude, what you need to try is one the sisters of Imitrex….Maxalt MLT 10mg. fast dissolving tablet that enters the body under the tongue, bypassing the digestive system, or Zomig ZMT 5mg. also a fast dissolving, subcutaneous triptan tablet. And of course, the O2.

I have printouts made up for my Doctor’s vist, let me know if you want me to email them to you.  

Fight the Good Fight, you lay the ground work for whomever might come after you,

Peace,
David J.    
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 7:28pm »

David J.,

Yeah dude, email me the stuff you got. I'm taking everything I can get my hands on with me for armor. I've been keeping a log book with times, symptoms, pain levels, etc. ever since the day I was given the diagnosis. Roll Eyes

My head hurts like hell right now. The evening 6:00 PM special was right on time.... damn it. Angry

Peace bro.
Michael
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 9:33pm »

Most doctors get their qualifications today by knowing the word virus... You really have to do your homework and find a doc that knows CH... Dave was told he cant have a script for 02 til they see it abort one... So he has to go to the Emergency Room in the heart of an attack and suck 02... whatever it takes I guess... Harrass these idiots if they wont help you let them know every minute you are in pain... I agree about that malpractice quote... what a jerk... ree
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2003, 9:34pm by Ree » IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Ueli

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 10:53pm »

It's a shame that some doctors and bean counters at the insurance companies won't take notice of basic stuff known well over 60 years or feel obliged (in Dave's case) to reinvent the wheel.  

At the 40th Annual Scientific Meeting of The American Association for the Study of Headache (June 1998) there was a paper by DJ Capobianco (Jacksonville, FL) on the  

Historical Development Of Normobaric Oxygen In The Symptomatic Treatment Of Cluster Headache

From this paper:
In 1938, under the direction of Walter M. Boothby, MD, oxygen therapy was employed in the symptomatic treatment of headache. Alvarez reported the beneficial response of 100% oxygen, delivered at a flow rate of between 6 to 8 liters per minute, as abortive treatment for headache (Alvarez WC, Mason AY. Results obtained in the treatment of headache with the inhalation of pure oxygen. Mayo Clin Proc. 1940;15:616-618).
Bayard T. Horton was the first to note that inhaling 100% oxygen alleviated a cluster attack, if taken during the initial headache phase (Horton BT. Histaminic cephalgia. Lancet. 1952;72:92-98).

An abstract of Capobianco's review can be found at:
http://www.ahsnet.org/journal/archive/may98prog-bak.htm
and it is in the OUCH research library too:
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/medications/O2.htm#4

Print it out and show it to your neuro. So many big names are quoted, that it should impress even a hard boiled case.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2003, 11:39am »

Can't believe he said that about O2! It's not like you are asking for a controlled pain killer that he might not be licensed to write for, just oxygen!  

After dealing with a couple of Doc's who knew NOTHING about cluster headaches, or claimed to, then asked stupid questions about why I thought I needed to use an abortive medication, I'm a cynic and suspect the worst about their compassion (lack of) and training these days. There are good Docs out there, though. I have had good luck with my GP, much more than with a neurologist.

Arm yourself with as much information as you can from here, prior to the visit with the neuro. Print it out, in case you have a bad headache that day and can't think straight. If you are not happy with the new neurologist, find a different one ASAP. A good Doc, who understands what a cluster is and how to treat it, is priceless.

Good luck to you at your upcoming appointment.

IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss