Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 11:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I'd like to heard about what is in the USA »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I'd like to heard about what is in the USA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I'd like to heard about what is in the USA  (Read 354 times)
totka
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Atsuko

I'd like to heard about what is in the USA
« on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 7:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wrote some facts about Hungary - treatments, insurance, O2, ... in my 'Milk?' topic. But I interest in what is in the USA. (I hope so it's grammatically correct)
Eg. can you get 'unlimited quantity' Imitrex or not, how works your insurance, what about the price...? How can you get O2? We found out this substance just now (in the CH therapy  Wink we breathe it too!)
If somebody's a few minutes please answer me.
Thanks a lot & PFDAN
IP Logged

I have two enemies, cluster headache and English grammar.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: I'd like to heard about what is in the USA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 8:51am »

Most people can not get an unlimited quantity.  Our insurance companies regulate how much imitrix we can get not our doctors.  Imitrix is very very expensive in the US like $300-$600 for a couple of doses.  However, with insurance I only pay $10 for my perscription.  This is good.  Drs perscribe the oxygen for us most the time.  So we have oxygen tanks at home, work, car etc.  However, if the dr wont then some people go the the fire department and get the oxygen for free.  The problem is you have to go there every time you get a headache to get the oxygen.  Hope this helped some.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 9:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some people who can not get 02 from the bastard doctors use welding 02, it works just as good.

........................jonny
IP Logged
Brassbear

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 9:35am »

totka,

That is difficult to answer. Unlike Hungary we don't have one "insurance" company but literally thousands of them. Each one has it own policy. Then we have these really horrible programs called HMOs. They will only pay for certain amounts to certain doctors, etc, etc.

Imitrex is expensive. I'm still using 25 mg tablets until I can get in to see the neurologist. 9 tablets = $137.50. I use at least 9 tablets a week. Thank goodness I retired form the Navy and they pay most of the bill...

jonny- found a guy 30 miles from the house that owns his own oxygen supply company. I have to buy the tank, $135.00 for an 80 cu. ft. He fills it there, I have to take it back and forth. No hassels with him at all.

Michael
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 9:42am »

Thats great news, Mike!!!

The drive wont kill ya, I drive 60 miles round trip to my shop everyday ;D

...............jonny Cheesy
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:18am »

Clusterheads do not get much attention from the mainstream medical community. This makes diagnosis and treatmenet quite difficult for most of us . Years of mis-diagnosis and mis-treatment are common. Mainly because Doctors are taught more about CH from us than from medical school. The drug companies seem to much more interesred in marketing to the obviously more lucrative migrane market. I have yet to see an ad for Imitrex used for CH, hell for that fact I have yet to see any ad promoting a CH treatment. In spite of all of this, after many years, no decades, I feel I am finally getting some effective treatment. I have insurance through my employer. Because of the size of my employer, over 14,000 worldwide, we get some of the best rates. Still, for my family of four a years coverage, with no deductable is near $400.00 a month. It has taken letters of need from both my General and my Neuro to my insurance company to get more than the token amount of medicine they provide. I do pay a co-pay  for prescriptions but it is not near the purchase price of the Triptans. Zomig is currently $26.50 each (per pill!) and Imitrex injection is $65.00 a shot. Very few people could afford such high prices for such a life giving medicine. It does seem to be a flawed system, but it is what we have. Try to learn to jump through the hoops to get the prize seems to be the status quo. PFDAN's,
Mark

IP Logged

Click The Flag
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss