Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Limbaugh Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Limbaugh Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Limbaugh Question  (Read 512 times)
Paigelle

Email

Re: Limbaugh Question
« Reply #25 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Rush had a choice be an addict or not, he chose to be one.  Yes addiction is a disease, but it is a self induced disease.  No sympathy.  I am stern as hell on the subject of drug/alcohol addiction.  I have seen both of them first hand and I don't get the slightest case of sympathy for addicts.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #26 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Define Addict.

I was one too. I abused pain pills years ago when first diagnosed with clusters.  Pain pills were my lifeline.  But i'm unethical, yes?  I should be in jail, NO?????  I have no right to personal views, right?  

Nothing is surprising or enlightening from this discussion.  I could be any place, at any time -- and this same pulp is what i would be forced to gaze upon.

YUCK Angry
IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #27 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:41pm »

I just figured Rush was in all that pain from having "half his brain tied behind his back just to make it fair..."

Instead of calling him names like hypocrite, we should all realize that everybody in every walk of life can easily find themselves in this kind of mess.  Addicts don't wake up one day and say 'Gee, I think I'll become an addict today'.

I'd bet every last nickel I have (all 3 of them) that Rush started taking these meds under doctor supervision.  What happened after that, I cannot know, but I do know that presecription meds can seize hold of a person easily, especially when they are in a position like Rush is (I'll explain that if I have to...).  He has a disease or condition that affects all walks of life and all levels of our society.

I don't listen to his show, but there are many reports of Rush's attempt to take full responsibility and not be portrayed as some conquering hero because of his (hopefully) victorious battle with addiction.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks frothing at the mouth to tear him down now, regardless of the facts.  I guess Rush should expect that because of his vocal condemnation of drug users in the past.  However, for someone to think there is no political motivation to discredit him as much as possible, especially in an election year is simply NAIVE.  Rush is a driving force for the right wing, and as such is a valuable and legitimate target for this kind of tearing down, right or wrong.

I'm sure that no left-winger would shed a tear if Rush were unable to effectively deliver his message on a daily basis.  Maybe they should start shipping him anonymous packages to fuel his addiction.  In the end, that would do the most damage anyway.

-fubar

IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:47pm »

Quote:
Rush had a choice be an addict or not, he chose to be one.  Yes addiction is a disease, but it is a self induced disease.  No sympathy.  I am stern as hell on the subject of drug/alcohol addiction.  I have seen both of them first hand and I don't get the slightest case of sympathy for addicts.

Paigelle....do you honestly think people choose to become addicts....do you honestly believe that addiction is a disease that is self induced.....you are wrong IMHO

Cathy
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:48pm by cathy » IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Paigelle

Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:49pm »

The whole thing is, addiction is a choice.  People know when they are taking something that is addictive, they know what could happen.  Wise up already!  My dad is an alcoholic and addicted to Xanax.  Guess what?  That is his own fault.  Yes, the Dr gave him Xanax, but he is the one who abuses them.  I am so unsympathetic with this.  We are adults and make our own choices when it comes to medication and everything.  Take some damn responsibility and don't blame other people.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #30 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 5:03pm »

Define Blame and where exactly you see it in this thread. Roll Eyes

I'm sorry you dad has problems.  And no one said anything about BLAME except YOU.

We are not talking about your father.
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #31 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 5:12pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 4:49pm, Paigelle wrote:
The whole thing is, addiction is a choice.  

You have obviously had a bad time on a personal level, please don't let that leave you with the impression that we are ALL the same....we are all so different what a breath of fresh air that is....

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #32 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 5:27pm »

I don't think Rush's addiction will have an effect on our ability to get our drugs. I'm just  hoping it won't inspire more idiotic legislation on the insipid war on drugs. It also looks like he has an addictive personality. It's true that he has some serious hearing loss but that's all I know of his medical woes.  Maybe it helped him lose weight.

For guys like me, Rush's addiction is poetic justice. I have no doubt that he'll continue to appeal to the lowest common denominator. William Buckley, George Will, Bob Novak, and William Safire are conservatives. Limbaugh is a guy who knows how to get a $30 million radio contract by pushing the buttons of people who look at the world as black and white. He will continue his harangues. No one is better at his peculiar brand of tabloid journalism.  

Charlie
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2003, 6:05pm by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #33 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 5:37pm »

Thank you Charlie.   Smiley

You just made the most sense I've read all day. Cheesy

There are gentlemen in the world after all. Grin

GHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!  I had to argue all freakin DAY.  Where the hell were ya? Cheesy

IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 5:44pm »

You are acting like we should all have sympathy for Rush.  I don't!  He chose to take the drugs and to abuse them.

Yes addiction is a choice.  You have the choice to take the drugs and abuse them or not.  That is a choice.  It is totally self induced.  Alcoholism runs in my family, so guess what?  I know that I could be one if I CHOSE to.  It is all a choice thing.  No one forced pills or booze down anyones throat.  Choices, choices, choices...
IP Logged
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #35 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 5:56pm »

Hey no disrespect but I hope you never apply for a counceling job  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jimmy_B

Email

« Reply #36 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 6:16pm »

The biggest problem I have with these addicted celebrities...is that after they are finally treated, they will get on their own soap-box and proclaim the evils of a pill.  

"Yes, ladies & gentleman...thankfully I was able to pull myself away from this evil drug...yada, yada, yada."

Give me a break. What they are basically saying is "it wasn't my fault, it was the drug." & that is BULLS__T. They made a conscious decision to abuse a drug, or continue taking it without a Doctor's approval. (or find a Doctor Feelgood)

I just don't want to see innocent Chronic pain patients being under-medicated, because some people cannot control their urges. If you don't need it anymore...stop the drug. Yeah, maybe you'll get a little sick for a week or two, poor baby. Have some respect for yourself.

Off my soapbox, Jim
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #37 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 6:19pm »

Well, Jim, i certainly look forward to pain consultation with ya  You'll tell me "when" now, wontcha Cool
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #38 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 6:56pm »

The worst thing about Rush is that he opened the door for all the others.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #39 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:01pm »

the "Others" Grin..........Hope they got good backs Cheesy
IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #40 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:11pm »

Folks,

Addiction is not a choice.  To call it that shows an EXTREME level of ignorance regarding addiction.

Yes, it's a choice to take an illegal drug, or a legal drug.  However, not everybody will become an addict, and 100% of the people who make that initial choice are not, in any way, making a choice to be an addict.  They are making a choice to take the RISK of being an addict, but that's wholly different that choosing to be an addict.  It's a significant but subtle difference.

It's not a disease that deserves sympathy.  But it's not a CHOICE either.

-fubar

BTW, Rush has already been quoted saying he wants NO PART of being one of those self-proclaimed examples of victory over addiction.  I think he already knows he'll be an addict for life and there is no victory.
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
floridian

Email

« Reply #41 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:12pm »

Quote:
Answer this simple question?  "What is my motivation in this discussion"?

Kim,

my original motivation was point out that drug policy is already unfair, and that some clusterheads face potential jail time for trying to stop their pain.  

You criticized my first post for reasons that are still beyond me.  I tried to explain my thinking in the second post, which you also criticized.  My third post was directed against the people that won't let go of their cherished notions, even when their heroes are shown to be frauds.  

50% of Catholic priests are gay. Thousands of children are molested by pedophile priests and the church covers it up.  WAKE-UP CALL!!  Maybe the Catholic church doesn't have a monopoly on contact with God, and the doctrine of sacerdotalism should be discarded.  
TV preachers visit prostitutes, buggers little boys, and embezle millions. WAKE-UP CALL!! Maybe their shows should be cancelled and people should stop sending them money.  
Mr. Personal Responsibility/Get Tough on Crime was found to have a drug problem and broke the law.  His high priced attorney tries to fend off criminal charges by portraying him as a victim of leftists. WAKE-UP CALL!!  Lots of people seem to have hit the snooze button and don't want to wake up.  

My attitude is not schadenfreude, its just that I have zero sympathy for intolerant or dangerous frauds.  I'd rather talk about  how drug policy affects clusterheads, or the addiction/dependency/habituation issue, which I don't claim to fully understand.  I'd have no problem if this was a politics-free board, but I am not going to unilaterally disarm.

Anyway, its the weekend, and I am headed to the dog track. (What are the odds that I bump into Bill Bennet tonight?) Catch you on the flip side.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #42 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:23pm »

Fu, you always have a way of bringing that element of 'clarity', - it's a gift ya got Smiley  Thanks for helping me deliver this message ..........you say things in "Plain English"  - thank GAWD.  I try -- but i talk in 3d -- and more often than not folks get lost inside the words and never get the message.

I hope this thread has made folks tink a bit.  I hope the message here is to think before you kick with your pointed boot and collectively seek in a mindless spot of gray to put out the lights that shine in others.  

I can hope cain't i.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:26pm by kim » IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #43 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:24pm »

You'd think with his kind of money he'd have found a safer procurment deal. Dumb
IP Logged

Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 7:41pm »

Dog track.....hhmmmm.....gambling is an addiction to some.  Don't people gamble at dog tracks??  When they make their first bet they don't plan on becoming an addict I bet.

On another note...I think the little doggies should just snuggle up on a blanket and get a bone, not run their tales off for peoples entertainment.

Regarding drugs or anything else...
people are fallible.  We all make mistakes.  No one should judge anyone else.  We all need to accept each other for who they are.  I work in a prison.  Drugs to me are no big deal, unless they are in the hands of children.  If an adult wants to take drugs I don't care.  Granted, it bothers me that it could affect those who really need the drugs and can't get them.  But otherwise, I don't care if Rush wants to take Vicodin everyday for the rest of his life.  And I don't care how he gets them or how much he pays.  I don't think he should go to prison for it.  People like him do not belong in the same category, the same lock up institution , as the guy who raped and murdered 9 women.  Or the grandfather that repeatedly molested his 3 grandchildren.

We are all fallible.  We all make mistakes.  Only one person needs to judge us.  You may not want to give sympathy to an addict.  And no one says you have to.  So don't.  Just sit back and think your thoughts, and try to put yourself in their shoes.  Or just toss it aside with all the other stories about all the other people who have screwed up in their lives, and give thanks that it wasn't you.  Cause one day it could be.

LD who can forgive anyone except someone who deliberately hurts a child, old person, helpless person, or animal.
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #45 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 10:43pm »

As with any public figure, many hate him...many love him.  Therefore, there will always be people defending both sides of an issue concerning someone like this.

To the original question in this thread...I think this may aid advocates against internet drug sales in continuing their quest.  From what I have read recently, internet drug sales have been targeted mainly for "across the border" sales.  If I am not mistaken, it is not legal to purchase drugs in Canada for use in the US.  That is not what this is really about, but I think the opportunity to put another feather in the cap will definately be exploited.

As for the addiction comments...there is a huge difference between consumption of illegal drugs for recreational use and consuming prescribed drugs for chronic pain.  Both of which can lead to addiction.  I am not familiar with those quotes, but based on the type of person that Rush is, I'd imagine that the target was recreational drug abusers.  Lord knows he coulda been talking about darvocet abusers...I'm just guessing.

Addiction....yeah, he had the choice to take a pain pill...take a pill or be in pain.  Imagine for a moment that the miracle drug for CH is addictive and prevents all attacks while being taken...now tell me you have a choice.

Suppose I am addicted to trex...   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #46 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 10:51pm »

Puts a new meaning on "dittohead"   Cool

Charlie
IP Logged

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #47 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:05pm »

Frankly I don't give a rats ass about Rush Bimball's problems. To me an adict is sumone that goes above and beyond the means of a med. Pain is in the eye of the beholder Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jimmy_B

Email

« Reply #48 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:19pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 6:19pm, kim wrote:
Well, Jim, i certainly look forward to pain consultation with ya  You'll tell me "when" now, wontcha Cool

No problem...How's the second Tuesday of January...& Don't forget to clean those feet. Grin

Jim
IP Logged
Jimmy_B

Email

« Reply #49 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:20pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 11:05pm, cootie wrote:
Frankly I don't give a rats ass about Rush Bimball's problems. To me an adict is sumone that goes above and beyond the means of a med. Pain is in the eye of the beholder Pam

Well said Coots...

Jim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss