Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Limbaugh Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Limbaugh Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Limbaugh Question  (Read 510 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

Re: Limbaugh Question
« Reply #50 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 11:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To admit addiction is a personal choice. I have never met someone who was claiming addiction that didnt have some kind of over-riding problem with it. Ya know, Like maybe they have spent all their savings, borrowed all they can borrow, Stole all they can steal. Lost all their friends, Looking at jail time. Lost their sanity, Lost their good names or integrity. Whatever!
People only admit their addictions when they have lost something that is worth more than their life.
Rush didnt admit his addiction till he was caught. He saw the writing on the wall. Now he had to start on the "Damage Control"
Addictions to Drugs or Alcohol is a lifetime addiction!
Do ya remember Darryl Strawberry ( The baseball player)
He is a prime example of a lifetime addict.
I am a lifetime addict, but i have been able to stay clean now for 14 years.
Hopefully Rush will also be able to keep hisself clean. If not, then more then likely, he will hit the bottom again!

Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #51 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 12:14am »

Ditto Patrick,

I've seen this exact same problem with a family member, and it ain't pretty at all.  I try to help all i can, because i love him so much, but sometimes their problem is so bad that you can't help them much no matter what you do for them.  So you just keep trying.

His addiction started with back problems that lead to 3 surgeries on his back, and they are talking about doing more on him.  So, that means he needs the drugs for his pain, but what the Docs allow him is not enough as far as he is concerned, so he has stolen drugs from other family members and bought from other people, not to just get rid of the pain, but to achive that high that he used to get at a lower dosage.  He has became TOLERENT, which is a lot of peoples problem after being on them for so long.  So, what does a man do that needs pain relief, but is tolerent to the pills that the doc gives him?......It's a real problem a lot of us might have to face one day our self.  What if we were to get tolerent to Verap or Depakote....ect.....it happens all the time........

Mikey, Undecided
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #52 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 12:15am »

Addiction....yeah, he had the choice to take a pain pill...take a pill or be in pain.  Imagine for a moment that the miracle drug for CH is addictive and prevents all attacks while being taken...now tell me you have a choice.  

I have to agree with the above statement.

It is my understanding that Rush was addicted to Oxycontin that was prescribed to him after having discs fused together in his spine.  Oxycontin is supposedly a very addictable drug but one that a patient can take as an outpatient rather than staying inpatient with a morphine drip.

Many articles have been written about Oxycontin and it's high addiction rate.  If Oxycontin stopped my CH I don't know that I wouldn't fallen into the same shoes as Rush did...

just my opinion and we all have one but in the throes of pain one can become desperate for relief and overlook where the consequences that might appear down the road.
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Limbaugher Cheese
« Reply #53 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 12:24am »

Y'all sure are persnickity with your arguments!
Can't decide ......Fuck Rush........or Rush to Fuck.

Only Users Lose Drugs,
RJ
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2003, 12:26am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #54 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 12:37am »

oxycontin is designed to be taken daily like I stated b-4.....it goes up to 160 mg's......and it is highly addictable but if a doc prescribes it daily......then.......guess what. It intercepts pain transmissons to the brain replaceing them with a more uhphoric feeling which after a while of long term useage the brain gets used to and craves. (for sum people no pain is uphoric) But there is a morphine drip now that can be applied to a person......sum sort of insert.....it's a portable deal designed for chronic pain suffer's that can't function it's so bad like with cancer or spine and nerve damage. I know people on oxycontin daily....they never seem high at all. They do a taper to git you off if it slowly after surgery if suregery is an option. If Rush was in extreme pain daily then I don't know what to say......sounds like he was out for the high...."then is when I call it abuse"....doin it daily in mega doses non stop......."then I call em an addict" !! Public figures get more publicity Pam  

Yea I spelled uphoric wrong........strange word
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2003, 12:44am by cootie » IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #55 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 1:43am »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 7:11pm, fubar wrote:
Addiction is not a choice.  To call it that shows an EXTREME level of ignorance regarding addiction.

Yes, it's a choice to take an illegal drug, or a legal drug.  However, not everybody will become an addict, and 100% of the people who make that initial choice are not, in any way, making a choice to be an addict.  They are making a choice to take the RISK of being an addict, but that's wholly different that choosing to be an addict.  It's a significant but subtle difference.

on Dec 5th, 2003, 7:41pm, Little Deb wrote:
Dog track.....hhmmmm.....gambling is an addiction to some.  Don't people gamble at dog tracks??  When they make their first bet they don't plan on becoming an addict I bet...

...Regarding drugs or anything else...
people are fallible.  We all make mistakes...

Thank-you very much, both of you.

I was getting VERY pissed off trying to put those exact thoughts into words.

While in rehab, we got conflicting messages from different counsellers.  On one hand, some of the counsellers would call it a disease.  On the other hand, others would call it a series of mistakes or errors in judgement.

I truly believe it can fall into both categories.

Off the start, it is a bad judgement call.  My "substance of choice" is alcohol.  I never made a conscious decision to become an alcoholic.  The thought never crossed my mind.  I simply thought that    a) it was harmless fun   and    b) alcoholic was a term that would never apply to me.  

It was at that point (if ever) that the disease had made its way into my life.

While I realize that the term "alcoholic" may apply to me, I still don't think that my problem was THAT bad.  Simply put, I don't want it to get THAT bad.

There are a LOT of people that would be considered alcoholics (by definition) that have no discernable problem, lead productive lives, and DON'T fall into the following category: "Addicts do not care who, why, when, or where they hurt someone. Just as long as they can get their next dose. Whether it be alcohol, or Pain Meds."

While my drinking was not out of control, there were financial problems that were partially due to my drinking.

I'm currently dealing with my own "problem".  I'm not in any way asking for sympathy.  I DO, however, find it extremely frustrating to hear comments like "Addicts do not care who, why, when, or where they hurt someone. Just as long as they can get their next dose. Whether it be alcohol, or Pain Meds." and "The whole thing is, addiction is a choice."

I'm proud that I'm taking the initiative to deal this problem.  If it is, in fact, a series of bad judgement-calls, I'm glad that I have been somewhat educated on this unlike some others.  I only hope that my judgement will be better in the future.

If I sound like I am unsure of the existance of my problem, I understand any confusion.  I am still confused by the whole ordeal.  Such is the nature of the disease.

Sorry if this was a little long-winded, but I consider some of the statements earlier in this thread to be very ignorant.

118 days and counting,
grant
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2003, 1:52am by brain_cramps » IP Logged
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #56 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 4:48am »

Grant,

You know what it's all about.

I can understand completely the lack of sympathy in people with addicts in their life.  I stuck by my wife of 15 years through about 10 years of hardcore addiction and I finally gave up.  I have no sympathy for the addict who makes the CHOICE after they know this is a behavior that will end in death, not to mention the permenant damage to the family.  My wife never made the right choice after acknowledging that it was a problem that was killing all of us in many ways.  She went into rehab 3 times and each time left the program well before completion, and the results are obvious (not that I think rehab places work in general anyway).  This kind of behavior deserves no sympathy, it deserves correction.

The thing is, I don't think people realize that the transition from "I think I'll give this a try" to "Addict" is not obvious to anybody when they are going through it.  That mistake, in my opinion, is forgivable.  The failure to address the problem head on and with continuing effort, that's not forgivable.  That's pathetic.

Just one man's uneducated opinon.   Grin (the fact is I never even graduated high school... school was boring)
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #57 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 5:26am »

on Dec 6th, 2003, 1:43am, brain_cramps wrote:

118 days and counting,
grant

Addiction is not a choice.

Recovery is!

Way to go Grant!

Donna D.
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #58 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 5:43am »

I hope that if pain did bring the guy to addiction. That his king sized igo drives him into recovery for the rest of his life and they find some way to manage his pain.
I would'nt wish either condition on anyone.
Well almost anyone.

TTFN
IP Logged

BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #59 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 5:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

WOW. Sorry to cause soooo much animocity umungst all of us Clusterheads.

If O2 & Imitrex did not work to rid the Beast, but the drugs Limbaugh was using did, than 95% of us would take them. That means at least 50% would continue to take them even if it miracuously cured the CH.

Limbaugh did not decide to take presciptions as a recreational drug. He took them to stop his pain.

Unfortunately when the human brain gets something it likes, it wants to continue having it. It is very hard to overcome the power of our minds. There are tons of addictions: Coffee, cigerettes, heroin, gambling, marijuana, sex, presription drugs, alcohol, eating, & more.

For some it is a big problem, for some it's not. Everyone has their own reason for starting up. Depression, pain, peer pressure, nervousness, adrenalin rush, loneliness, etc.

WE ALL NEED HELP !
IP Logged
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #60 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 7:17am »

Not as well said as you guys but here goes.

I enjoy a drink or two when I get home from work.  On Sundays, I drink my beer while watching the football game.  

Many times in my life I drank too much and will likely do so again.  I also smoke.  I have an addictive personality.  I know this.  However, I still have unused pain meds in the cabinet that I chose not to take.

Many times, on my walk to the office, I see my fellow addict curled up in a pathetic ball in an alcove, bagged bottle in his dirty hand, sleeping it off in his own vomit.

It scares me very much and I wonder what it is that makes me any different than this fellow?  He chooses, like me, to drink.  He needs it...I need it.  What's the difference?  Is it will power that keeps some of us from falling completely off the edge?  

Is it will power?

There but for the grace of God, go I....?

Steve G
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss