Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster vs. Migraine--where the money goes »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster vs. Migraine--where the money goes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster vs. Migraine--where the money goes  (Read 351 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Cluster vs. Migraine--where the money goes
« on: Dec 5th, 2003, 2:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We keep fussing about medical folks who don't understand us and drug companies who don't research meds to help us.

Just for fun, I punched in "cluster" and "migraine" into the PubMed (National Library of Medicine) site. Not good science--but it does suggest where attention (and therefore money) is being directed.

Cluster produced 1627 articles.

Migraine produced 14,946 articles.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
thomas

Email

Re: Cluster vs. Migraine--where the money goes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, Bob, I'm so sick of experimenting with megraine meds.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:09pm »

Sorry, Thomas. I think we need to be thankful for migraine. Were it not for our fellow sufferers we would not have most of the meds which help us. Their pain has lead to the research which benefits us.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:12pm »

I agree yes, however it is so disheartening when you hear things like "Just be glad you don't have migraines." or "Yeah my cousin gets these really bad ha's and has to go lay down and sleep for a couple of hours."  No disrespect for the migraine sufferers here, but we are hurting and spending millions of dollars - we need to be recognized for what we are CLUSTERHEADS!!!!!!!
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:14pm »

Oh yeah here's the latest one I heard from a PA "Clusters and Migraines are pretty much the same, except migraines last longer."
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:21pm »

Quote:
but it does suggest where attention (and therefore money) is being directed.

I think there is probably some sort of economic threshold - below that, and it makes no sense for a large pharmaceutical company to develop for a disease.  

There are some "orphan drug" laws and policies designed to help people with less common conditions.  Only about 15% of the orphan drugs are developed by the big pharmacy companies.  More info on that at http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/399_orph.html

IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:27pm »

Yeah, I love it when they say migraines and clusters are one in the same.  I have both and I would rather have a migraine any freakin' day.  The migraine might last longer, but you take most anything for it and it will help.  You can actually go to sleep with a migraine.  And last but not least, if the migraine makes you sick at your stomach, you puke and feel all better.  The dreaded beast doesn't allow any of that.
IP Logged
aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:40pm »

I definately agree with you Paigelle!!
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:48pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 3:14pm, thomas wrote:
Oh yeah here's the latest one I heard from a PA "Clusters and Migraines are pretty much the same, except migraines last longer."

I heard the same from my new neuro last time.  I fired him!!  Went back to my GP who was a little panicked because he had never treated clusters.  I convinced him that I knew what I was doing, told him what I wanted and he wrote the scripts.  Turned out to be a good relationship, Shut Up and WRITE Doc!!!!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:52pm »

I have said it before, alot of Drs should hand over the Rx pads to us.  We are more informed than alot of Drs about CH and migraine for that matter.  We know about which meds work and don't.  We understand that they might work this cycle and not the next.  It is unbelievable the Drs who have never treated CH and they are still determined it is the typical migraine or it is a sinus problem.
IP Logged
dkirin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 6:30pm »

I totally agree!!  I was lucky to get the Doc that runs the headache clinic at Mtn. Neuro in Asheville, NC and we sit down and map out what to try next together.
IP Logged
lbw
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 9:10pm »

When I tried to explain to my doctor what was going on with me...she told me that CH's are more prevalent in men.  That was so confusing to me...here I was...SUFFERING...afraid to sleep...and she basically told me that it was very unlikely that I had CH.

That's when I found this website. Needless to say..my doctor was proven VERY wrong!
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 7:08am »

Maybe it's just easier to treat something they KNOW about (migraines) instead of doing any research or listening to patients about what is REALLY wrong.  

It's taken me over 10 years to TRAIN my primary doc, but he was "trainable" so we have a great relationship now. My neuro has migraines and says he's happy with them and glad he doesn't have CH, so at least he KNOWS about headaches. They both know I try "unorthodox" things and call to see how they worked out.  

One of the things OUCH was going to try to do, when we first started it, was to try to get more education about Clusters in a few medical schools instead of the 15 minute course docs get on CH. I think we should eliminate the "god" course and put CH in instead.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #13 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 7:56am »

Here's my two cents... (yikes)

I think it has a lot to do with economics of scale here. I hate it but that is the basic truth. There are a lot more Migraine sufferers v. CH sufferers, therefore the drug companies stand to make more money by researching treatments for them. Capitalist pigs that we are here in America, that is the way it is. It is wrong, very wrong.

I know my neuro team is very good, it has taken some time to get me dx'd correctly but I have some screwy symptoms thrown in that don't quite fit the traditional CH dx. At least that is what they have told me. But, a CHer I am. They have never once doubted my pain, nor any suggestions I have had to try to end it. There are some things I am aprehensive about trying and they don't push those on me either. we have a really good working relationship. I am very fortunate.

BTW, amen Paigelle...gimme a migraine any day. Walk in the park!
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 10:57am »

on Dec 6th, 2003, 7:56am, jadedgazer wrote:
I think it has a lot to do with economics of scale here. I hate it but that is the basic truth. There are a lot more Migraine sufferers v. CH sufferers, therefore the drug companies stand to make more money by researching treatments for them. Capitalist pigs that we are here in America, that is the way it is. It is wrong, very wrong.  

Absolutely!  That is why none of us here are taking any medication specifically designed for CH.  Unfortunately, it is not just the drug companies but research as well.  When you consider that 20-25% of people have or will have a condition (temporary or otherwise) that will require a neuro's attention, we don't add up to much.

So, yes, we might want to be thankful for migraines...umm, and siezures, and whatever else requires the use of steroids and hypertension...  Roll Eyes

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss