Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Poll:  Where do you inject? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Poll:  Where do you inject?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Poll:  Where do you inject?  (Read 1500 times)
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Poll:  Where do you inject?
« on: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm just curious.  I ask only because someone mentioned doing their imitrex shot in the arm, and I've only ever used my legs.  I think I did that mostly because the number of shots would sometimes leave big ugly bruises, especially if the crack smoking manufacturers don't get that damn needle straight.

So, Where do you give yourself an Imitrex injection?

And, while we're at it, do you use the Imitrex saving tip described on this site?  I don't, because I'm deathly afraid of needles anyway and just using that bang stick is hard enough for me.

-Shawn
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:46am by fubar » IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

Re: Poll:  Where do you inject
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:49am »

.2cc with Insulin syringe in FAT thigh.  Haven't done my arm yet, maybe I should try it.  I recently discovered that it hurts a LOT less if I inject in the TOP of my thigh, then on the side of my thigh.
Fubar, the needle hurts a HELL of a lot less then the SHOT injection...plus 1/3rd dose has a LOT less sides...and saves a LOT of money.  Smiley

How do diabetics get over thier needle phobia's?  I've always wondered.
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Poll:  Where do you inject?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 2:20am »

Mast,

I'm sure it hurts less using the syringe, but it's not the pain that's the issue.  You'd have to understand the whole injection phobia... it's not about the pain.  Hell, I passed out once from a tetnous shot and that didn't hurt at all.  It was the whole idea of something in a vial being injected into my body.  It just makes me all jiggly inside.

That bang stick makes it happen fast enough, at least after you actually press that button, and that can take me a long time even at Kip8.  Kip10.. I'm all about the shot.  No waiting.  I'm also smart enough to know I'd be a wreck trying to manually inject myself while in the throws of a Kip10, whicj is the only time I'd use it if I had no bang stick.

-Shawn
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 2:34am »

When I was on the trex, I used to hit it in my arm and then raise my arm up the air and shake it to get the stuff to my head quicker. Don't know if it helped get it there faster, but gave me something to do while I waited.  

if you're afraid of the needle - get someone else to inject you if it's possible. That diabetic needle really doesn't hurt - it's just the thought of it.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 2:37am »

Good question Shawn,
I usually hit my upper arm below the shoulder and most of the time it is almost painless. My biggest problem is I have a small amount of body fat which makes a subcutaneous injection more difficult. I tend to hit muscle in my arm or thigh, my second choice which hurts and takes longer for the drug to have an effect. I have vials now but due to my alternative therapy I have not needed anything for almost 6 weeks now.  
I have no aversion to syringes so I am not worried about that...however using a syringe instead of the "bang stick" during an attack has yet to be tackled. I hear of folks preparing syringes ahead of time but I know how to inject myself and a fair amount of motor control is necessary for the correct manipulation of the syringe. Motor control is one of the first things I lose during an attack along with my eyesight etc etc....  

Hey Shawn...I found a media player you might like...   jammin

PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 2:39am »

Hey Fubar,
when i used to do imitrex, i always did the top of my leg.  and pushing the button was hard for me too!  i'd be hugging a teddy bear and have a friend on the phone telling me, "ok we're gonna count to 3 and then you're gonna push that button or i'm driving over!" lol  it never mattered how much pain i was in...the bang scared me to death.

then once i started using actual syringes with DHE, i got a LOT better with it.  i have experimented with lots of sites, and mast is right...if you're gonna do it in your thigh, the top is best.  i had a nurse prove this to me when i was inpatient, and after that i've always done it there and never gone back.  needle goes in easier there too because the skin isn't as tough.

recently i had a nurse tech from upstairs start doing the injections in the back of my arm.  over in a flash, and i don't have to worry about how long it takes me to get the needle in because of stopping myself from causing self-inflicted pain!  don't know how people in the old days actually stabbed themselves with stakes, when i can't even shove in a baby needle!  LOL  But it's getting better. Smiley

Good luck!
~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 2:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I suspect the the exact amount of Imitrex to inject may be different for each person and each attack.

For me, 1/2 shot works just as well as a full shot.
(Of course sometimes nothing works regardless)

I grab as much meat on the thigh as i can. Holding it with one hand and pushing the needle in with the other. You can't even feel it if you do it right.

Saves lots of $ and prescription refill hassles with the doc.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 8:30am »

Right leg, on the outside of the upper thigh every time.  I always sit on the crapper with ny pants down and the spot I use on the leg feels just right with the "bang stick" (I like that name for it!) in my right hand. Don't feel a thing - honest   Tongue

I have never been able to bring myself to use the imtrex tip as the thought of pushing the tiny needle and vial in is too much to bear with a kip 10.

As for the diabetic needle - we don't get the ampule form of imigran over here so can't fill a syringe from what I can see?

I haven't had to use the inj since May 2002 and hope I never do again but it is probably wishful thinking. I may give the Blue Meanie technique for a 1/2 shot a try next time.

I tried using a 2nd cut-down injector pen to give 1/2 a dose at the end of my last cycle.  I kept a full length injector pen to give the 2nd 1/2 dose but did not need to use it as my cycle ended just as I discovered the method. It seemed to work ok, but others reckon it might not. Might be worth a try?

John

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 8:36am »

I used to inject in the back of my left shoulder.  Thank God I didn't need trex for this last cycle.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 8:58am »

Dave says leg every time.............. ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
maggie_may
New Board Veteran
USA 

maggie_may_12   ladydeth12
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 9:16am »

I tend to inject into my left side - there's enough to grab onto without sticking any vessels or vital organs   Grin

The imitrex tip has saved me so many times, and I was really scared of sticking myself too, and it does feel a lil strange for me because I can feel the imitrex going in - but I figure, what's worse?

maggie
IP Logged

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

The human spirit is stronger than anything that happens to it. - C.C. Scott
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 10:11am »

I used the full dose and shot in the thigh every time.  Call me a wienee but I was afraid to use a regular needle.  

My husband uses the insulin needles and actually the stomach is the easiest place to inject (keep away from the belly button area though).  Never hurts and it is painless.  

If I ever go in to cycle again I may try the vials of Imitrex, pre-load the needle before I go to bed, and try giving it to myself in the stomach or thigh.
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
CHmess

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 10:36am »

My husband injects in his left arm ALWAYS (for migraines).  
He uses those things so much the spot is pretty much numb now and he can't even feel it anymore.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 10:50am »

Biceps, always

Trick, yes
IP Logged
totka
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Atsuko

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 11:03am »

As my Chinese acupuncture-doc asked "Why are big white man afraid of a little yellow man's little needle?"  

You can give 1/2 shot without any pain. Pinch the skin on your thigh and touch the needle to your skin. If you feel nothing, there aren't pain-perceiving nerves - give the injection.
IP Logged

I have two enemies, cluster headache and English grammar.
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 11:29am »

I think it's funny how a lot of you think a needle phobia has anything to do with pain.

I can't use a syringe, end of story.  I'd probably throw up or pass out trying.  It just isn't going to happen.  I am lucky there is the auto-injector.

If I could find a way to auto-inject 1/3 of a dose, then we'd be talking, but this nonsense about using an insulin syringe is pure fantasy.

Just like I don't understand people who are deathly afraid of clowns, I don't expect you to understand a true fear of injections.

So, the poll question was more about where do you give yourself the shot, regardless of your method, and secondly, do you use the Imitrex tip...

I'm also curious how long people wait before taking the shot?  At the first sign of an attack?  After the pain is set in?  Only when absolutely necessary?  I usually wait until absolutely necessary because I hate to waste it and it's expensive.  I used to suffer a lot just because I didn't want to waste my stash.  Stupid.

-Shawn
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:19pm by fubar » IP Logged

BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 11:36am »

on Dec 15th, 2003, 11:29am, fubar wrote:
I usually wait until absolutely necessary because I hate to waste it and it's expensive.  I used to suffer a lot just because I didn't want to waste my stash.  Stupid.-Shwan

Bump
IP Logged
Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 11:44am »

Shoulder and stomach.....

and i use the Imitrex tip too with the Imitrex Stat dose pins.  

I also use syringes and vials.

I sure wish that there was a way that you could take the meds from the nasal spray, and some how figure out how much to put in the syringe, so that you could inject it as well!

If anyone knows, please let me know about it!!

Mikey...
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 11:47am »

on Dec 15th, 2003, 11:29am, fubar wrote:
 I usually wait until absolutely necessary because I hate to waste it and it's expensive.  I used to suffer a lot just because I didn't want to waste my stash.  Stupid.

Same here Shawn, and I usually feel real stupid for waiting.  With me, it's not so much the cost (when I'm hurting, I don't think about that), but it's the amount of trex that I use.  I don't want to use it, so I wait. The only time I don't wait is if I am around other people in a social setting.  Then I inject at the VERY first twinge.

I use the vials and syringes.....three doses out of each vial.  I have injected in the thigh a few times (usually when I'm driving), but the thigh seems to hurt more, most of the time I use the upper shoulder or my ass (the bum is good, because the extra padding down there masks the burn going in.... Grin).  I've actually gotten pretty slick with the syringe, and can sometimes do it in a crowd and no one notices.  Scared a poor little football player to death this weekend in New Orleans though....only made it to the elevator and dropped my sweater and injected right in front of him.....LOL.  The look on his face was priceless.... Smiley
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Jimmy_B

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:00pm »

When I used imitrex injectable...it was always the same ritual.  Crawl into the bathroom, sit down on the throne & jab myself in the right side of my arse or thigh.

Then wait for it to kick in.

P.S. Never used the "tip"...because I found out about it after I couldn't use trex, anymore. But I probably would have tried it.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:02pm by Jimmy_B » IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Indejection
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:10pm »

Is there any, any, anybody out there that's bothered to try the Injex 30? I've never had to inject.....just shoot a nasal spray under my eyelid for extra fun. I ain't huckstering the Injex, but I sure as hell would like to open up a local franchise.......

Shooting up, down, over and out,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:23pm »

on Dec 15th, 2003, 11:47am, Roxy wrote:

Same here Shawn, and I usually feel real stupid for waiting.  With me, it's not so much the cost (when I'm hurting, I don't think about that), but it's the amount of trex that I use.  

Ya, I didn't mean to imply that the cost was the issue more than the running out of it because I wasted it on a Kip7 instead of a Kip8-10.

on Dec 15th, 2003, 11:47am, Roxy wrote:

Scared a poor little football player to death this weekend in New Orleans though....only made it to the elevator and dropped my sweater and injected right in front of him.....LOL.  The look on his face was priceless.... Smiley

Now *that* would be surprising.  Ummm... how *far* did you pull the sweater down?   Grin
IP Logged

Big Dan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

SMASH BRAIN!

Danboyceccg   DanielNBoyce
Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:09pm »

... stick the painfull little bastard right in my shoulder...

Tried the outside of my thigh once... and thought I was injecting muratic acid....  

... I count to three, and inject on 'two'... I'm slow.. so I can trick myself...  Grin

-Big IQ
IP Logged

Not going anywhere for a while?...

... Grab a Snickers, Fatass.
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:15pm »

on Dec 15th, 2003, 1:09pm, Big_Dan wrote:
... I count to three, and inject on 'two'... I'm slow.. so I can trick myself...  Grin

-Big IQ

LMAO  laugh
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:24pm »

bicep, right under the skin... ~2ml? slowly.

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2003, 1:26pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss