Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The rawest of deals.........bah humbug! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The rawest of deals.........bah humbug!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The rawest of deals.........bah humbug!  (Read 627 times)
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

The rawest of deals.........bah humbug!
« on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok so I just realised this,

I have worked for 10 years with this company to claw my way up to get a manager's position. What I end up with is this...............................

I have trained all the current managers at my store, and have more collective experience with the company than all of them combined. Corp. trainer, regional auditor, shift supervisor, cook. I have performed all of the managers duties aside from ONE thing, P&L calculation. I AM NOT a salaried manager, I get paid hourly (not always bad). The Salaried folk are getting their retirement plans rolled over, their insurance rolled over and a beautiful severance of about 10 grand, plus ALL of their vacation pay.

What am I getting you ask? (you'll LOVE this)

Notice that in two weeks our store will be closed. ( exactly one week prior to christmas no less), Pay for the vacation I've accrued (based on last years hours worked) losing about 45 hours. And possibly two more weeks pay IF and only IF I stay through the 4th of January. Other than that zilch.  
  My Insurance (which was worthless anyway and I didnt have) would be cut of as of Dec. 31st..  
  My retirement plan I could have rolled into another account had I been allowed to enroll in when I Started 10 yrs. ago but was told didn't exist, only to find out that I was directly lied to about 9.5 years too late.
  AND to boot.......I cant even say for real that I have been in management for the last 7 of those ten, simply because I didn't recieve a salary. Not technically a manager even though I trained em all and did their jobs in their abscence.

So ...............when all is said and done, I have been lied to all of my childhood, because, I was told that,"hard work and perseverance pays off in the end". Now I gotta ask...........................where is the not a very nice person that started this blatant lie so I can kill him/her?!

Dont any of you anymore wonder whats wrong with the kids today..................they are taught that the ends justifies the means everyday by us and the business world. Ya know what................it most certainly does.

My "boss" told me that HER boss knew 5 months ago that this was going to happen, but , couldn't say anything to avoid a mass migration before they could shut down and his job was threatened if he told. Basically, the lease came up for renewal this month and corporate didn't feel it was in their best interest to keep it open. So now myself and about 60 others are screwed. WHY? Because its Christmas time, all the money we worked for went to provide the holidays for our families ( having no idea we would soon be among the un-employed spent freely.) All the local businesses have hired all the help they need for the time being and there are a very few jobs to be had until mid-january almost all are part-time anyway. As if the local un-employment rate isnt staggering enough.
  And now I have a 127K house loan to pay for, a new car bought two or three weeks ago another 15K, ( again no idea) not to mention the rest of the bills and daily expenses.

Its finally fuckin over......( DOES NO ONE HAVE ANY KIND OF SENSE OF MORALITY?)

Merry Christmas?......................FUCK OFF! BAH HUMBUG!

I really hope you all are in better shape than me,
Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

Re: The rawest of deals.........bah humbug!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:35am »

Agreed.

Bah F*ckin' Humbug Indeed!

KOP
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2003, 3:50am by KingOfPain » IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
CathiP

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 12:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

'Bus....Yeah, It SUCKS! Agreed! In Jan, 2002, Gil and I went on a cruise....had a maaaahvelous time...got home, and, lo and behold, DOWNSIZED! We arrived home in time to sign his retirement papers....we were devastated! Nothing to do, but pound the pavement...1 self-employed family member was enough, in our opinion.....Gil secured a job with another company...he still enjoys going to work..in fact, his motto is "the worst day at work nowadays, is still twice as good as the best day at the other place". Sometimes, what we perceive to be baaad news turns out to be the very best thing that  could ever happen.
You have earned your unemployment, enjoy the holidays, and find something that makes you happy.
Good luck, and best wishes for a Merry Christmas to you and Woobie.
Oh,and PLEASE don't think I am diminishing your sitch...just telling you how it all shook down for us.
Corporate America isn't what it used to be......
Keep us posted!
Cathi
IP Logged
Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Work it out baby!

172144810 172144810    
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 1:04am »

Angry no loooylties  

BAH  HUMMBG   ineed another v*t ,michypooo
sorry Crashh hhyou;ll fiiind anotherr one beterrr

tiz the seeson for ggivingi pinK slllips - tell thim to kissu wher the sunDont shinne
  moonwiggle
IP Logged

You like apples? How ya like them apples?
When playing in the gym, beware of steel beams. - M. Amyx
Carve your name on hearts, and not on marble. - Charles H. Spurgeon

FYI - I am NOT a clusterhead.
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 1:16am »

One of my cooks, his name is Alan. His wife is terminally ill and will die of the complications of MS. He worked there for 20 yrs. to pay for his wifes medication and hospitalizations. His insurance ( the original policy) was covering most of his expenses.
  This man catnaps all night everynight to make sure she doesnt hurt herself ( she set herself on fire accidentaly a few weeks back cause her meds made her pass out over the stove while cooking) that was the second incident involving fire. He doesnt have a car (simply cant afford to own one, medical bills.) The only thing this man has lived and worked for is so he can take care of her. They live with his parents who are also old and declining. His older sister had to move in with them to help pay for things a little.
  Its him what happens to him? He broke down in tears at the meeting, troubled by the thought that he has failed his only pride and joy.............his wife. He looked at me and said................."Jeezus Ramon, How am I gonna take care of my wife?" Then he began to tremble and simply broke down.  

I am not worried about me, I'll find work I always have and will. Its Al  and the others I'm worried about. Christmas is supposed to be a time of sharing, and rememberance of Jesus's birth. But damnit people....................Where's the Jesus in that?
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 2:28am »

Quote:
DOES NO ONE HAVE ANY KIND OF SENSE OF MORALITY?

Not for about 20 years. Employees are just an expense to cut now. Civility and caring for others has become scarce.  Angry  

Really hate to hear this Ramon.  Things are still going ther other way too.  Angry

Need help making firebombs?

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
KingOfPain
New Board Hall of Famer

Disgusted!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 3:54am »

on Dec 23rd, 2003, 1:16am, Cerberus wrote:
One of my cooks, his name is Alan. His wife is terminally ill and will die of the complications of MS. He worked there for 20 yrs. to pay for his wifes medication and hospitalizations. His insurance ( the original policy) was covering most of his expenses.
  This man catnaps all night everynight to make sure she doesnt hurt herself ( she set herself on fire accidentaly a few weeks back cause her meds made her pass out over the stove while cooking) that was the second incident involving fire. He doesnt have a car (simply cant afford to own one, medical bills.) The only thing this man has lived and worked for is so he can take care of her. They live with his parents who are also old and declining. His older sister had to move in with them to help pay for things a little.
  Its him what happens to him? He broke down in tears at the meeting, troubled by the thought that he has failed his only pride and joy.............his wife. He looked at me and said................."Jeezus Ramon, How am I gonna take care of my wife?" Then he began to tremble and simply broke down.  

I am not worried about me, I'll find work I always have and will. Its Al  and the others I'm worried about. Christmas is supposed to be a time of sharing, and rememberance of Jesus's birth. But damnit people....................Where's the Jesus in that?

All this happening to you Ramon,
& you still have the compassion  
& caring to think of others.

My hat is off to you Sir.

KOP
IP Logged

Arrived August, 1999.

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.
- Denis Diderot
Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends. - Euripides
ShariRae
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

83098455 83098455    
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 7:20am »

I think KOP said it best...
Shari
IP Logged

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:42am »

If this store is national, I think a clusterhead and clusterbuddy boycott is in order.
IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 5:59pm »

Thomas,

The chain IS national, those who live on the east coast will know it best. A.H.C.I Inc. The company logo is the one and only Ground Round. There ya have it Bostoninans. Braintree's baby the Ground Round.

I'm done,
Ramon
IP Logged

forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 7:36pm »

About American Hospitality Concepts Inc. (AHCI)

Founded in 1998 for the purpose of creating successful brands in the restaurant and hospitality industry, American Hospitality Concepts Inc. currently owns, operates and/or franchises six casual dining concepts - Berkshire Grill, Tin Alley Grill, The Ground Round, The Gold Fork, Tap & Grill and Rumbleseats. Together, these six concepts number more than 150 restaurants located in 25 states in New England, the Mid-West and the Mid-Atlantic region as well as Canada. Headquartered in Braintree, Massachusetts, AHCI is owned by Boston Ventures Fund V. For more information on American Hospitality Concepts Inc., view their web site at www.ahconcepts.com.

Restaurants and retail stores usually bend there employee's over pretty hard, wish I could help with a boycot but these guys aren't around out here in Indian country.

Lee
IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:05pm »

Lee,

Witchita and Manhattan, KS are the closest to you. And both have been bought and franchised. They'll be in Oklahoma soon enough.
  Berkshire Grill is no longer corporate owned, whichever stores were not bought outright were shut down. Tap and Grill has gone the same route. Ground Round is booming as franchised entities. I have worked for all of the "concepts" except rumbleseats and gold fork. I don't think there are but one each of those within the company.

Don't let corporate america tell you that your hard work means nothing. It is, after all, OUR sweat and blood that pays for their yachts and vacations.

Ramon
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:16pm »

I gotta ask brother.

What criminal enterprise do you work for?
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:27pm »

It's all about numbers now....and has been for a while. Stockholders demand ROI, and the easiest way to give it to them (short term) is cutting expenses. That includes people.

While I sure don't agree with the tactics most of corporate America uses, companies are formed to make money....pure and simple. Upper management is hired, SUPPOSEDLY, to insure that happens. Often times they make sure that THEY make money first, the company comes second. That attitude is what I have a problem with.

I feel for anyone that looses a job, particularly at this time of year.

My only advice is take the experience you have and become a salesman. Sell yourself. There are jobs out there. Believe me, GOOD people still are hard to find.  

Try and remember.....when one door closes, another door opens. That thought has helped me through more than I care to think about.

Bill

IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:29pm »

C.....

Yes,   KOP said it best, but I want to add something here.

You are important to the people who are important.!

Your hard work didn't go un-noticed.
It wasn't for nothing.
AND...........I wish you were right here so I could give you a hug and a big fat ol.......HIGH FIVE.  

All your friends here can then join me in a big ol MIDDLE FINGER SALUTE.  

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Edna
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:49pm »

Ramon,  

wishing you luck in overcoming this hardship. You are truly compassionate to be considering others when you face the same loss. I know you'll overcome what you must, but know that I'm thinking of you and praying that you soon find the peace to overcome what you must!!

May you be comforted in realizing the blessings you DO have at this time of the year, and that is where you'll find the Jesus in this.

Merry Christmas to both you and Tina

hugs,
EDNA
IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 8:57pm »

Thanks everyone, your words of encouragement are always a help to me one way or another.

I am just so upset that my staff is getting the hot beef injection from corporate. Al is especially noteworthy in my prayers, he has been there for me when my cycle made me pretty much worthless on the job, and it just sickens me to see such a good person/people get shafted.

So folks here's big fuckineh vibes to Alan and his wife.
so pls help me remember what christmas is all about and send up a prayer or two for someone I will miss dearly. Cry (hell I already do and I still got a week left to stew about it) he is a true supporter.

Don, currently I work for the Ground Round Mafia, soon to be extinct in my city. I may end up working in Janesville,WI. for one of the G.M.s that is buying that franchise............Ironic I know, but, you can bet your last dollar that I am not doing it for the company.

I used to play for the love of the game, now, its all about the money.

Ramon
IP Logged

Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 9:42pm »

Sad but True! Sooner or later ya learn it never was about you, but about that bottom line. The almighty $$.
One day, someone will ask you where is your loyalty, Why dont you give more to the company? And i am sure that will be the day you just have to laugh and tell them that your loyalty is with you alone!

Patrick
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
don

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:04pm »

Well then my man, it wont save your job but if its any consolation I will eat dirt, bark, and leaves befor I'll ever spend a fuckin dime in a Ground Round.

I aint got much but I aint payin on a house, a car, nor do I have family or kids so if I can help ya out you just drop me an email.

Ya gotta believe that when one door closes, another one opens. Just go through the door when it does.
IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:30pm »

I don't need nothin Don, Just pray fer my buddy Al.

Ramon
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss