Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is it normal to lose your Balance? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is it normal to lose your Balance?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is it normal to lose your Balance?  (Read 707 times)
NYRenee
New Board Newbie
USA 

All I can do is B there for U

Is it normal to lose your Balance?
« on: Feb 13th, 2004, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi I'm a newbie to the boards, my boyfriend is the one who has the clusters...I've been very concerned because lately he has been losing his balance especially when he has to bend over to tie his shoes or picks something up.  Is this normal?  I mentioned it to his doctor at his last visit and he didn't seem overly concerned?  

Thank you...oh and this website has been wonderful in giving us much needed information to take to the doctor(s).

NYRenee
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

Re: Is it normal to lose your Balance?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 2:03pm »

Is he on any medication that could be causing this?
When I was on Verapamil there were times I became light headed because of low bp.

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
magman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 2:07pm »

Renee, Check your email please.

Peace,
dan
IP Logged
AlienSpaceBabe

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 2:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

just after a cluster headache i have a hard time balancing ... but this sounds like something else.... i suggest he let his doctor know, and make sure to tell the doctor everything he's taking as medications.

good luck!
IP Logged
NYRenee
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 2:36pm »

I would have to get back to you on the meds he's on...I can't keep track...I know he hasn't been on the Verapamil although I have given him a lot of info from the boards on this med.

The last time we were at the ER he mentioned he felt like there was a "bucket of water"sloshing around in his head.  Of course the ER doctor just looked at him like and what do yo want me to do about it?  They did a blood test to make sure an artery was okey-dokey and then gave him a shot of demerol and that was it. At least he was able to sleep a couple hours.

Thanks for the info, for some reason I wasn't thinking it could be meds?  I will make sure I mention it to him.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 6:04pm »

No, it is not normal.

Has he ever been to a neurologist and had a neurological exam?

Every time I go to the neurologist, he tests my balance.  I assume it is to rule out degenerative nerve or muscle disorders.  Whether your boyfriend's lack of balance is clinically significant or not... only a trained neurologist can determine.  On the other hand, it could be something such as fluid in the ear, or a sinus problem.  Get it checked out.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

All the years combine...they melt into a dream...

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 7:23pm »

I'm gonna bet that a lot of us have had HA's that have left us hurting in many different ways, and moving this way or that way might give us a bad sensation...so maybe it was just a case of bending over and a rush of pain or disorientation or vertigo or something transient...

or maybe something more sinister.  if it happens again it has to be lookd into more deeply, becasue it certainly is NOT a common trait of clusters.  then again, on the whole, there is little about clusters that can be said to be "common"...

your boyfriend is lucky to have you looking after him, Renee.  do stick around here and read up...there's a lot of experience on these boards.  at the very least there are ears willing to listen. Smiley
IP Logged

This is the mystery of the quotient; upon us all a little rain must fall...
bobkip
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14th, 2004, 7:32pm »

Not normal for me tho I have done some bouncing off the walls while walking the beast.
Kip
IP Logged
NYRenee
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 12:08pm »

Thank you everyone for your input, much appreciated....he was recently on something called methadose?  Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't.  I mentioned to William about possible ear or sinus infection but since we made another trip to the ER on Sunday, we quickly found out that it wasn't an infection causing his loss of balance, they also did blood work - so far we haven't heard back on all the tests, and they did another CScan, nothing unregular found.

The doc is taking him off the methadose (thank God) and putting him on Topomax (thanks to this website)...maybe it was the methadose making him dizzy/lose of balance or maybe it's the general lack of sleep or combination?  Oh and even though he had a very bad experience with the last neuro he's going to give it another shot with much prodding from me.  A big Thanks to everyone ! Many prayers to you all !
IP Logged
magman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 1:05pm »

Renee,

Thanks for the update. Hope William gets the meds he needs and feels better soon. The offer I sent you via email still stands, the number I sent is toll free. Call anytime!

Peace and PF vibes,
-dan
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 1:41pm »

Just looked up "methadose".........

Methadose
Active Ingredients: Methadone Oral  
Representative Names: Dolophine, Methadose  
Available Product Images:  
Generic Available?  A generic alternative may be available. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
For general information on generic drugs click here.  
Who is this for?
Methadone is used to relieve severe pain. It also is used in treatment programs for people addicted to narcotics. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

No WONDER he was losing his balance.......he was jacked up on methadone! That's a piss poor choice for treating CH.
Topomax is gaining a lot of acceptance for treating CH......but unless it's ramped UP and DOWN properly, he _may_ have a bit of a hard time remembering that.......remembering that........(what the heck WAS he trying to remember?)
Good luck with the Topomax, and _remember_ to let us know how he's doing.

Free Willie,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

civics queen who beats the beast most of the time

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 3:33pm »

Topamax also can make you feel a little off-balance....it did that to me somewhat.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Losing his balance ? Bucket of water swashing in is head ? Doesn't sound nothing like clusters. I can't believe the doc didn't seam concerned. Check the meds board. The kind of meds he's taking is NOT for clusters. Find another doc.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss