Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Back to the neuro »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Back to the neuro
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Back to the neuro  (Read 318 times)
duck_soup
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Back to the neuro
« on: Feb 16th, 2004, 11:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm running full speed toward the cliff.  It's always like this for me.  Things build to a fever pitch, then finally tail off.  Only problem is I'm getting about 4-5 ch per day, O2 don't work, and I'm going through imitrex like water.  I've forced myself to use half shots, but it takes about 30-60 min for the ha to go away, and the time between them is short.  Can't work, can't play, pretty much ain't worth a shit.

I got a great neuro.  Dr. Soso from the Headache Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.  The wait to see him is about 3 months, but he gets his cluster people in next day.  In the past, when I've reached this point in the cycle, I would go on a last pred taper and the thing would go away.  That's what I'm going to ask him for, but the last one I did about 10 days ago didn't do squat.  Should I ask him to up the dose and try to nuke it?  I got to break this imitrex cycle before I scream and run out of $$.  Luckily, the neuro wrote a letter to the insurance co and the shots only cost $15 each instead of $45.  That and the nurses all feel sorry for me and give me bunches of samples.

Anyway, I just wondered if my plan (or lack thereof) is a good one.  Based on what worked before, I figure I should try the pred one more time, then officially panic.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Rick
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: Back to the neuro
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 11:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ask for a dhe treatment, (iv) I think that's the point you're at righ now, my friend.............. stay strong Smiley
IP Logged
duck_soup
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2004, 11:22pm »

thomas,

I've read about dhe of course, but in the 25 years I've had these things I've never had it.  I know it pre-dates sumatriptan.  What exactly does it do?  Will it shock me out of this spiral that I'm in?  Is it something that he does in his office?  Sorry for all the questions, but in reading all the stuff on this site, I was thinking that was what I should do, too, but I really don't know the details.

thanks
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 9:10am »

The medical literature I've seen, plus reports of folks here, suggest that DHE has  "so-so" track record. Likely worth trying if other approaches have failed but a major objection is cost of a lengthy procedure.

Ask about another Pred cycle. Starting dose varies from 10mg to 100mg and it may be necessary to run another cycle or two, increasing the dose each time, to find that which works for you.

Glad that you have found a good doc to work with. That in itself is a source of relief!
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 4:03pm »

Duck...hope things are okay, let us know how your doing...hang in there...

Vibes from across the pond....

Cathy Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

duck_soup
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 12:38pm »

on Feb 17th, 2004, 9:10am, Bob_Johnson wrote:
Ask about another Pred cycle. Starting dose varies from 10mg to 100mg and it may be necessary to run another cycle or two, increasing the dose each time, to find that which works for you.

Bob,

Just got back and he gave me a new script for prednisone, 20 mg.  Fingers are crossed.  Thanks for the info.  He also gave me 5 samples of imitrex with 2 shots per.  What a guy!  Looks like I'll have to get him a bottle of good scotch.  Too bad I can't drink any with him til these damn things are over.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss