Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 12:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Subconscious »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Subconscious
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Subconscious  (Read 669 times)
Flsunshine
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Subconscious
« on: Feb 15th, 2004, 3:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am in my 4th week of episodic CH and I realized something about my cycles.  From Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM I never have a CH.  I get hit in the evenings and wake during the night.  Weekends they occur day and night.  I wonder if something in my subconscious mind keeps this demon away during the hours I have to be at work but knows at night and weekends it's free to hit whenever...It's a beautiful near 80 degree day today and I sit here with barely the strength to take a shower but when it's time for work I'll be ready.  Do I somehow have the power to make these headaches stop & start?  Any thoughts?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: The Subconscious
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 4:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

other possibilities:

1) stress goes down on weekends. See post "Trauma / Stress / Depression & CH" in this section - cortisone and adrenaline might play a role.

2) many people stay up later on weekends, affecting their sleep/circadian cycles.  (although when I am in cycle, I can't sleep normally even if I want to).  

3) I am assuming you don't drink on friday night - that could definitely extend a warm welcome to the beast, and he might stay a day or two.  

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2004, 4:17pm by floridian » IP Logged
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2004, 9:52pm »

Cluster headaches pick and choose their own times and places.

I was fortunate too to have most of mine in the evenings and middle of the night.

Now I've been pain free since 1986 after having cycles twice a year for 28 years.  Go figure.

IP Logged
Bunky
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 4:44pm »

Donna,

Can you attribute being pain free since 1986 to anything in particular?  New drug?  Different diet?  Better sleep?  Or did it just happen one day - like how it does when you get CH?
IP Logged
Flsunshine
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 6:36pm »

This is my 3rd episode of CH & there has been 6-7 years between each episode.  Makes no sense to me has nothing has changed.  Took verapamil for first & second episodes & it worked but I can't remember how long it took now.  Been on it for nearly 4 weeks now & it hasn't helped yet which scares me that it's not going to work this time.  I wish I knew why I only get them during the day on weekends.  It's weird.
IP Logged
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2004, 7:04pm »

I'm episodic too and have been getting these things for several years. (1) I've never had a HA in the morning, (2) I can count on one hand the number I've had in the afternoon (3) when I'm in a cycle I usually only get one a night......about an hour to an hour and a half after I fall asleep every night until the cycle is over. Sometimes (like now), I'll get 2 or 3 a night....2 moderate ones and one bad one and I've never had one past 1:00 am. I can't predict what time of the year they'll start and stop, but I know what time of the day to expect them. Very weird.....you could be right, subconscious expectations might have something to do with bringing them on. I know that alcohol does it for me....one glass of wine and 15 minutes later I have a screaming HA, so once I know I'm in a cycle, I'm on the wagon till it's gone.
    Rich
IP Logged
aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 9:31am »

This may be totally wrong, but I always thought it had to do with oxygen...when you're asleep, and reach REM and your oxygen intake slows WAY down...weekends, may be as said before, staying up late and disrupting your sleeping patterns.  

I have only experienced a few times when I've gotten them at work, man does it suck, the comfortability factor alone, makes it horrible, then trying to drive home with an ice pack over one eye, WOOOHOOO loads of fun!  

Be thankful, not that you have CH of course, but that you are at home in a safe and familiar environment.

PFDAN to ya sweetie!!
IP Logged
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 2:13pm »

Aprilbee,
 You are absolutely right about the comfort factor....I'd much rather be at home if I have to deal with these things. I can go through my little routine without bothering anyone except my wife (who is used to it).
     The couple of afternoon attacks I had happened at work and I couldn't just work through them......I had to go outside and pace around. People were probably wondering "what's with this guy?....walking around holding his eye and muttering to himself". Much better to be in an environment of your chosing.
     Rich
IP Logged
PatFan
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 2:21pm »

Relaxation and REM sleep are my biggies. Afternoon naps get me as well. The more stress and the busier I am at work, usually means less headaches.
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 3:42pm »

I wish I di dnot get them at work.  Mine are all damn day long every frigging day whether I am working or not.  Mine are clock work. 3am, 6am, 10am, 2pm, 5pm 7pm, 10pm and then it starts all over again.  The meds that I am on seem to be making them a little less intense, well at least some of them.  I hate getting them in public, but no matter what life has to go on, no matter if I am at work, at home of in the grocery store.  Now that one is fun. Getting the sweats and feeling the beast clawing my eye out while I am in the check out line.  Havng the cashier look at me like I have 3 heads while all I am doing is trying to get the hell out of there as soon as possible.  

The oxygen thing might be a factor as well. Ever since mine started in July, my asthma has tripled in intensity. So maby if I can treat my asthma daily that might help rather then just with my inhailer when I get an attack.  

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 12:37am »

My mom recently told one of her new doctors about my condition.  He suggested hipnosis and that he knew of a doctor that was terrific at this.  The next day this doctor calls me.  Starts asking me all kinds of questions about what happened when I was 13 (when the ha's started)that was so traumatic that would start these.  I kind of giggled through most of his questions.  Told him the only time that I went without ha's was when I was pregnant with my 2 children.  He then proceeded to ask why could I shut them off when I was pregnant and not now.  SHUT THEM OFF.  God, if only I could shut them off.  He told me that we needed to me so that we could get further into this.  With 5 meetings at $150 a pop (now this is Canadian so just imagine what that is is US $) I said don't call me, I'll call you.  

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 12:24pm »

Good for you Belle.  I can't believe some drs.  they think they got the cure for everything.  What a joke.  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
floridian

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 12:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree - the idea that cluster headaches are psychological is bio-illogical.  Things like the "circulatory technique" make sense, and are worth a try.  Maybe hypnosis could help if it was directed at changing the blood pressure, or increasing endorphins - but not for age regression to find out "what happened" when you were 13.   Hypnosis and circulation technique should be seen as a way to better cope with the pain - not a therapy that gets to the root of the disease.  And 5 x $150 = $750!!  That's alot of money.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2004, 1:02pm by floridian » IP Logged
genss
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 11:26am »

Donna H.  

I am curious about your lifestyle changes.  I would like to know if you can think of anything that may have taken away your CH.  ANYTHING??
IP Logged
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 7:48pm »

Donna - the only thing that has ever taken away my h/a is oxygen. Nothing else has ever worked for me.

I'd like to chime in on Flsunshine's original post.

At age 42, mine started in 1995. I have averaged two episodes/yr with average duration of 4-6 weeks. I usually get 2-3 a day with one always coming at 1 or 2 am. The other one or two usually are in the early evening at random times.

I had never really thought about it before, but I have never had one at work. Ever. Yet, I do get them during the day on weekends occasionally. And during this episode, I took an afternoon off a while ago and got one just a couple of hours later while shopping.

Weird.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 8:39pm »

The only co-relation I've experienced with energy level and clusters was when I took prednisone, which keeps your energy high and that did a job of keeping them from coming through, although it constantly felt that they were trying to come through.  
  CH seems to like when I relax or am sleeping, but while active, like at work or while doing weekly errands and I am keeping busy, it will take the opportunity to let me know it can come and go as it wishes within me.  Whenever it feels like it.  Some opportunities are easier for it to express itself, but if it wants to, it can muster the strength to make my whole life an opportunity to thrive as it pleases.  
  Being episodic, it can take long naps anytime it wants with the confidence that whenever it feels like waking up, it can again assume command.  Like a grizzly denning close to a flock of sheep.
  The power to make these things stop or start?  Just do the best you can with medication which works for you.  It's like building a fence around a flock of sheep.  The grizzly may get detoured by the obstruction, but when it feels like it, it will find a way through.  

Mine have no respect for the workplace.

Welcome

Kevin M
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss