Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « weight »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   weight
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: weight  (Read 552 times)
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

weight
« on: Feb 28th, 2004, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi ...I don't want to anger anyone here but I have a question....does anyone else loose weight while in cycle?  I am now in 4th week of what used to be just 2 week cycle and  am beginning to get uncomfortable with this issue...the only thing I take is imitrex and I guess it has put my appetite on hold..I have to consciously  THINK about eating.   Just a feeler...anyone have similiar situation?     thanx    Karen
IP Logged

tell me...did the wind sweep you off a' your feet...
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: weight
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2004, 10:46pm »

Renny,  

Well, I've not known imitrex to affect any regular appetite.  The nasal spray can leave a bad taste in your mouth, still no affect on appetite.  It's not typical of imitrex, to inhibit stomach acids.  
  I've lost weight while in cycle, and other times gained.   Sorry not more to tell you to allay your concerns.  Longer cycle this time though eh?  They can vary in length.  Hope this one gets gone soon for you.  Stay with the board, clusters are concerning and someone and many will help guide through the rough waters.  
  Glad you found us and are with us with your clusters.  It's the place for all your questions, others with more brain cells than me are very ready to respond with more fitting answers.  I just use imitrex and haven't notice appetite loss.  

Best to you

Kevin M

IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 5:53am »

No weight loss. You need more than a cluster to get that off me...
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 10:15am »

on Feb 28th, 2004, 9:47pm, renny wrote:
the only thing I take is imitrex and I guess it has put my appetite on hold..I have to consciously  THINK about eating.

Imitrex has never affected me that way.  Is there any reason why you are not taking any preventative meds?

Just curious...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Samantha_Smith
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 9:34pm »

I've battled constantly with weight loss/ch med issues as well as "not feeling hungry" issues. Often times I'll use phenergan (as an anti-nausea med) or I'll resort to drinking nutritional supplements like Ensure or Boost.  

Once I get sick of that then I'll start making my own juices with the Juiceman Jr. machine.  My favorite combo was 3 MacIntosh apples, one large cuke, and 4 medium carrots.  Ummmm....and the cuke juice actually curbs my upset stomach.  

Other tasty high calorie combo tricks are:

1.) Blending Ensure with ice cream
2.) Blending Ensure with frozen strawberries, etc.
3.) Blending plain yogurt with frozen strawberries, mangoes, raspberries, etc.

Yet another trick is to eat very, very small but frequent meals.  Like eat a piece of fruit at 10 am, a bowl of yogurt at 11:30, an Ensure at 1 pm, etc etc.  If you try to eat 3 big meals a day and like all good Americans should (ha ha) then you just end up discouraged and not wanting to eat anything.

Oh yeah......I've dealt with this issue.  I feel for you. Those are all the tricks I know of so far. If I figure out more I'll be sure to notify you. Good luck.
IP Logged

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm."
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 29th, 2004, 9:58pm »

Yes, I seem to always lose weight during a cycle, I don’t fell like eating nor want to eat something that is a trigger and it’s a moving target for me.  I to must force myself to eat, kind of a necessity…eventually I seem to gain it all back.

Now how could you anger us....

It was good to see you in Dallas and look forward to our next meet.

Rick
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 1:17am »

Smileythanx to all who responded...there may be other factors at play here besides Ch's and imitrex.   Just thought I would feel things out and narrow down possible reasons....  Rick it was lovely to meet you and your wife.  Chris my Dr is fam physician and will only prescribe imitrex...it is only ans. he has....working on Neuro in this area...Kevin thanx for support..Ave, I wanna meet you!    this place is a Godsend, I thank you all         Karen
IP Logged

renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 1:21am »

SmileyAnd Samantha...great advice...I will try to unearth my juicer from  the depths!   I know it is here....I like your thought process....can only help to give it a try.   Karen
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 6:08am »

Hi Renny,

when I had my very first cycle back in 2002, I lost a lot of weight. But when the current one started in October, my doc put me on cortison and thanks to that I gained some. But as it still goes on, the weight is shedding off, so with me, it depends on the meds. Currently I have only painkillers...

Loads of PFdays  Smiley,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 10:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sorry, I eat like a horse, and ususally put on about 10-20 llbs during a cycle.
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 2:30pm »

I hate to eat while i am getting hit. I dont really have a cycle as this one has been going on since July.  Undecided But as the pain gets worse my appitite lowers even more then normal. Then another issue is if my HA coincides with when everyone else is eating, I wont eat.  So my HA at 12:30, if I dont eat early, will stop me from eating lunch all of the time.  

Tiannia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 5:40pm »

Hey Renny,

I lost too much weight from headache pain and med reactions once, and the hospital made me drink Boost shakes with every meal.  I found I could only tolerate the strawberry ones!  It's also a lot better if they are cold!  (Everyone says that about Ensure, too.)  Also, you could go with a slimfast shake in addition to your meal if you like those.  A guy I know did that for awhile to put on some pounds.

Since I started getting full blown clusters in November, though...I've done nothing but gain weight.  Gained 15-20 pounds. Boooooo Sad  I think it's from all the stress!  I don't eat during an attack though really either.  

Best of luck! Smiley
Lizzie
IP Logged

Melissa

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 8:15am »

I was just able to get on imitrex during my last cycle, and it had no affect on my weight whatsoever.  On the other hand, I always dread the beginning of a cycle, because I carb load like crazy 2 days before it begins.  I'm not sure how my next cycle is going to go though, because I am now maintaining a low carb diet.  I'll be curious to see what's going to happen and how I'm going to handle it.  Anyhow, when I eat so much before a cycle beings, I think my body is trying to prepare for getting hit.  Kind of like carb loading before a marathon.  I think getting hit takes a ton of energy to get through!
IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 9:17am »

Smileyhi Mel...just saw your pictures on other brd...wow...way to go girl...I think you are right about energy factor involved here.   I am now past one month w/ this cycle and am down almost 10 pounds....which is starting to look bad on person like me...The Atkins program is phenomenal....Good for you!!!!

Myself...I bet chocalate will help.....seems to help everything else!
IP Logged

Melissa

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 9:24am »

Renny, thank you so much hon!! Grin  And, I am envious you get to go eat some chocolate, that is the one thing where I cannot eat just one piece.  I am a recovering chocoholic!!  By the way, I really hope you are getting some relief from your clusters, it always pains me to know, even though I'm in remission, that others are getting hit. Angry

take care,
mel
IP Logged
renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 9:34am »

SmileyGeesh...is it possible that ch people are the nicest, kindest, sweetest people in the world?   THANX Melissa...that was nice... and I like your picture!!!
          Karen
IP Logged

renny
New Board Junior
USA 

rennny07   renny
Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:00am »

Smileyhey Mel re: picture...I meant the tiger in your profile!!!
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #17 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 7:46am »

I'm with Thomas on this one. CH and Imitrex never caused me to lose my appetite, in fact eating is just about the only joy left in life when in cycle.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss