Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 2:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Please help.....argghhhhhh »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Please help.....argghhhhhh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please help.....argghhhhhh  (Read 504 times)
sportypants
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Please help.....argghhhhhh
« on: Feb 18th, 2004, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

Ive just been diagnosed with CH and am crossing my fingers that my doc has got it wrong (she usually does but all the signs are that I have CH).

Im 31 and have never smoked & drink moderately, last Wednesday I experienced pain similar to a sinus infection I had around 6 years ago, my doc prescribed me amoxillan (250mg) tabs which done very little.

My head is hurting a few times per day, my eye does water (but I have weepy eyes anyway), my nose does get blocked (but I have a cold) and my eye does become a little puffy. I know the signs aren't good but I am hoping its all gonna clear up soon and never re-appear.

I am so frightened that I could now be suffering from CH and dont know what to do, my doctor says my blood pressure was high when I visited and that could be causing the headaches and also the fact that I have a cold could be contributing to the pain, does anyone agree with this?

Also I was prescribed Imigran 10mg spray which I took for the first time earlier and it didnt do anything, eventually the pain vanished after about 2-3 hours which is what its been doing since last week, I also went 2 days (sun/mon) with no headaches just a small dull sensation.

Please can somebody give me their opinion on this as Im absolutely gutted Sad

BTW I really symathise with anyone who suffers with this terrible condition, by the sounds of it my pain isnt half as bad as some poor buggers whos posts Ive just been reading, I do hope they find a mirracle treatment to rid the condition once and for all for everyones sake.........

Regards,

JJ
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: Please help.....argghhhhhh
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 11:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Read, read, read......... I hope you don't have ch either, but you may Sad, in any case, welcome aboard.... There are other Brits here who can better advise you, as they are more familiar with the medical industry on your side of the pond.
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 12:01pm »

Hmmmmm, as Wendy said elsewhere, the British medical profession has discovered clusters and is now discovering cluster patients right left and center.

You don't say anything about it being one-sided. Clusters usually are. If ithe pain  is in the centre of your forehead, it is a fair bet it won't be clusters.
Have you tried rinsing with lukewarm salt water? Apply with an eyedropper; tastes foul but does clear up the sinuses.
In case it is clusters, try and contact  

http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk

the british site for cluster sufferers. They know all about the NHS and you have a better chance of a fast answer as they are, of course, in your own time zone.

all the best
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 12:13pm »

Ch pain is like pain I never knew existed.  If your pain is not so bad, hopefully you have something else...
Good Luck

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 8:37pm »

on Feb 18th, 2004, 12:13pm, kissmyglass wrote:
Ch pain is like pain I never knew existed.  If your pain is not so bad, hopefully you have something else...
Good Luck

Kev

I'd slam my fingers in a car door every two minutes if it would keep the CH away...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Flsunshine
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 9:11pm »

If someone points gun at you and says "i'm going to shoot you" and you say PLEASE DO you have CH
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 9:52am »

Your expressed fear will drive up BP to a remarkable degree. While you are working with your doc, please do homework by reading the medical material (buttons on the left) and make contact with OUCH-UK. Learning about the problem will help reduce the fear.

Very possible that the spray didn't work because of the nasal congestion--so that was a poor test of whether you have CH or not.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
mediccpc
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 2:50pm »

JJ,  

Welcome sorry you had to find us. As a paramedic I can tell you that your high blood pressure could cause Headaches. I think that this may be different though. Usually the headache will stay around for as long as the Blood Pressure is high. Once the pressure comes down the pain goes away. Since your headaches come and go, I would not think that that Hypertension is related. Again, I am a paramedic and you should continue to follow up with your doctor.

Chris
IP Logged
sportypants
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 5:14pm »

Firstly, thank you all for replying.

I have been back to the doctors and read extensively on CH and my first thing is I definately clear, that is I DO NOT experience as much pain as nearly all of you unfortunate people have described, whilst the pain renders me unable to work/continue as normal, I do find that my natural reaction is to lie down, push my hand into my right eye and hope the pain goes ASAP.

As I said before, my symptoms are uncanny for what my doc/I read about CH; Running/blocked nose on the side where the pain is, tearing in the eye where the pain is, redenning of the eye and pain ( but nowhere near as bad as you all have described). My first experience consisted of 4 days, exactly 26hrs apart each time, 2-4 hours of pain above right eye, side temple and my ace felt very tender...the pain also seemed to throb and climb in grade over 10 seconds like gradd 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,BANG! then 1,2,3....dont know if that makes sence?? Also I have experienced NO Visual problems or no Nausea/Sickness?

Since my first post I have only suffered 1 more attack and have at this time been headache free for 2 days, although I constantly feel a slight twinge above my right eye quite regurarly but it seems to stop at that.

My doctor at least knew what CH was and I am now hoping/thinking that maybe combined with my sinus/cold I may have been experiencing sinus pain and maybe TH or something, I am a computer programmer and do spend long periods typing which I know is a cause for TH so maybe this is what I experienced, with regards to the constant twinge? Any ideas??

As mediccpc pointed out, I understand too that my high BP can be a casue of headaches and have been back to the doctors to test me for any blood/kidney and other possible problems.

My pain is like I said nowhere near as bad as you definate CH sufferers have described so Im lost now, is this the beginning of CH or is the pain always WHAM! there straight away?

Anyway, I am determined to follow this through and find the definate cauase as to hopefully make others aware that sometimes things may not be as they appear (what I mean is PLEASE GOD make it a simple TH/Sinus combo and not the BIG MAC!!).

To close, Id just like to add how much I feel for all CH sufferers, my experience so far is undoubtedly nothing compared to what many of you gop through, for that you have my utmost repect and admiration for dealing with the uncertainess you face each evening/morning thinking when the beast is going to strike next .......

Sincerely and respectfully,

JJ
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 5:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My first two cycles were very short and the pain level was relatively low............. so you sound very familiar to my story......... I was able to cope with them without meds......... I did have an er visit once...... in the 2nd cycle........ as the years went on the cycles got longer and more pain intensive........ so if you are like me...... prepare yourself my friend...... Sad  But hey at least you have us...... Grin
IP Logged
Belle
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Kiss Me You Fool!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 5:30pm »

I was the same as Thomas.  When I had my first two cycles ithey only lasted about two weeks and I dealt with it with Tylenol.  They progressively got longer and more intense as each year passes.  I look at a bottle of Tylenol now and laugh.  Hope you never have to experience that great of pain.

Wishing you more PFD's

Belle
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Take the time to stop and smell the roses!
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 8:30pm »

on Feb 19th, 2004, 5:14pm, sportypants wrote:
is this the beginning of CH or is the pain always WHAM! there straight away?

I'm chronic, so no cycles...the first couple of years, while debilitating, were no where near as bad as they have been the last 8 years.

For me, they came on relatively mild.  Still hurt like hell, but I'd rate the first couple of years at a kip 7 with an occasional 8.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 8:49pm »

Hey JJ,
You said
Quote:
my natural reaction is to lie down.

That goes against everything I've ever head about clusters.

Do these words ring a bell?
Difficult to remain still - movement can 'trigger' attacks
Excruciating jabs

Has your doctor suggested it may be CPH, Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania

CPH is very responsive to Indomethacin

Click this to compare CPH, clusters and other typs of headaches.
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/comparison_table.htm
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19th, 2004, 10:20pm »

I experienced an isolated CH attack a year before the onset of what became almost daily multiple attacks.  

The pain was the usual: stabbing, burning eye socket pain that bored into my brain. I thought that something inside my head had burst and was completely convinced that I only had a few minutes left before I lost consciousness and died.  I kept repeating, "I wanted to die in my sleep, not like this."  

Looking back, that attack was probably only a 6-7 and I can laugh about my reaction to it!  

CH has many different personalities .  I do hope you have something else like a sinus infection.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2004, 10:27pm by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
sportypants
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 5:32am »

Hello everyone,

In response to BobG's quote, this had remianed throughout the headaches, my natural instinct is to lie down, and if I do get up/move about, the pain is definately worsened, I have found that if I bury my head in a pillow and lie still I feel better after about 10 mins.

At this time of writing I have had no headache for 3 days but I can still feel there is a slight twinge (no pain at all) in the place the headache appeared, it seems like it has damaged the area where the pain was, the twinge is slightly to the right of the middle of my brow and just above the beginning of my eyebrow, just like a little 'flicker'.

I still have a really really heavy cold and am able to spit green mucus every hour or so from 'hocking' and am still holding out hope that the headaches were caused through my sinuses/cold.

I have also been taking nurofen plus for the last 3 days and am wondering if these are holding off the headache? Im going to continue taking the tablets until the twinge I described above goes.

Looking back at the symptoms I described in my first post, my eyes are weepy anyway as I have a slight eye infection (contact wearer, my underside of my eyelids are slightly rippled) and the blocked nose could be down to the really heavy cold?

Anyway still trying to get to the base of this and find out what the hells going on??

Once again thanks everyone for your support and benefit of experience, I really appreciate it Smiley

Regards,

JJ
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #15 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 6:20am »

Sportypants, if you're hocking green globs you might need more or different antibiotics, especially if they're coming from your lungs instead of your sinuses.  Call your MD.

Hope you feel better.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss