Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Morphing Cluster ??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Morphing Cluster ???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Morphing Cluster ???  (Read 534 times)
Skratta
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Morphing Cluster ???
« on: Mar 19th, 2004, 3:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At 53, I've had CH for 30 years -- last 10 chronic. I've been using verapamil, lithium, sansert, and oxygen. Now my Doctor tells me that the CH is morphing into migraine. Has anyone heard of this?
I'm dropping all CH medication for Maxalt (rizatriptan benzoate) and it's working great, but I'm taking it more often than it's prescribed.
Does anyone one know the drug?
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2004, 4:59pm by Skratta » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

Re: Morphing Cluster ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 3:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Skratta!

Very curious!
I have never heard of Ch morphing into migraine. What does he base this on I wonder.

Rizatriptan is another of the family of Triptans like Imitrex and Zomig and Frova. It was again developed as a migraine drug, but works for some Ch'ers.
I think it is usually in wafers, which dissolve faster than tabs, but still miles slower than injections and slower than nasal administration.

How much are you taking? Like all triptans you run a very real risk to your heart if you take too much.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2004, 3:52pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 8:32pm »

on Mar 19th, 2004, 3:45pm, Skratta wrote:
Now my Doctor tells me that the CH is morphing into migraine. Has anyone heard of this?
I'm dropping all CH medication for Maxalt (rizatriptan benzoate) and it's working great, but I'm taking it more often than it's prescribed.

Morphing to migraine. Plus or minus? Dunno. You'll be the first to know. Maxalt's a beauty.....but when you say
Quote:
I'm taking it more often than it's prescribed.

WHAT is the prescribed rate for `Grains? It's way different for CH than it is for Meeg's.  
No advice here,.

I _like_  triptans,
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Samantha_Smith
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2004, 8:37pm »

Hello! I sort of have the opposite problem in that my migraines and tension headaches (feel free to flame away) have been "morphing" into cluster headaches.  For a week I'll have a very bad constant tension headache (then they'll stop)and I'll have a series of migraines (then they'll stop) and then on the third week the cluster headaches will start. They'll go about 2 weeks and I'll blast them with Prednisone and then the cycle will wind down and then stop.  The beast is elusive, unpredictable, and strange.  Headaches changing their nature is not uncommon.

Maxalt is a good med for migraines. Did your doc specifically tell you to take more Maxalt than prescribed? If you are then maybe you should check back with your doc to make sure that's okay.

If you're not having cluster headaches anymore maybe its time to find a migraine message board for support and help. For your sake I hope that the CH are gone for good and all you'll have to deal with is migraines. I'll take a migraine over a CH any day of the week baby!!! Good luck.     PFD and N's to you.
IP Logged

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm."
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 5:12am »

Why does it have to be "morphing".

I had migraines all my fertile life.  
After the change the migraines practically stopped.
I got clusters instead.

One affliction stopped, the other arose. No morphing.

Also, I have had on at least one occasion, a migraine riding in on a cluster attack and lasting nearly all day, as migraines will. In the meantime I had my cluster attacks "on time".

No morphing there.

As to Maxalt - it is an accepted migraine medication and if it helps for some of the headaches, you may assume they are migraines.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 7:24am »

Answer is yes.  Several folks here have both types.

The definition of cluster has been modified in the last few years to account for the situation where someone has primary cluster but with some elements of migraine.

Does one type slowly change to become fully the other? I've not heard of it but it may be that it so uncommon that such change doesn't gain much attention in the medical literature.

If you end up with migraine as the dominant pattern, you have the benefit of several effective meds being available.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2004, 6:48pm »

I would be willing to take the chance to exchange my ch for migraine's!!!

Shit... I'd pay good money to have a ha that would put me in bed for 3 days!

As far as I'm concerned that's not a ha it's a freakin vacation!
IP Logged

Chris
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 5:43am »

D gets them all . . .ch, migraine, and tension . . .*ugh*  . .but we don't do triptans . . .good luck!
*positive energy and light*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Liz04
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 3:46pm »

Not sure about the morphing but I am sure about one thing....if you are taking too much of a triptan...you can actually make your pain worse.  You can develop something called a "rebound headache"
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 6:26pm »

Liz

Excessive doses of Triptans can kill you.
Rebounds from normal use of triptans has anecdotal support only. Rebounds are far more likely from overuse of painkillers or opiates, neither of which will help much anyway with CH

Wendy
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2004, 6:26pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
crazyauntboo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 9:22pm »

I've had CH since I was 13.  I'm now 32. They have changed quite a bit over the years.  I used to get them every 6 months, lasting about 2 months.  Now they come every 2 years and last about 1 month. Thank God!  Migraine medication or knowledge wasn't very advance back then and  I probably killed my liver overdosing on tylenol.  One doctor actually told me it was all psychological. Helllloooo!  I've tried every drug possible and found relief in only types of treatment.

One is sumatriptan and the other is oxygen.
Unfortunately the only form of sumatriptan that works is the shot. It's instant relief. However, it is super expensive and as you have mentioned it is very easy to take more of the medication then recommended.

I have overdosed on sumatriptan every cycle of my cluster and I'm still alive.  I know it's not the smartest thing but when you are in that much pain you take the risk.  I once gave myself 4 shots in a 24 hour period.

The only thing that gets me through it is that i know when my cycle is over, i'll have 2 pain free years.
So...I certainly wouldn't recommend exceeding the dosage, but if you have to I wouldn't worry excessively about it.  If you are otherwise in good health you should be okay.  

IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 9:41pm »

Crazyauntboo,

I dont think you overdosed in Imitrex unless it caused you severe side-effects like a heart attack or losing consciousness, or getting some rash or welt.  

2.5 to 1.0 male to female. Still seems odd that most posts are by women. Don't get it. I don't dismiss you have CHs, but these numbers are constanty tossed around. Just interesting.

-Freddy
IP Logged
Liz04
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 2:47am »

on Mar 21st, 2004, 6:26pm, pubgirl wrote:
Liz

Excessive doses of Triptans can kill you.
Rebounds from normal use of triptans has anecdotal support only. Rebounds are far more likely from overuse of painkillers or opiates, neither of which will help much anyway with CH

Wendy

I have used Imitrix for three months now for ch. During that time I did not take ONE opiate , or painkiller.  I developed rebound headaches from the triptan solely. And this was from taking one imitrix 50mg tab a day, which is far less the amount then i wanted to take for the pain.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 4:40am »

Haven't heard about that, but I do have bot CH and migraines.... Sad
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:48am »

Liz

That's what I mean by anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal rather than the result of research evidence. Sufferers like you and others often say they get triptan rebounds but when I ask the doctors about it they say "no medical evidence for it".

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though!

But doesn't alter the fact that rebounds are most commonly caused by overuse of OTC and other painkillers.
W
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:50am by pubgirl » IP Logged
Liz04
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:13pm »

Wendy,

I understand your "theories"  What I am saying is that I was not taking painkillers or opiates and still received rebound headaches solely from triptans.....period.  which is enough evidence for me anyway.

Liz
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:44pm »

Liz

You are completely missing the point. I'll give up in a minute.
No idea what you mean about "my theories". I don't usually have theories, I read medical reports.

I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU! There are many people like you who talk about rebounds from just taking triptans.  
I was NOT doubting what you were saying.
I was just letting you know that the medical profession haven't agreed yet and deny it if you ask them.
As I said, just because they deny it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Can we get back to the point of the thread now?

Phil
If your CH has gone into remission, or even, praise be, morphed into migraine or a CH/migraine variant, many of the treatments are the same anyway. I get both Ch and migraine and sometimes am confused at the outset of an attack which it is. To make life easy I just use 02 anyway, and it kills either!
Imigran and Zomig are used for both as well.
Makes life simple for me anyway

Wendy

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss