Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Deep Nerve Stem Removal »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Deep Nerve Stem Removal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Deep Nerve Stem Removal  (Read 400 times)
cah
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Deep Nerve Stem Removal
« on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi This is my first post.  I have been cronic since Nov of 2001, only been diagnosed since March of 2003.  Currently I am taking Inderal 60 mg 1x a day, Vioxx 25mg 1x a day Neurontin 600mg 3x a day and Topamax 250mg at night. and as an abortive  O2, Imatix, and Frova.  RIGHT now I am in the Middle of a NERVE BLOCK.
Which to me has become a life saver, It lasts 5 weeks 4 days, but I get 2 1/2 to 3 weeks of normal life, the first week is the up and the last week is the down, but i'll take it.  I am seriously thinking of the DEEP NERVE STEM REMOVAL procedure.  Because every time I come out of the nerve block the CH are worse than before, and the O2 takes longer, and longer to work.  Last time the O2 didnt even work in between blocks.  I have been eating the Imatrex like they are candy, My stock pile is running low.  So any input on the Nerve Removal Please.

Cindy
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

Re: Deep Nerve Stem Removal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 4:45pm »

Sorry dont have any info on the Removal, but I do understand about the clusters being worse after the Nerve blocks. But damn I wished mine lasted as long as yours, I have only gotten 3-4 days PF then I feel like hte beast comes back with a spiked f*ing club rather then the normal needle and base ball bat.  

Make sure you get second and third opinions first. Anything that is permanant scares the hell out of me.  

My mother got migrains and a doc tolked her into cutting the nerves at the back of her neck, this was back in the 60's. Her headaches actually got worse after wards and can not feel the entire side of her head.  She can hit her head hard enough to knock herself out and wake up not realizing what she has done.  

Good Luck but be careful.

PF Wishes to you,  
Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:11pm »

Be sure you have exhausted EVERY possible medication and treatment before you do anything irreversible.  You could come out worse off than before, with worse headaches or the same headaches plus side effects of the surgery.  

Have you tried verapamil, melatonin, psilocybin, nasal/injectable Imitrex, all the other triptans, verapamil PLUS lithium, etc.?  There may be dozens of other possibilities for both preventatives and abortives, especially if you have only been diagnosed for a year.  

Any good physician exhausts conservative treatment before proposing surgery.

These damned things are frustrating but think twice before permanent surgery that  may or may not work.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:11pm by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
cah
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:33pm »

Now I have been told that if I get the Nerve Stem cut that it would grow back after a year or two but at least it would be a year or two of relief.

I was on Lithium but on Lithium I was one constant headache.  I have tried Melitonin no success, the rest I have not.  I have told my Dr. that we do need to get agressive, because I do have a high tolerance to meds.

Thanks
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Add some Verapamil to the Lithium....Cant hurt to try.

Ive been chronic for nearly 30 years and that combo stops 90% of all headaches from even showing up.....Ive been taking it for well over ten years.

Cant hurt to try it

.................................jonny
IP Logged
cah
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:45pm »

Do you mean just the two meds and stop all others.?
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:45pm »

I can only agree with everyone else . . .exhaust everything else first . . . .more than one 'new surgery' that will 'fix it' hasn't fixed it . . .and people have been left the worse for it . . .be careful  . ..  
*positive energy and light*
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:47pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:33pm, cah wrote:
Now I have been told that if I get the Nerve Stem cut that it would grow back after a year or two but at least it would be a year or two of relief.

Thanks

No doctor could actually say that this WILL work for sure. If it was a SURE thing, we'd be lined up for it...it would be a (temp) cure. There is NO cure (yet)...only things we try.  
I'd be thinking of something a little less invasive. Surely you haven't tried everything. There are alot of different meds and combos to try. Try them.
Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
jonny

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:45pm, cah wrote:
Do you mean just the two meds and stop all others.?

I take Lith and Verap everyday, if a HA breaks through I have Zomig, but I can usually kill the HA with 02.

Like I said, 90% never show up.....Talk with your Doc.

....................................jonny
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:54pm by jonny » IP Logged
cah
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 8:01pm »

Thanks All this is the firt time I ever talked to anyone else who has CH.

Cindy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss