Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Alcohol & Imitrex ??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Alcohol & Imitrex ???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alcohol & Imitrex ???  (Read 455 times)
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

Alcohol & Imitrex ???
« on: Mar 21st, 2004, 9:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At least half the time I drink I get hit--it used to be every time.  Last night I had 1 1/2 glasses of wine and got hit.  Stopped it with the Imitrex--just love shooting up in the bathroom in a restaurant.      

1.  Would it be in really rude if I injected myself through my shirt under the table?

2.  Does anybody ever take Imitrex if they are going to drink?  (Like an abortive BEFORE the attack?)

3.  Does it work?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts about this.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

Re: Alcohol & Imitrex ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 10:54pm »

I don't/can't/won't drink at all when I'm in cycle so I can't say.

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2004, 11:53pm »

T,

Yeah, I'm a chronic non-drinker.  Solved a lot of problems.

Kevin M
IP Logged
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:42am »

1) Don't inject yourself through anything because you might inject small peices of fabric into your body.

2) Imitrex will not work as an abortive.  

3) Quit drinking, at least while in cycle, unless you just want to dance with the beast.

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Honestly, if I even smell some alcohol, a CH is triggerred during my cycles, which is happening now.

I do not see how anyone can drink alcoholic beverages during an episode. I know, everybody is different, but for me it is a sure-thing as a trigger.

B/T/W, I inject Imitrex through my sweatpants everytime. Maybe I shouldn't do that but it works and I have had no "fabricy" feelings after shooting up.

-Freddy
IP Logged
flavin
New Board Newbie
USA 

Give me Power to overcome

toddfranklin2001  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:31pm »

I found out that if i drink while taking the varap that i get really sleepy for about 40 mins.  

So im not going to drink until im done the meds.

I dont usually drink anyway  but only have a few here and there.
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:40pm »

I love to drink beer, but I've given it up in the past week or two after noticing the correlation between drinking and the sverity of ha's. However, Saturday I said fukit, and had about 6 beers...

BADBADBADBADBADBADBADBADBADBADBADBADBADBAD!!!!!!!!!

That's the night I used over 1000psi of O2 and was running for the tank every 30 minutes practically.

I'm a slow learner when it comes to denying myself things that I enjoy but are bad for me.

That lesson was completed Saturday night.
IP Logged

Chris
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:46pm »

I won't drink in cycle.  I hate to use imitrex, don't recommend using it unless you are ABORTING a high kip ch.
IP Logged
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 2:03pm »

Yes, No, and Don't know!

Grin
IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:02pm »

Well, I guess everybody confirmed what I already knew but didn't want to hear.

I'm chronic so I never get to drink safely.  Because of the verapamil and infrequent drinking I can only handle a couple of glasses of wine instead of half a bottle of whiskey.  

Thanks for the help---
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:03pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2004, 1:46pm, thomas wrote:
I won't drink in cycle.  I hate to use imitrex, don't recommend using it unless you are ABORTING a high kip ch.

Thomas, I don't like Imitrex either but I have used it to stop a shadow after having it all day despite the O2.  It worked fine.
IP Logged

forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:33pm »

Quote:
Would it be in really rude if I injected myself through my shirt under the table?

Here is one solution, give yourself the shot in your belly. usually below view by most and little bleeding.

As for drinking, been on lithuim for many years, drinking doesn't have any effect on me clusterwise but it did before lithium.

Lee
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:52pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:02pm, t_h_b wrote:
I'm chronic so I never get to drink safely.  Because of the verapamil and infrequent drinking I can only handle a couple of glasses of wine instead of half a bottle of whiskey.

I am chronic as well; beer is an absolute trigger for me.  Rum and wine trigger as well, but not everytime.  I have yet to be triggered from vodka, but I don't "pound" the stuff.  Tequila seems to be another "safe" one for me.  My suggestion...if you don't want to give up alcohol completely, experiment at home and see how various forms of alcohol affect you.  Keep the trex nearby and keep the alcohol consumption low to moderate until you know what it is going to do.  That is what I have done, and now I don't have to give it up completely.

I am still very paranoid even drinking things that have not triggered for me yet.  I am not sure if I will ever lose that feeling.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
jonny

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 6:59pm »

You poor bastards!

I swear the only reason im still alive is that nothing triggers my head, all those years with no meds was bad enough, if I had shit triggering me on top of that I doubt id be here now.

Long live the Clusterheads!!!!!

.........................jonny
IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22nd, 2004, 7:34pm »

I swear. I do not drink for the 3-month cycle, which I am in full-blast right now.

It is so odd though, that when in remission, alcohol NEVER causes a CH.

The brain is unbelievably complicated.  

-Freddy
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 6:42pm »

Imitrex does NOT work as an abortive. If I take Imitrex too soon, I waste it.

I guess if you think it's an even trade off, a KIP 10 for a glass of wine. Go for it.   Sad

Vodka, in very little moderation, seams to trigger the least amount of people from what I've read.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 7:07pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2004, 6:42pm, BlueMeanie wrote:

I guess if you think it's an even trade off, a KIP 10 for a glass of wine. Go for it.   Sad

Well, it's more like a 3 or 4 for a couple of minutes until the Imitrex kicks in and it's not every time I drink.  I've only had alcohol once or twice a month since getting these under control.  (Couldn't drink at all before.)

Interestingly enough, the Imitrex affects me differently when the attack is from drinking.  The attack escalates faster than normal.  Then instead of the Imitrex just knocking it out almost instantly after a couple of minutes delay, it takes a little longer to work and then just causes the pain to level out for a few minutes before knocking it out.

Still it's not really worth it but the only thing between me now and me pre-CH besides the medications and 02 tank is not being able to drink alcohol.  It would be nice to feel relatively normal again.  I think that's the real issue. Not being able to drink without fear of an attack is a reminder that CH is tricky and it's still there.
IP Logged

HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 8:44pm »

BlueMeanie??  How can you possible say Imitrex NOT being an abortive?

I am sorry if either I misunderstand your point or if it doesn't work for you.  

It is the most effective abortive. From what I know (don't bash), it is the only drug indicated for treatment of migraines AND cluster headaches. It has great statistics from the literature and CH-heads. Mostly, it has tremendous effects for me.

Maybe though, it just doesn't work for you. Too bad. Because it lifts it in 5 min everytime. It's like an f'en magic wand for me.

-Freddy
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 8:59pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2004, 8:44pm, HypnoticFreddy wrote:
BlueMeanie??  How can you possible say Imitrex NOT being an abortive?

Freddy, Your right. I meant as a prevent, to abort before the CH starts while drinking.

Imitrex works 80% of the time for me as an abortive. I don't drink when in cycle.
IP Logged
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 9:16pm »

Right on. I guess since my desire to imbibe isn't as strong as it was when I was a youngin (I am 31!!!).

Man, I know that if I have a drink, it will bring it on, and then I'd waste an Imitrex injection (if it works under those situations).

For those who can drink during CH cycles, all the power to you.

I think the amount of pain we deal with deserves counterpain.

We need to treat ourselves to some indulgances. It may be a message, accupunture, a joint, whatever. We deserve it because the pain is so intense, and never gets easier with time. Each one feels worse than the last (for those high Kip-level CHs).

-Freddy
IP Logged
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #20 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 4:14am »

Alcohol- definate trigger

beer- no relationship between hits and drinks

So I guess thats a bit of both.

B.T.W. I usually start smoking when in cycle

Turts
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss