Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Shakes, Heart goes Fast/ Slow »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Shakes, Heart goes Fast/ Slow
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Shakes, Heart goes Fast/ Slow  (Read 383 times)
Jill_R
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Shakes, Heart goes Fast/ Slow
« on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI ,
 I am in week 3 of an episode, not sleeping at all.  This time, I have had very bad shakes and get very cold.  I don't remember this from the past (I've had them 14 years now).  I shake uncontrollably.  Anyone else experience this?

Also, when I am "coming down", my heart seems to beat sooo slow, and I feel a pressure on my face, throat, chest.  During the high point of an attack, it is racing like crazy.

Am I normal in this abnormal, crazy world of clusters?

Thanks,
Jill
IP Logged
snyder
New Board Veteran
USA 

Nothing can hurt me as much as my head.

wsnyderman   ws366
Email

Re: The Shakes, Heart goes Fast/ Slow
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:26am »

Jil,

What, if any,  meds are you taking?

Bill
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:27am by snyder » IP Logged

"Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind." -- Edward Albee
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some disturbance to the heart rhythm with clusters is 'normal' (but not good).  The autonomic nervous system is out of whack in all of us.    

Worth visiting your doc to check for other things.  

The hypothalamus is involved in regulating a lot of processes, including the heart, body temp, the thyroid, etc - it may be that this time, it is spilling over to these processes.  

What meds do you use??
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:35am »

The meds are a good place to start.  

But I know that after a hard hit, I will get very cold and start shacking badly as well.  It is like I am chilled to the core of my bones and I cant stop. My teeth chatter everything.  My husband says that it is a reaction because I tense up so bad while I was dancing.  That I go from one extreme to the other.  

I did the same thing after having my daughter, I was shacking so bad after she was delivered that I could not hold her because I pushing so hard.  So it makes sense.  

I dont notice the heart thing, unless I take Imitrex then I feel my heart pounding.  

Talk to yout doctor about it as well.  It is always good to let him/her know what you are doing. the beast always seems to change once we think we know what he is doing.  

PF Wishes to you Jill,
Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
boomboom
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 4:36pm »

Jill,

My hubby had the same problem.  No sleep.  No consolation.  He would also get really hot and then really cold, then hot again.

Just do your best to try to make yourself comfortable and cozy and keep your loved ones nearby to cope with the pain and tears.

PF vibes, dear.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2004, 4:37pm by boomboom » IP Logged
Jill_R
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 5:44pm »

Thank you for all of your replies.  I can't tell you how very comforting it is to know I am not alone.  

About meds:  I was originally put on Relpax, felt no relief.  After waiting 24 hours, I went back to Maxalt, which has worked for me in the past but this time is doing nothing.  No relief.  (Imitrex and beta blockers used in past episodes did nothing either).   I would rather use nothing, than pump all the chemicals into my body if they are not working.  

For two days I have used nothing-- my hits are hard  and intense, and have been for the past 5 days. The head-bangers are finished after 30 - 45 minutes, then I have the "after stabs" for a couple of hours.  Then, when I lay down, thinking I am able to quietly sneak in some sleep,  the heavy monster comes again.  I have gotten absolutely zero relief from meds this time.

About the heart and shakes...  I went to my primary care doc today.  She ran an EKG, did bloodwork,etc.   She  also had a very interesting thought.  I was telling her how I know when they are about to come on, and how VERY afraid I become.  I fear another bout.    Her thoughts are that possibly the shakes and heart palpatations are from the intense anxiety of "looking forward" to another one.  Interesting.  She gave me Zolof for anxiety.  

It makes sense to me.  The Zolof will do nothing for the ch pain, I am sure, but the heart racing and shakes were scaring me.  I'll give it a try.  If I can get that under control, I know the headaches will go away eventually.

Thank you, Friends.

Jill
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 7:12pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2004, 5:44pm, Jill_R wrote:
Her thoughts are that possibly the shakes and heart palpatations are from the intense anxiety of "looking forward" to another one

"Anxiety" is exactly what I thought when I read the title of this thread before even looking at your post.  

Also keep in mind that if your heart is racing, you will feel anxious.  Either one can cause the other one.

Almost anything is normal in this "abnormal, crazy world of clusters."

Hope you feel better soon.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23rd, 2004, 7:49pm »

Hi, you must have thought of this, but lack of sleep alone will cause chilly feeling, shivering, heart racing.

Still, never hurts to have a doc check out the heart...

BTW, did you try oxygen? There is a very useful link to the left of this board and many get relief using O2 (the right way!) It is also non-toxic and is very soothing if it works as it should.

luck!
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24th, 2004, 3:03pm »

Sorry you have to deal with this horror. It can affect us in many ways.  My pressure certainly was affected by these attacks. When ended, my pressure nauturally dropped and I felt chilly. That I think is normal. I'm not sure if this is what you mean though.  

Stick around and look us over. You'll find a ton of information and some good ways to deal with these attacks.

Let us know how you're doing.

Here's something to try as well:

http://www.netsync.net/~charlies/

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pegase
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Hit the Road Jack...

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 8:31am »

i feel the same... sometimes i can be very cold and shaky and sometimes and Im all hot... the heartbeat seems normal though.

Drinking a lot of water during an attack seems to help me...

Pegase
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 11:02am »

Jill,
  With me the beast messes with the temperature I feel, during an attack I feel very hot, in the winter I can go outside in below zero temps without a coat and still feel hot, this really helps kill the beast, then when I start to get cold and shiver I go in because the attack is almost done. Even in the summer, I feel very cold after an attack, and have to bundle up. Of course not enough sleep can do strange things to everyone.

When you sleep try sleeping propped up or in a recliner, it really seems to help stop the attacks while sleeping for some people. It stopped working for me so I started taking melontonin, Start at a low dosage, 1mg, and increase nightly until you get some results, I use 15mg, be warned that it can make things worse for some people, so it is important to start at a low dose, also some no-med treatments areHERE

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Jill_R
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 11:47am »

Hi all,

This is day 3 of taking the Zoloft.  It has definitely regulated my heart.  As for the shakes, I still get them, but not as intense.  I am still ramping up my dosage, so maybe it will totally remove them.   It is exactly like Tia mentioned-- when I had my first son I shook uncontrollably aslo.

Thank you for the kind suggestions.  I am wondering if any of you have the same crazy cycle I have?

Sunday and Monday nights, I couldn't lay down - at all.  Intense pressure and jabs, but not the monster.  Even propped up with all my pillows in a sitting position, if I let my body slack and try to doze, within 15-30 minutes it would awaken me.   No sleep. (I told my husband last night that the one thing I couldn't wait to do was flop on our bed, and totally release all my muscles and slowly sink into sweet sleep...)  

Then, last night, the more usual, intense, intense MONSTER attacked.  Right after going to sleep, ZAM!  45 minutes of headbanging, I have-no-more-tears-left-pain.  But then, suddenly, it leaks away, and I am clear, and able to lay down for 4-5 hours before I am woken up with the pressure jabs.  

Do you all have these two types of pains?  I almost prefer the monster, because I can usually rest afterwards for a few hours.  It is the less intense pressure jabs are the ones that drain my energy, and won't let me sleep at all.  

This has been my cycle for the past 14 years.  I usually have 2 1/2 years between episodes, and count myself fortunate as I read some of your histories.  How can you live like this as a chronic sufferer?  My heart goes out to those of you.

Blessings,  

Jill
IP Logged
Jill_R
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 3:04pm »

Paul,

Thank you so much for the non-med suggestions.  I will try some of them that I have not tried yet.  

Blessings,

Jill
IP Logged
Jill_R
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 3:17pm »

Charlie,

Thank you for the  your website suggestion, also.  I am glad you found something that works for you.  It intrigues me.  Thanks,

Jill
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss