Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Breathing Room »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Breathing Room
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Breathing Room  (Read 296 times)
PittsburghJoe
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Go away pain!

joepauley  
Email

Breathing Room
« on: Mar 25th, 2004, 7:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone else do this?

If I'm in a cluster bout, whether The Beast is there or just lurking around, I HAVE to have a clear breathing space. Sharing air by being turned towrd sleeping partner, or having a kitty too near my face, or head down on a pillow or something just makes me feel like I'm suffocating at times.

Also, when I do have a HA, it sometimes feels like I'm inhaling dust and fibers or something, it can be really irritating just to breathe.

Any others out there like this?

Joe
IP Logged

Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight. Gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight. - Bruce Cockburn, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

Re: Breathing Room
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 7:48am »

I'm a claustrophobic mouth breather ALL of the time.  No fiber inhalation sensations.  Can't stand being in an elevator or on the train with the back of somebody's head in my face.  Women who toss their hair around in my face on the elevator get asked, politely, to stop.

What's really upsetting during an attack is having to breathe warm or "stale" air.  At work, where the windows don't open, I have to get outside.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
snyder
New Board Veteran
USA 

Nothing can hurt me as much as my head.

wsnyderman   ws366
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 7:49am »

I guess my interpretation of breathing room is different. When I am in a HA I need to feel that I am in complete control of the immediate space around me. I may have to go to another place (even if just another room) to guarantee this. I need to control things light amounts of light, volumn of sound, where things are placed, etc. Nothing can be changed while I am in pain or shadows.  

As far as being affected by being too close, etc., that all depends on how bad the pain is. The greater the pain the more irritating people are to me.

Additionally, once my pain reaches a certain level I cannot process questions. If asked a question, I hear it, I know it is a question, I seem to realize what needs to be done with it, but I can't respond. It is very frustrating.

Bill
IP Logged

"Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind." -- Edward Albee
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 7:54am »

on Mar 25th, 2004, 7:49am, wsnyder wrote:

Additionally, once my pain reaches a certain level I cannot process questions. If asked a question, I hear it, I know it is a question, I seem to realize what needs to be done with it, but I can't respond. It is very frustrating.

Bill

Definitely relate to that.  I stutter, can't think of even simple words, have trouble putting a sentence or a complete thought together.  It's like somebody took a whisk and frothed up my brain.  That's part of the reason I want to be left alone--it's too hard to talk to someone.  Usually I just say, "I'll be okay" or try to smile.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Jill_R
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 3:38pm »

I know what you mean, Joe.  I need cool, crisp, clean air when hit.  Even though I wrap my head as tightly as I can in a towel or fleece throw for warmth,  I need my nose, mouth and face air clear.  

Not a problem to get cool air this season in Michigan.  Can't wait for warmth---maybe then the CH's will go AWAY.

-Jill

IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 3:52pm »

on Mar 25th, 2004, 7:49am, wsnyder wrote:

Bill

This makes total sense to me as well.  One time I went to a new doc and started getting hit while I was waiting for him to come into the room.  When he got there he asked me to "explain what I was feeling". Besides wanting to punch him, all I could do was shake my head because each time I would try and get a word out I would seem to forget it before it could leave my lips.  

-Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Luke63
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

For sale:  1 BIG BARKING  HEAD   Price: Free

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 4:53pm »

I think anytime any of us get hit...we need our "SPACE"..that includes...air...alone in a room..noone around most of the time...yup I feel the same way...thats why Ive gotten to like that O2 tank...... Grin...Luke
IP Logged

I think we should all get together and do a movie..."Night of The Clusterheads". George Romero would have nothing on us!!!
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 6:09pm »

on Mar 25th, 2004, 3:38pm, Jill_R wrote:
 Can't wait for warmth---maybe then the CH's will go AWAY.

-Jill

From someone that lives in 80 and 90 degree weather right now and gets hit everyday, I can only say "don't count on it..." nono
IP Logged

Chris
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 11:17pm »

on Mar 25th, 2004, 6:09pm, Superpain wrote:

From someone that lives in 80 and 90 degree weather right now and gets hit everyday, I can only say "don't count on it..." nono

Have to agree. It was hitting 90 in parts of Vegas and I still had my wonderful visits from the beast.  

-Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss