Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is I or Ain't I?   »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is I or Ain't I?  
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is I or Ain't I?    (Read 314 times)
Jerry_b
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Is I or Ain't I?  
« on: Apr 14th, 2004, 1:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh  The doc says it sounds like ch, and the pain pattern sounds like what I read here.  But the hits don't seem to follow any schedule.  I get one about every three days but at different times of the day.

One woke me up one night after I had been in bed for about an hour.  I started drinking water. Also, nicotine is a vasso-constrictor, right? Grin So I loaded up the pipe and fired it off.  I have responded to later attacks with the pipe; and with water and with tonic water, both clusterhead suggestions..  The attacks were shorter, but I don't know if I aborted the attacks or if they just went away on their own. One day at work I had shadows; and got to know the water cooler very well, but no full-blown attack. Obviously, this doesn't work for everbody here, or tonic water would be very expensive.laugh

I don't think the two rounds of prednisone the doc gave me prevented much. Pain Killers? slowlaugh

Anyhoo, I'm planning a campaign upon my PCP to think about a neuro referal, to rule out other things.  I'm sixty-three, a late bloomer; except that the pain was familiar and must have been arond for a time.
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Is I or Ain't I?  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 1:39pm »

Hello Jerry

They can hit you anytime.  Once every three days... smile!  How do you fare on the 'cluster quiz' over on the left?  Sound like you?

My first nighttime one is consistent... 0200.  The next one can be anytime.  The daytime ones happen whenever they feel like it.  Severity is pretty random for any of them.

How much pred did you take & for how long?

Rock
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 6:44pm »

Jerry,

I have no real daily cycle to my attacks other than I will most likely get hit at some point every day.  Some days, I can get five attacks...some days, none.  

Chronic's point of view...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Jerry

Random attacks are more than possible with ECH, though if your attacks are ALWAYS random, that does suggest something else.

What is more significant is how long the attacks last, what the pain is like and where it is located, whether there are other symptoms at the same time (autonomic symptoms such as weeping/reddening eye, blocked/runny nose, and also what you do while the attack lasts e.g. lie down/move about.
The other indicator is what treatments work, and what don't.

Wendy
IP Logged
Jerry_b
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 9:45pm »

on Apr 14th, 2004, 1:39pm, Rock_Lobster wrote:
Hello Jerry

They can hit you anytime.  Once every three days... smile!  How do you fare on the 'cluster quiz' over on the left?  Sound like you?

Sounds like me,OK, recently, anyway. Haven't had enuff evperiece to answer some questios. Rock
[color=Blue][/color] Roll Eyes

My first nighttime one is consistent... 0200.  The next one can be anytime.  The daytime ones happen whenever they feel like it.  Severity is pretty random for any of them.

How much pred did you take & for how long?  

Started an 8-day tapering round from 40mg; then the doc restarted with a second taper from 60 mg. About ten days, I guess
IP Logged
Jerry_b
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 9:52pm »

on Apr 14th, 2004, 8:02pm, pubgirl wrote:
Jerry

Random attacks are more than possible with ECH, though if your attacks are ALWAYS random, that does suggest something else.

What is more significant is how long the attacks last, what the pain is like and where it is located, whether there are other symptoms at the same time (autonomic symptoms such as weeping/reddening eye, blocked/runny nose, and also what you do while the attack lasts e.g. lie down/move about.
The other indicator is what treatments work, and what don't.

Wendy

Water/ tonic water aborts it most of the time.  Since I read about it here, in fact. I think a hit of the pipe helps, but don't know.  Have done pacing and hair pulling (my own Tongue)
IP Logged
west17m
New Board Newbie

Call me Tag

west17m
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 3:22pm »

Hey HA's don't settle into something predictable until I start up my verapamil which lowers severity for me and many others.  Most family practioners are very familar with verapamil as prescribed for hypertension so he or she should have little reservations trying that out.  One note is that the normal dosage for CH is almost an order of magnitude higher than for hypertension (I take 600mg/day) so letting your doc know you'd like to ramp to that level is a good idea.

Imitrex and zomig are both abortitives your doc should also be familar with, and you can probably get samples for either from them ... just don't ever mix them.

From my personal experience, I've found more docs are willing to start like this than to go right to oxygen and some of the other meds that are more recent on the scene.  Let us know how you're doing.

-- Tag
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss