Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Working with CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Working with CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working with CH  (Read 255 times)
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Working with CH
« on: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I work at an industrial supply company and today at work I started to get shadows. I was with a customer and here came the shadows. Then, 15 min later I got a major hit. I couldn't stop to take anything right away, and found myself in the warehouse banging my head on the wall. It lasted about 15 min (thank god). My boss could tell I wasn't doing too well,but he didn't ask and I didn't tell.

After the attack I was a little shaky, but when the pain was gone, I was in bliss!!  There is such a huge difference between having a red hot spike run through my eyeball and being pain FREE!

There was such a change in my behavior, my boss must have thought I was on drugs (the illegal kind), but it felt soooooo good not to be in pain.

I haven't brought up the ch to anyone at work, it would be considered a weakness. I have gone to the ER at 2am and gone to work at 7am. I've been told by doctors, nurses and dentists that I have a high tolerance for pain. Undecided
Unfortunate.y, o2 and most meds don't work for me, and I don't get any sick days, they made me part time and took away all benefits like insurance and vac time.

How does anyone else handle the work situation?

purpleydog

IP Logged

HypnoticFreddy

Email

Re: Working with CH
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, for one thing, it sounded like you got a euophoric rush after the CH went away. That is normal for me in any attack.

I have definitely been hit a few times in a work-environment, but I was able to sneak off for 20 min somewhere were no one was at.

I'd say keep Oxygen or 'Trex in your car.  

-Scott
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:37pm »

Being in the line of work that you are is tough.  I know that there i a good letter to hand out to your boss so that he at least understand what is happening. But if you are on weak footing with them that might not be the best idea either.   But if you got laid off you could use that as a basis for unemployeement.  

That might not such a bad idea. Talk to cerebus about unemployeement and having them help with job placement and or training into another line of work that will allow for CH at least more then your current one.  

It is hard for any of us that get hit at work. I am luck in that i can get into an emplty office auntilit is over.  And my boss and co-workers understand and know leave me alone.  But there are people who have to either take time off work or try and not let it slow. That is tough. Wish there was more I could say to help.  

-PF Wishes to you,
-Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think I have been told than some insurance companies will pay for some sort of disability for migraines. Now if thats true, why shouldn't they do so for clusters?  

Could some sort of lobbying happen to get the same sort of coverage for cluster headaches? I mean, me personally, I like my job, and would like to work, but if I had an episode like episode #2 in '99, I don't think I could work. I was getting up to 6/day for 3-4 months.  

I wonder about this. Any thoughts?

-Scott
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:46pm by HypnoticFreddy » IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 12:33am »

I really like my job and the work that I do. When I was cut to part time, it really was a blessing, it cut back on my stress level.  My experience with docs is that most neither know nor want to treat patients with acute/ chronic headaches. Even tho the CH are dis-abling, I refuse to be disabled by them. I have just started a new cycle and I'm sure I'll be eating the words in the last sentence before its over. Embarassed  I suppose one could claim disability if the doc wrote it up as migraines. Speaking of which, mine are rearing their ugly head for the annual spring season, when I get a 3 wk long migraine plus the peaking CH cycle.
Speaking for myself, I don't dwell too much on the fact another cycle is starting, which is probly why I'm surprised when it starts. I don't have time to deal with them, and that thought lets me get on with my life
IP Logged

UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 1:29am »

on Apr 17th, 2004, 12:33am, purpleydog wrote:
Even tho the CH are dis-abling, I refuse to be disabled by them.  I suppose one could claim disability if the doc wrote it up as migraines.

First of all, people don't choose to be disabled.  
Second, your doc doesn't need to write 'it up as migraines'. The federal government recognizes CH as a disabeling condition. If someone is going to go that route, the NEURO should write it up as Chronic Cluster Headaches.
PS...no one would ever get any type of disability for 'regular' migraines or tension headaches. Having Chronic daily migraines, Chronic daily headaches, or Chronic Clusters would be the only way to possibly qualilfy for any disability. IT MUST BE A CHRONIC CONDITION IN WHICH THE DOCTORS BELIEVE YOU WON'T BECOME ANY BETTER WITHIN A FULL YEAR.

Unsolved
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2004, 1:36am by UN_SOLVED » IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss